Windows 8 CP: Normal Install or Virtual Machine?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Mazrim Taim, Feb 26, 2012.

?

W8 CP: Normal Install or Virtual Machine?

1. Normal Install (for instance Old PC or Dual Boot)

158 vote(s)
    74.5%
  2. Virtual Machine

41 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. Other (Please specify in reply)

13 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I will install WCP in my new Dell-i3 laptop as default OS as I had WDP on old Asus laptop from the beginning....:D

2. Jones111

Jones111 MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2009
    I've voted 'Normal Install', but I suggest that you add 'Development PC' and 'All Computers'.

I'll install the developer Preview on 4 of 5 PCs and the one that is excluded is the one of my sister. I'll have to convince her first.

It's rock&roll man! :blowup:

3. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    Main OS without dual boot on my new laptop I'm getting.
    Most likely going order tonight so it arrives tomorrow, then going check it around since it's new of course.

Wednesday I format the HDD so I get rid of all the bloat software added by the laptop maker and install WCP on it, then I transfer the data of my W7 laptop over to it. The W7 laptop I'm on now gets a cleanup when done and might install server on it.. not sure yet.

4. Mazrim Taim

Mazrim Taim MDL Member

Feb 23, 2012

VHD Boot is something I've never done either. But it seems interesting and fairly easy to set up. A performance decrease of about 3% shouldn't be too much of a problem.

So laptop Virtual Machine, desktop VHD Boot. All I need now is the ISO. :cool:

5. Iceman.

Iceman. MDL Member

Feb 21, 2011
    I would use normal install and use it as a main OS.

6. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    WCP can be installed on a Portable Hard Disk using Windows to Go, right?

7. Moon.lSd

Moon.lSd MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2011
    Virtual Machine ofc, because of my work and my HDD dont allow me to install directly on my machine :p

8. spion

spion MDL Member

Mar 27, 2010
    I am going to run it in a VM on VMware Workstation 8 and after that i am gonna create a VHD and dual boot from it.

9. matej

matej MDL Member

Jun 26, 2011
    I think that's not included in WCP, but I hope we can still use the method by using 7989 for Windows To Go

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Optimus.8

Optimus.8 MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2011
    Someone could explain me (detailed) how dual boot Win7 and Win8 (x64) in the same SSD? I've tried it with WDP but the boot of Win7 partition became corrupt :( please help me :worthy: thanks

11. =)(=

=)(= Guest

I will be using it as main OS.. if it will be buggy and apps will not work properly then i will restore back W7 with Image for windows.

12. makzk

makzk MDL Member

Dec 25, 2011
    I'll test it first on VMware8, then I'll install it on my lap with triple boot (I have Ubuntu, W7 and WDP, replacing the last one).
    If everything goes well, I'll say bye bye to W7 :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    Really? Can anyone confirm this please?
    I hope Windows to Go will be included in WCP.

14. mallo

mallo MDL Junior Member

Feb 3, 2011
    I want install on physical PC ! There is no better way to test an OS... ;)

15. ricktendo64

ricktendo64 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2008
    Real install to a VHD this way its easier to get rid of

16. chevell

chevell MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    I'm going to use a seperate HDD this time on my regular PC rather than partitioning my SSD. Dual booting using a seperate partition really has it's draw backs with Windows 8.

I guess I'll have to figure out how to turn off the metro UI because it's really more of a touch screen option that is obviously geared towards pad,notebook and phone devices. I don't need user made apps on my PC because it's not an Iphone, NO thanks for the gimmick msoft but no way am I using the Metro UI.

There are other aspects of Windows 8 that I can see are greatly improved over Windows 7 and this compels me to keep trying it. This is despite the lack of start/controls which I'm sure will be easy enough to get around.

Windows 8 tends to deactivate any and all loaders if it's on the same drive as Windows 7. Easy enough to fix by just running the loader again but it doesn't make for a nice user experience.

17. mateuszd

mateuszd MDL Member

Mar 22, 2010
    I'll install to VHD and dual boot.
    My convertible laptop with a touch screen isn't strong enough to run Windows 8 on VMware on top of Windows 7 (plus the touch screen wouldn't work) :cool:

18. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    I don't think its possible to disable Metro on WCP using the registry hack.

19. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    WCP does not come with MetroUI disabler?:confused: