Windows 8 Enterprise N RTM findings; what's working and what's not...

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by xscess, Aug 3, 2012.

1. xetsog

xetsog MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2011
    How did you manage that? I get a black screen when I apply the patch on RTM.

2. akf

akf MDL Senior Member

Aug 17, 2010
    @Yen
    Yes, I agree with you. :worthy: Are you suggesting that the performance improvement M$ has made in Windows 8, as compared to Windows 7, is fairly minimal? Only because they removes Aero UI, they make Windows 8 appear to be much faster than Windows 7, than what it should be?

3. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Hmm, yea for a true test, a host PC would probably be best, but iirc, my dpc latency under W7 under VMware wasn't too bad either. In any case, if you want to give it a try, please do :)

4. Heidegger

Heidegger MDL Member

Mar 17, 2008
    My latency is low on idle too (~20us), but once you start running any programs it jumps up to ~1000 and hovers there.

5. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    That's good. Because I have read some posts on the web that said that Microsoft ripped out the code to get the start button and start menu back. And that Classic Shell,Vi Start and other software won't work in the RTM version. But they are the same people who said that about Windows 8 Release Preview. And they were wrong.

But as I only have netbooks and 1GB of ram,I can't install the 64 bit version of Windows 8. I can only install 32 bit Windows 8.

But I thought the RTM was a retail copy of Windows. And that it must be activated within 30 days to carry on using it.And Windows 8 is not on sale yet. So the copy you have got can't be legal.

So how exactly did you get hold of it? But no,I don't want to run it. As I would rather by a legal copy from the shops. Andrea Borman.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MORRISMAN

MORRISMAN MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2008
    My first impressions of the RTM are that it feels like using a beta. But this is due mainly to the lack of driver support and software that does not work too well on the OS at present.
    The Metro UI (or what it used to be called before litigation...) still remains for me a real pain. I cannot stand the apps or the way that the UI shuts you out of easy ways to find your settings and tools. Also if you install normal programs you end up with a load of tiles on the start screen that you don't want ,even text files! I thought this was a glitch in previous versions ,but obviously it is not. Maybe it is Microsoft's way of persuading us to buy the apps. So yes, the start screen can get rather messy.
    I installed my audio and LAN drivers in compatibility mode ( I use the ROG Thunderbolt card). One problem I am having is finding a suitable audio player. Winamp is playing up ,KM Player does not seem to work ,have not tried VLC yet.

To solve the Metro annoyance I have installed Classic Shell which shows the desktop on start up and gives a context menu. Would love to see some more development into these clever programs. So my experience so far ,having used the RP for at least a month and now playing with the RTM is that Windows 8 for me is a bit of a disappointment. It lacks the wow factor that Windows 7 gave, even from the beta stage. For a desktop PC its a strange beastie , and I am wondering about the speed improvements and how much difference they actually make versus having Metro. Just pleased that with programs like Classic Shell I don't need to look at Metro if I don't want to.

7. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Well when I installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview and then Windows 8 Release Preview,my drivers worked in both versions. I have HP netbooks and HP give you the installers in a file called SwSetup.So I save that file with Windows back up and put a copy of it on my D drive. As it is only the C drive that gets formatted during the install. I still had my installers on D drive.

And I just installed the drivers using the installers and they worked.And Windows Update updated them to the latest version.

As for a media player I always use WMP 11 for Windows 7. But I don't think that works on 64 bit. And I myself would never have 64 bit Windows.I only have 32 bit Windows in all of my versions of Windows. Andrea Borman.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    #93 xscess, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  9. whoareyouxda

whoareyouxda MDL Member

May 4, 2011
    I noticed that Xbox Music (Metro Music app) from the store wont play my music, yet, Audacity will, and Camera from the store is unsupported as of now, also, videos just closes when trying to open, i think im gonna wait to customize my install until theres a Windows 8 Enterprise non-N edition leak... soooooo, AUG 15

10. zfeet

zfeet MDL Junior Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Rearm count is at 1000 so unless Microsoft changes it afterwards this version can be used quite a long time. 1000 x 30 days?

11. zfeet

zfeet MDL Junior Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Try a media player that has built-in codecs like VLC.

12. Fraggy

Fraggy MDL Addicted

Jun 13, 2011
    This is what I'm thinking too. But as the build isn't activated, the personalization settings are blocked... This is quite embarassing for an everyday use.

13. zfeet

zfeet MDL Junior Member

Oct 23, 2007
    In what way they are blocked? I can change every setting in personalization.

14. xscess

xscess MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2009
    You could not change the theme and few other things, although you could select whichever theme you like right after installation(at first reboot that happens after Windows 8 finishes installation).

15. zfeet

zfeet MDL Junior Member

Oct 23, 2007
    I can change all the settings including the themes and all the changes are persistent so they are there after restarting. I did create a local account though.