Windows 8 for DreamSpark students coming August 25th

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by xscess, Aug 16, 2012.

1. aswerth

aswerth MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2012
    I'm still student but it says my dreamspark account is expired. Is it normal to set all student's dreamspark accounts expired for summer break? I really want to install Windows 8, I can't wait for 2 months. :D

2. antony_blu3

antony_blu3 MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    No, it depends on how long you study on your school/university

3. aswerth

aswerth MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2012
    I'm at 4th grade and it's my last year. What do you mean by it depends on how long I study on university?

4. antony_blu3

antony_blu3 MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Dreamspark premium is provided by either school or university
    In my case, my university provides it, and after I gradute, my subscription to dreamspark premium shall expire
    But the rule maybe different for each institution

5. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I think every subscription is valid for 1 year. So after 365/366 days your institute needs to renew it, if they don't then you can't access anything anymore. But if you have a subscription it's at least valid for 365 days.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. antony_blu3

antony_blu3 MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Maybe it'll be renewed by my university, that's why my friend still can access it until he graduates

7. aswerth

aswerth MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2012
    My university still has Dreamspark Premium subscription, I've checked it from this link: https:// dreamspark.com/institution/subscription.aspx
    I guess I'm going to wait for my new dreamspark account. (Probably I'll get new one after summer break.)o_O

8. shellexecutor

shellexecutor MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2010
    Right now, I have my windows 8 activated using the serial from my dreamspark premium account.
    What's gonna happen if I re-install windows 8? Can I use the same serial again?

9. aswerth

aswerth MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2012
    I was using same serial when reinstalling Windows 7. But be carefull, there was a limit on Windows 7. :)

10. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Windows 7 is MAK so the limit is whatever limit MS set on the key (you can check it with VAMT). Windows 8 is retail so 5 activations before you need to call MS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. aswerth

aswerth MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2012
    #91 aswerth, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
    BTW, I've Dreamspark account too. (not Dreamspark Premium) It says I have Dreamspark Premium account in account information. Is it possible to download Windows 8 with this account? :D
    Capture.jpg

12. Jessica Alba

Jessica Alba MDL Expert

Jul 26, 2009
    why don't you just try ito_O

13. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    And if it says premium, why wouldn't it be premium?

14. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    My Win7 keys from MSDNAA is Retail keys. (with only 1 activation) I also have a normal MSDN account, and only have access to Retail keys there also. (with 10 activations) But on my Technet Pro account I have access to MAK keys.
    The normal limit on Retails keys is 10 online activations - then you have to phone in. I can confirm that I actually have tested this, activating a Win7 retail key 11 times on different hardware.
    Have not tested it on a Windows 8 key yet.

15. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    It's because of that Microsoft quirkiness and paranoia that many people who have legal copies of Windows 7 use a loader instead of the key code they purchased. It's a pain in the ass to have to call Microsoft everytime you reinstall Windows once you use up your authorized quota.

16. aswerth

aswerth MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2012
    I've tried it with no luck in normal way, just looking for other ways to download it. :D

It says "Dreamspark Premium" but it isn't premium account. I can only access Visual Studio and MS Server 2008 with that account.

Whatever, I've sent mail to my teacher, waiting for reply.

17. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    #97 Stannieman, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  18. nikop

nikop MDL Novice

May 25, 2008
    #99 nikop, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    It means your school has premium.
    Dreamspark Premium is totally seprate thing from normal dreamspark (Your school has its own portal for or one on onthehub).
    You can access it from school selection on dreamspark "Institution Subscriptions" age.
    But you must have your account created for you and can't create one oneself.

my 7 Keys are MAK too:

Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, VOLUME_MAK channel

So many keys. I can get just two for Win7 and now two for Win8 (no additional languages or different versions) :/

19. antony_blu3

antony_blu3 MDL Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Now that you discuss the Retail key, how about key for "Lab" ?
    In windows 7, there's download for "Student" and "Lab", which I only can access "Student" one and ended up got Retail Key
    Maybe "Lab" one is MAK Key because it's used to install for many computers??