Windows 8 CPU Feature Patch (Bypass Windows 8 CPU feature checks)

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by Jan1, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. george-x

george-x MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2013
    I have already tried this, same result. It doesn't say it failed, it shouldn't.

3. mario92

mario92 MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2013
    So...

Pentium P4 2.0A
    2GB DDR 400MHz
    Radeon 9600Pro
    HDD Seagate 80GB PATA
    VIA motherboard

After hours of screwing around with install.wim I finally managed to install Win8.1 Pro (legit ofc) on that 11 years old rig. It was clean install with completely formatted HDD via WinPE.

It installed Windows 8 Core which I had to update to Pro. In that update process I had three BSODs -> MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR and REFERENCE_BY_POINTER. All three of them were caused by ntokrnl.exe.

I used murphy78s latest Windows AIO Pro x86 with slipstreamed updates until this month (July). Update to Pro, despite BSODs, completed successfully and now I have uptime over an hour without problems.

I am starting to install apps, for now all the essential apps (CCleaner, Speccy, Revo Uninstaller, legacy ATI drivers) are working properly. Windows Activation had some hiccups (PC Settings would crash) but I managed to insert my MSDN key and Windows is activated!

I will test it out a bit more, some syncs and updates (not Windows Updates) and I will let my PC work over night.

BSODs are a bit worrysome but if they stop (or if I find cause) I think Win8.1 will definitely replace Windows 7 that worked (a bit slowly though) for the last 2 years.

4. dwray

dwray MDL Novice

May 1, 2014
    On my laptop that I did with ATI x1250 graphics, I couldn't get some of the metro apps to run until I used Mobility Modder. The legacy drivers installed correct, but something about it wouldn't let apps like Netflix and Hulu run. I had to run the driver through Mobility Modder on my XP machine for it to work. Don't know about the 9600 PRO, and was gonna do it on my other computer with HD 2400 PRO AGP, but started a new build and never did it.

5. mario92

mario92 MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2013
    Aaaaaand nope, OS is crashing every ~30 minutes. It's always ntokrnl with various error messages.

It seems like some recent update messed up with ntokrnl or some system component has to use NX or SSE2.

Is there a way to patch ntokrnl only to mess with NX? My CPU supports SSE2 but doesn't support NX so I would like to minimise any compatibility issues so I would like to have SSE2 up and running.

Or, is it possible that Windows Defender makes trouble? IIRC Defender is one of those apps that possibly use NX/SSE2.

6. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    Great tool, I've used it on some old computers and everything works fine!

Any possibility of adding some basic command line support? Something like "W8CPUFeaturePatch.exe /PAE C:\Windows\System32 /nobackup" would be cool. That way we could use it in a batch along with coreinfo.exe from Systernals to check which patches were needed ;)

8. trianggulo

trianggulo MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2014
    I am still confuse. please someone help me!. the way is too long, any instant way?

9. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    Yes.
    Continue to use the operating system that is now installed on your computer.

10. mmmirkec

mmmirkec MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2013
  11. radixx11

radixx11 MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2013
    Of course it doesn't work. The ntoskrnl.exe file on both systems are completely different at code level. It's necessary to make a new analysis of this file to find the routine that check CPU features and create a new patch for it.

12. Harsh.gundecha

Harsh.gundecha MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    when exactly will i have to run it for patching the feature check?????;)

13. angelzgh

angelzgh MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2013
    HOW windows 10 tp for CPU doesn't support SSE2, NX ?

14. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
  15. spc9999

spc9999 MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2014
    I want to patch to enable the Pentium 3 CPU

Windows 8.1 , Windows 10 TP

16. peplegal

peplegal MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2014
    Hi people !

I'm getting eternal rebooting at begining of installation if I patch those 4 files...OR...eternal spinning dots if I patch only 3 files and keep HALMACPI.DLL original.

Any tip of what I'm doing Wrong ??? (apparentely my motherboard has some impact on this, but I don't know why).

DETAILS :

- I'm doing the install procedure from Win 7, not creating any extra partitions, just calling setup.exe from 'source' folder in Win 8.1 disk.

This creates 2 big folder inside disk c: ($WINDOWS.~BT and $WINDOWS.~LS)...and I'm patching system32 folder inside the first one.

- The target system is : AMD Athlon X2 3800+ / 2GB RAM / motherboard ECS RS-480 (939)

EDIT :

- I forgot to say : I can start normal installation without any problem when booting from Win 8.1 Disk, even without any patching. I fill out the Product Key...No message saying my system is not compatible. The problem is : after Installer finishes copying all files...then the system goes to first normal reboot...and then those fuc* spinning dots last forever.

17. hunglee92

hunglee92 MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2014
    can i help you instrall ... ?

18. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010