Windows 8 Deactivated

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by KrlzGmz, Aug 26, 2012.

1. KrlzGmz

KrlzGmz MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    At first I thought my email was flagged (I installed Windows using local account, so I had to supply my email address to each microsoft app) but I had a friend over, he reinstalled Windows and recovered his activation, and we used my supposedly flagged email on the store, and evrything was fine.

Then I reinstalled my Windows, recovered my activation and used another email address. My Windows was instantly deactivated.

My conclusion, my exact activation (combination of the key I used + unique computer ID maybe?) Is flagged on Microsoft server and the store is silently checking as soon as I log in.

2. CuteBirdy

CuteBirdy MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2012
    What if you reinstall your Windows and recover your activation, but don't use any email address or store? Is it still deactivated?

So is the conclusion to avoid using the Store completely, in order to preserve activation?

3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    beat me to it, good question

4. KrlzGmz

KrlzGmz MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    #24 KrlzGmz, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    (OP)
    I have no idea what flagged my Activation, and I can't exactly blame the store because I was using it for a couple days.
    But yes, if your activation gets flagged, reinstalling Windows, restoring your "flagged" activation and avoiding store should keep you activated.

Anyways, that's just silly for me, without the store, the new Start menu loses it's appeal to me. I resorted to phone activation (I'm not exactly sure we can discuss that here) and if that fails in the following days, I'm installing Enterprise Eval. It'll give me 180 days of peace of mind.

5. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #25 derausgewanderte, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    sorry to hear your troubles. Sounds like a hiccup on yours.
    There must be hundreds of people being affected if it wasn't an isolated case and they'd be looking here at MDL for a solution and find this thread.
    curious what caused it. hopefully it is something simple in the end.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    did you register for the 14.99 upgrade? It's just the cost of a decent dinner, and if you make it, it will give you total peace of mind. :D

7. KrlzGmz

KrlzGmz MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    Do I need a valid Windows 7 license/product key to apply? Because the last fully licensed copy of Windows I bought was around...
    Nope, I've never bought a licensed copy of Windows in my life.

8. derausgewanderte

Jul 21, 2009
    #28 derausgewanderte, Aug 28, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
  10. derausgewanderte

Jul 21, 2009
    #30 derausgewanderte, Aug 28, 2012
    so you will really only know October 26 then. Is that what you mean by sit back and wait for the code? And that would mean nobody really knows whether this will work - until then....?

11. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    Right, until you pay and get the key, nothing is 100% sure; but firstly, it cost you nothing(except the few minutes spent to submit); 2ndly, by now there must be hundreds of thousands, if not millions of "approved submissions",MS doesn't have the COA or purchase records and couldn't do it by a server-automated-check, and must do it thru the OEM's and retailers - you think MS would do that?

I think MS might check on some fishy applications, like 5-machine per MSa/c, or randomly pick on some unlucky chaps. :D

12. derausgewanderte

Jul 21, 2009
    ok, let's check back Oct 26 then. thanks
    btw. on the registration site it reads that the browser will sent info about the system you use to register (no personal info, system info). I guess that is where others may have stumbled when they tried more than once....

13. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    why does Microsoft deactivate for driver change? couldn't they find a more effective way to deactivate people using a leaked KMS if they really wanted to? and if they don't care to bother doing that why hassle people w/ driver updates? i don't get it.

14. derausgewanderte

Jul 21, 2009
    It is to prevent people from copying the OS from one system to another, not to punish people who used a leaked KMS. The problem is that sometimes a driver change might trigger a hardware ID change that causes the system to get de-activated. If you have a legit key then you just call MS and get it fixed over the phone. There is a limit on re-activating an OS in addition to this.