Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by freenet9969, May 31, 2013.

1. ronc

ronc MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    #21 ronc, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
    Not exactly. I just installed Windows and have made some observations about how it looks prior to activation. I have not yet installed KMSpico. I know I will have to. I'm just wondering if the conditions I quoted in my post is what happens for someone using an msdn iso from Microsoft or if it only happens for someone using the delta file to create the iso from the Microsoft evaluation iso, BEFORE activation. If they are different experiences, then I guess the only way to get it working would be to use KMSpico or something like it. I didn't want to install KMSpico if there was something wrong with the iso I installed, especially since I've never used either msdn or KMSpico before.

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    #22 Carlos Detweiller, Jun 18, 2013
    At least the Activation Details containing that message is perfectly normal. Since Windows 8 doesn't have a grace period (30 days) anymore, it immediately attempts activation. The message is simply the result of that attempt.

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Regarding that behaviour no clue here either, as i don´t use MS account on "pirated" Windows :D. Afaik the converted ISO should behave like any "normal" MSDN one.
    Due to there is no feature in Enterprise i need, i´m using Win 8 Pro Retail, activated via KMS (it only needs to install proper VL Key :cool2:).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ronc

ronc MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    In post #13 I quoted from Microsoft "When activation is required, many products - including Windows and Office - allow you to install and use the product without activation for 30 days or more. If you re-image your computers frequently (i.e. once every 30 days), consider NOT activating the product. Product keys supplied as part of your MSDN subscription do not allow unlimited activations of a product." So that sounds to me like I may be in a grace period, unactivated...but with a notification to activate. However, according to slmgr /xpr I'm in Notification Mode, so I guess that means I don't have much time, just don't know how much.

5. ronc

ronc MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    Actually that is the version I prefer (since I'd like to be able to add Media Center) but I haven't found an Enterprise Eval >> Pro Delta (svf) file or something similar.

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    You need to follow this route: Enterprise Eval -> Enterprise -> Pro

:D

7. ronc

ronc MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    Thanks. I'll look for the smart version delta for moving from Enterprise to Pro.

My Enterprise install seems to have activated ok thanks to KMSpico. I also disabled SmartScreen and made the appropriate exceptions in Defender. I wonder if I will be able to install all the Windows updates. (I noticed the optional instructions for the earlier 4.5 version included a suggestion to "disable Microsoft security updates". Did not see that in version 6.)

8. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    No problems with updates so far :D.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Bytebuster

Bytebuster MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2013
  10. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    #30 Snuffy, Jun 18, 2013
    Why not just use the Windows 8 Evaluation Edition "For Ever Method" ... since he seems to not want to VL or Retail.

11. ronc

ronc MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    I think I need Pro to add Media Center. So I'd guess I would use: en_windows_8_enterprise_x86_dvd_917587.iso ---> en_windows_8_pro_vl_x86_dvd_917830.iso (12.9 MB). Doesn't KMSpico work for both retail and volume license?

12. ronc

ronc MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    I was using Windows 7 Enterprise Evaluation until Microsoft ended the activations. The Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluations can't be activated after mid August of this year. So I don't understand what is meant by "For Ever Method", but it seems like KMSpico should work on vl and retail. What did I say that implied I did not want VL or Retail?

13. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    WMC is not available for Pro VL, you will need the Retail version.

14. Bytebuster

Bytebuster MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2013
    #34 Bytebuster, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  15. ronc

ronc MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    #35 ronc, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
    I did that and have been using KMSPico v6 for a few weeks on the msdn version of Win8 Enterprise. Since I had previously been using the Eval version on similar hardware, I expected it to behave similarly. But there is one annoying problem. I've noticed my fan cycling on most of the time and going off for a much shorter time. Finally I decided to check Task Manager to see what was causing the activity. What I noticed was that the "Microsoft Software Protection Service" was staying around 44% CPU for six minutes at a time while the fan was on, but disappeared from the task manager list as soon as the KMSPico service moved briefly from 0 to a fraction of a % and then back to 0. But the MSSPS came back two minures later. As a result out of every 8 minute period, it's only quiet for 2 minutes. I have checked the PC with the Evaluation copy and found that MSSPS is always "stopped" even though it's set up for a "delayed start" (which, btw, is greyed out and can't be changed on the Eval version).

Is there any way to make KMSPico respond sooner?

Is it normal for the MSDN version to keep MSSPS running for most of the time if one used the normal Microsoft servers instead of KMSPico?

Would it help to update from v6 to the newer v8.4? If I were to try it should the older version be uninstalled first?

16. ronc

ronc MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    Thanks it worked, the continuous cycling of cpu caused by mssps is gone! However there is a residue of this problem. When the system properties window is open, mssps appears for 6 minutes (along with the high cpu and fan speed) until the "Windows is activated" phrase appears under activation. A similar problem occurs when the Windows Store is opened: it takes 6 minutes for the green screen to disappear while the mssps runs. Apparently, whenever Windows Activation needs to be verified, mssps must run for 6 minutes along with high cpu and fan speed before actvation is verified.

17. ronc

ronc MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    #37 ronc, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    When opening the first svf file I got an error that my source file didn't match the source file in the svf file. Could that be due to the file names being different?

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Short answer: NO! The filename didn't matter, what matters is the integrity of the ISO or SVF File itself!

19. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    check source Sha-1 hash of your source file, as pisthai has said names don't matter.

20. ronc

ronc MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    #40 ronc, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    The first link for the first SVF file provided by bytebuster led me to a page containing links to several SVF files for different conversions. I scrolled down to the bottom of the list to find the correct one for my source ISO and target (desired) ISO. However, I should have scrolled down further, past the instructions about how to use SmartVersion to find the answer (quoted below). Apparently each SVF file needs to see its source ISO with the correct name! So SmartVersion produced no error and created the desired ISO after I renamed my source file.

"N.B: You may got an a file name error on these patches: (just rename your iso as mentioned below)

win8_Ent_x64_to_x86.svf
    9200.16384.120725-1247_x64frev_Enterprise_VL_HRM_CENA_X64FREV_EN-US_DVD.iso
    W8_x86---=Ent_x86.svf
    Windows_8_EN-US_x86.iso
    win8_x64-to_Ent_vl_x64.svf
    Windows_8_EN-US_x64.iso
    win8_x86to_pro_vl_x86.svf
    Windows_8_EN-US_x86.iso
    Win8Ent_x86-To-win8_x86.svf
    9200.16384.120725-1247_x86frev_Enterprise_VL_HRM_CENA_X86FREV_EN-US_DVD.iso
    win8x64_to_pro_vl_x64.svf
    Windows_8_EN-US_x64.iso"

However pisthai is not necessarily wrong. SmartVersion did give me the option to use the file without renaming it since it asked "Do you want to use the file anyway?" So it may have worked anyway if I had said yes.