Windows 8 for DreamSpark students coming August 25th

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by xscess, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    For the retail license you can activate your "new" machine already while your "old" machine is still activated to allow you to transfer your files to the new machine. You're supposed to remove the product from the old machine afterwards, but MS doesn't really know. So a retail key can be activated on at least 2 machines at the same tome.

And what's the thing about not getting updates anymore after your subscription ends? If windows is activated then it receives updates, no matter what.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Guzmanus

Guzmanus MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2010
    So eventually the first computer i installed w8 on will be deactivated if microsoft rechecks its activation status?
    Well no problem, dreamspark gives me 2 keys, a spanish one and an english one

3. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    No. The rule is that you must deactivate the first machine. MS doesn't check for this as far as I know, so you can break the rule.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Guzmanus

Guzmanus MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2010
    Allright, good to know.

Does Dreamspark give to you the same key for x86 and x64 or it gives different keys? It'd be great if it gave 2 keys as both architectures' keys are compatible.

5. antony_blu3

antony_blu3 MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    I get it from Dreamspark EULA, i don't know what updates they mean

6. Guzmanus

Guzmanus MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2010
    I guess it means its dreamspark account does not receive updates, not the software.

7. Cusy

Cusy MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2012
    Does anyone knows if i can use my MSDNAA key to upgrade from Win7 HP OEM (HP) Italian Version to Win8Pro English Version or do I have to format my system?

8. Guzmanus

Guzmanus MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2010
    You can try it; put the english DVD/USB in windows 7 and it'll ask for a key, if it works, you can upgrade, if it doesn't, you'll have to format.

9. duck123

duck123 MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2009
    Dreamspark premium updated to windows 8 RTM

Dreamspark premium updated to windows 8 RTM, at least for my school

Got access to 1 X 64 bit key and 1 X 32 bit key!

Thanks Microsoft!!! hehe

dreamspark.jpg

10. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    I have received my license for both Windows 8 Pro x64 and x86 :) Currently, I am using Windows 8 Enterprise x64 and don't want to abandon it because I have configured it (Programs, Office 2013, AV & FW, Services, Group Policies, Events, Task Scheduled, Picture Password, Win8 Apps, and a lot more....). I know no way to transform current installation (Enterprise) to Professional (downgrade). I will wait and see if some solution emerges for Windows 8 Enterprise, if not then I have to reinstall and invest my whole week configuring it according to my will....

11. Trud

Trud MDL Novice

Jun 30, 2011
    Here's the answer

12. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
  13. omarm19

omarm19 MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2009
    i activated through the dreamspark key i got, it says its activated but there's an "add features to your edition" option that doesnt work with the key i got from dreamspark? why? is there any features that are worth it in the first place?

14. Guzmanus

Guzmanus MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2010
    Its for upgrading to the enterprise edition. If you're not a enterprise user you won't find any useful feature there. Pro is the best edition for normal-advanced users.

15. ucccafe

ucccafe MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    It's for Microsoft Media Center for Win8 not for Win 8 Enterprise.

16. neoox

neoox MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2012
    I am DreamSpark Premium user. I have key for Windows 8 x64 from Dreamspark, but there is only english version. On MSDN there is a Polish version of Windows 8 x64, but I have no account on MSDN. Can I activate Windows from MSDN with DreamSpark key ? (It was easy to download MSDN version from torrents with matches SHA1).

17. segobi

segobi MDL Addicted

Jul 14, 2009
    short answer for you buddy...yes you can activate your polish msdn windows 8 pro x64 - if you have a dreamspark x64 pro key.

18. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Windows 8 Pro is same on MSDN, TechNet, and DreamSpark. You can safely use Polish version of Windows 8 Professional x64 from MSDN for activation with DreamSpark key. Go ahead and enjoy...:)

19. Cusy

Cusy MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2012
    Win7 Home Premium x64 ITA to Win8 Pro ENG

h_ttp://i.imgur.com/vu5o8.png

No "Keep your application" choice.
    I'll try with the italian iso in some days (my current speed is 60Kb/s), tomorrow i'll try to boot a dvd with this iso (don't know if the "Keep your application" choice is shown only at boot or even inside Win7).