Windows 8 forced re-activation, if hardware changes

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by CuteBirdy, Aug 19, 2012.

1. ashoktvm

ashoktvm MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
  2. Vect

Vect MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2011
    Actually I can't upgrade my SATA drivers, that is quite a big deal since they are included in every AMD catalyst chipset package.

3. CuteBirdy

CuteBirdy MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Will updating an Intel RST driver with a newer Intel RST driver cause activation ID to change?

It's confirmed a small RAM upgrade won't affect activation, but what about a big RAM upgrade, does the size of the RAM upgrade affect the severity of the change for activation purposes?

4. bigpipo

bigpipo MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2011
    •Activation Hardware Tolerance ◦ A MAK activation key must be renewed if significant hardware changes occur. As hardware changes occur, the software tracks each change, using a weighted score to accumulate changes made. If a cumulative score reaches 25, the software is considered out of tolerance and must be activated with a MAK. Table 3 lists hardware components and their relative weight.
    ◦Table 3. Activation Hardware Tolerances

Tabla 3 here: hxxps://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=5294

5. CuteBirdy

Aug 17, 2012
    That's the same table I linked earlier in this thread. It's NOT accurate. I did a controlled change of hardware that totalled less than 25 points (changed everything except the Main OS drive, which according to that table equals 24), and still got deactivated.

6. CuteBirdy

Aug 17, 2012
    #26 CuteBirdy, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    (OP)
    Does anyone know if DISABLING some of the hardware in BIOS when undergoing activation, will make deactivation less likely later? For example, if we disable in BIOS things like audio adapter, LAN network, SCSI, then swap motherboard and disable those same things, will Windows be fooled into thinking there is no change in the audio adapater, LAN and SCSI components (even though those things changed with the motherboard)?

7. eisenheim

eisenheim MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2009
    If i want to update my bios after activated my windows 8, is it possible to backup spp folder and restored after format my pc without losing the activation or shouldn't doing the bios update?? :confused:

8. Lenster

Lenster MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    I tried to update my RST driver and it deactivated. Copying back the store folder did not work. Had to restore an image with the older driver. I did not think to try rolling back the dirver then copying the store folder.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    When you update the RST, win8 thinks it is in a new HDD and needs re-activation, of course restoring the store doesn't work, because the store folder datas are based on the old HDD.

I have tried to start a thread about sharing KMS-activated win8 but it didn't appear, so, guys who didn't make the KMS, just use the Ent. Eval., it's better than the "black-wallpaper-treat". :D

10. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    I just did a test where I moved my Virtual Machine with Windows 8 Enterprise to a SSD disk, and it did not use a new activation on my MAK key. But when I moved a Windows Server 2008 R2 VM, it had to be reactivated. Strange.

11. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #32 derausgewanderte, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. hack

hack MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    #33 hack, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    The reactivation is typically when the accumulated hardware changes reach the threshold over a period of time. Previously this period was 90 days. There are some cases with the previous activation system where changing the MB with an identical model did not result in activation. The accumulated changes used to zero out after the 90 day period. Changing a few underlying hardware components 30 days ago may not have required activation but if you change other hardware within the 90 day window you may end up triggering activation. This is all speculation as Windows 8 is not yet on sale so it officially does not exist on MS websites.
    Typically with the previous activation scheme online activation may have failed if you tried to change the motherboard more often than 90 days, however if you phoned in then the system was designed to allow activation in most cases unless it was a really suspicious case. If your key has been activated 1000's of times then that would eventually mean the possibility of blacklisting etc. Most so called leaked MAK keys for windows 8 are in fact Retail Keys and are working by phone as the system is designed to err on the side of caution. MS learnt from the abuse of the phone in system so they built in the notification system and then Windows Activation Technologies etc etc. Leaked keys will eventually result in the "Non Genuine" state even if totally isolated from the internet it can happen when a Service Pack is installed at a later stage.
    The only major change that I know of with Windows 8 is that Automatic Activation takes place without your consent if the internet connection is available.
    This is in line with the lack of the 30 day grace period, previously you had the option during installation to un-tick "Automatically Activate Online" and you would have 30 days to get your hardware sorted out before activation.

13. CuteBirdy

Aug 17, 2012
    Are you sure about the 90 day reset period? There is nothing on the net anywhere suggesting this is the case...

14. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    From what I knew it should be 120 days, and this only applies to retail/COEM keys, KMS and MAK activations are different. :D

15. hack

hack MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    As I mentioned in the post:

"This is all speculation as Windows 8 is not yet on sale so it officially does not exist on MS websites"

I have in the past swapped MB's, RMA'd them and swapped them back 90 days later just using online activation so that I don't have to deal with the phone activation.
    The introduction of Windows To Go has left questions that even my MS rep seem a bit confused on as far as MAK/KMS Activation. Moving WTG to new hardware may require Re-activation bleeding the pool of MAK keys. We will find out soon enough. The point is with the pre-windows 8 system you needed to consider hardware changes over the 90-120 day period if you wanted to avoid re-activation. Most people posted I just changed this hardware but may have done other things previously. Considering if there is a window period we haven't had Windows 8 longer than 90-120 days. MS has always humoured additional phone activations based on credible reasons. They are still trying to sell the idea that they are protecting the end user from piracy. I find a lot of my time wasted on sorting out activation problems.

16. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    I guess it doesn't matter if it's 90 or 120 days, it is just a way that MS make allowances for users to upgrade or replace broken devices.

WTG is supposed to work only for Ent., where users most probably activates with MAK/KMS, I am also interested to know what would happen if a guy has only a 1-machine retail/COEM key and install win8Pro on a ext. hardware......it would be interesting.:p

17. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    But it IS there - don't you know about MSDN, Technet, Dreamspark, some Volume channels? Some of the given keys are Retail. some- VLK, and on-line activation servers are up and working since it was rtm'd.
    :rolleyes:

18. pramodm

pramodm MDL Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Ohh yes definitely, provided you have actually bought a legit key to activate your copy of Windows at first.
    PS: Its not $39.99 anymore. :(

19. CuteBirdy

Aug 17, 2012
    #40 CuteBirdy, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    (OP)
    "hack", following on from what you said on this topic, can you please confirm if you think the 90 day / 120 day reset period applies to ALL keys, or only retail keys, or only MAK keys? Wondering if Microsoft activation gives more allowance to hardware changes for certain types of keys...