Windows 8 DP - Your Experience.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Kido, Jan 19, 2012.

1. chevell

chevell MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    The lack of an easily accessable shut down button is pretty lame. :Flush:

I can get to the shut down button most of the time by hovering over the start button "left" which gets me a small context menu, from there I click the "settings" button, after that I can actually find the shut off button way over to the right on Metro. Why does this need to be so difficult? The bigger problem is that the context menu at the start button is not reliable for me and only seems to show up when it wants too, I think it's a bug. Perhaps there is another way to get to the shut down button that I'm not seeing? :confused:

I also have another super annoying bug, when the mouse pointer touches the left side of the screen it locks up my PC for a good ten seconds, after that it unlocks and the pointer ends up on the other side of the screen. I'm sure this is just another bug or driver problem which will be fixed soon. :wallbash:

The Metro interface is lame, who cares about a bunch of games and useless apps on a PC? I feel like Msoft is trying to sell me something here and I just don't want it.
    There must be an easier way to get to the control panel and other controls without having to be constantly tripping over Metro, I ended up having to add links for the controls to my taskbar? Maybe there is a setting in Metro that I missed for this?

I did see many features that I liked better than Windows 7, like the networking and Homegroup set up, which seems to be more streamlined and easier to use, moving files on the network also seems to be faster. Also the required log in using my Windows live account password should be optional instead of mandatory.

Windows Media Player did not work for me but VLC worked fine.

There must be a way to streamline or eliminate the Metro interface and I'd like to see a more simple way to access controls without having to go into Metro for everything.

I also noticed that Windows security essentials in Win 8 scans both partitions and removes the Daz loader from Win 7 resulting in the not genuine being displayed when you return to Win 7. Either that or it's one of the updates for Win 8 doing this. It's easy enough to fix by running the loader again but it seems strange to me.

2. kyeahy

kyeahy MDL Junior Member

Apr 1, 2011
    I love Metro, I love Metro, I also think I love Metro. Also, I loved Metro a lot in the DP, ooh, and Metro too!
    And did I mention I loved Metro?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. matej

matej MDL Member

Jun 26, 2011
    It even runs on my 9 year old Compaq with 756 MB RAM and Pentium 4. With Aero Glass. Without the proper video drivers. Epic awesomeness. :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. arseny92

arseny92 MDL Secret Weapon

Sep 22, 2009
    Must be software rendering of DWM by the CPU.

5. matej

matej MDL Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Its graphics are integrated in the CPU, so it could be that the CPU is helping a little. :) Metro though is slower than Aero. Kinda strange imo

6. Misaki2010

Misaki2010 MDL Addicted

Jul 14, 2009
    All I can say is - Windows 8 Developer Preview is the best OS I've tried until this moment :) I would never ever go back to Windows 7 :)

7. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    I agree with you.

8. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Hi Misaki,

well said, exept of all Metro Crap :puke: :puke: :puke:

Ages til 12 years( yeah so beautiful full of colours, is fashinating to young boys!!) and for 60 years old on(OLD people as Yen said)

Know what?
    Windows 8?

no i'll call Windows 7989, best and usefull features of Windows 8 melted with fullty functionality of Windows 7.....

Consumer Preview? yep a bunch of new metro apps and games, a new logo, and the start orb removed? All of this garbage working very well on touch gesture monitors and tablets?
    Uauuu:Lighten:

I'll just wait for masters here for a new tool to activate Windows 8, hoping will activate 7989 too.....

Follow the flood people, i will use still for a few years a desktop computer, and a notebook, without sense with a New Windows 8 interface.

:D

9. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I think that MS will let the users to choose between metro and classic interface....That is better solution