Windows 8 has reached the RTM milestone!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by UVAIS, Aug 1, 2012.

1. MinaJunior

MinaJunior MDL Junior Member

Aug 15, 2010
    I've downloaded en_windows_8_pro_vl_x64_dvd_917699.iso and saw a little changes:

• In the installation process (added tablet tutorial for the right hidden menu)
    • Added Touch Keyboard (A big keyboard icon on taskbar before system tray)
    • Checkbox for folders and files in explorer (you can select easy folders and files with clicking the box)

So, isn't the same like WZT.

2. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    They shouldn't release RTM so early. There are still many serious bugs. For me it was a total disaster to install Clean Windows 8. The installer won't let me install the OS on AHCI or even on IDE. There's so problem with GPT partition, the installer makes 4 partition, first 3 are for recovery and some MSR and the last is for Windows. After installation Windows won't load, I need to delete all partition once more and install Windows on one partition without making any more of them. Quite strange, never had any issues with Windows 7.

3. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    #1163 Rock Hunter, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    Every new OS release is a problem because hardware and software vendors don't want to have to spend time and money modifying drivers and software. They don't make any money doing that. Many of them will say that they are not going to go back more than say 1 year to provide drivers. If your item is over one year old you are out of luck. They would much rather you bought the newer product if you want your computer to work with Windows 8. Even those who will provide drivers drag their feet. Why is it that Nvidia hasn't released a final driver for Windows 8? Why wasn't it ready on the day that users were first able to download the MSDN files? They had plenty of time to develop one. They had all of the earlier versions of Windows 8 to test their drivers on. I have a Dell laptop and Dell stopped issuing updated files one year after it was released. I don't expect them to do anything about making it compatible with Windows 8.

4. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Buy new computer? C'mon, my laptop is just 3-4 months old! It's almost as good as new, so they should do all they can to provide me with proper drivers. I remember Windows 95 times, 98, Millenium, XP, Vist and 7. Apart from buggy Millenium and XP right after its release (really buggy and non-usable without SP1), other versions were working from the beginning, including Vista (never had any problems, maybe with poor performance, which hasn't been fixed until 7 release).

5. nTT

nTT MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2007
    While most things you mention are true, it is rather impossible to have a final driver for windows 8 the day it is released to MSDN. And by final you must mean WHQL right? Well MSDN releases are aimed towards developers and they happen a few days after the final compilation along with Partner releases. Up to the point of the final compilation the OS code is still being changed. You can't have a final (non-beta) driver for an operating system that is not finalized yet. The amount of time needed to QA the driver from the point you get a final release is so much that it is impossible for any driver of a core component. In nvidia's case it is even worse because they feature a unified driver architecture which means the driver has to be tested against all supported GPU architectures. Now to add WHQL into the picture, that takes additional time because the driver has to be delivered to MS for inspection. If anything is found outside the requirements then it has to be corrected and resent for inspection etc etc. By the time of the actual release (end of October) we'll have non-beta drivers from all the major partners (Intel, nVIDIA, AMD etc etc) although them too will initially be buggy, because they are rushed out at this point. Also nvidia has a long history of actually supporting their older products for a VERY long time. The unified driver supports very old hardware. What you say is true though for 99.9% of the periphereals out there and chipset addons. Although the last 5 years chipset addons have been much better supported than 15-20 years ago :)

6. nTT

nTT MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2007
    The issues you described have to do with EFI and GPT partition tables. I suggest checking for an EFI update for your laptop. The partitions it tried to make are standard on Windows 7 as well if you install in EFI mode. Read this for more information: h ttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463525.aspx

7. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Right, it's connect with EFI support. By default it's disabled in BIOS, normally I always turn it on when using Windows 7. It probably made the problems I've mentioned earlier when installing Windows 8.

8. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    True and well said :) OEMs are too lazy and greedy :( They will release Windows 8 drivers for very few selective hardware. Most of them will focus on releasing new hardware with Windows 8 Ready drivers. We, the users have to rely on Windows Update for majority of drivers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. shntat

shntat MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2009
    add zip contents to rp iso delete product .ini
    and good to go for surprise for now it works and updates

10. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    I found a link...I dont know what 915417 is..isnt the build 6.2.9200.16384??

What is 915417 then?

11. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    this is what MS name there x86 version of Windows 8 iso file

en_windows_8_x86_dvd_915417.iso

Build 6.2.9200.16384 is the final rtm build.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Q9650

Q9650 MDL Member

Mar 20, 2010
    the last 6digits are only for internal use and you can safely ignore that number just check your iso image sha1 or md5 hashnumber to that of msdn/TechNet and you will be fine....as said above rtm is 6.2.9200.16384

13. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    So they are the same right?

en_windows_8_x86_dvd_915417.iso IS the 6.2.9200.16384 build?

Also, the links seem to be dead...can any one heelp?

14. Jvelo7892

Jvelo7892 MDL Junior Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Think sometime between now and december, i'm going to buy a pc with win7 pro, copy down the win7 key, apply for the upgrade offer, then return the pc after I get the upgrade.

Win.:roll1:

15. kvtn007

kvtn007 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2008
    I do believe the final build of windows 8 is 9200 for all version, including Pro and Enterprise, but as other older windows version, there will be service pack soon :biggrin:

16. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    #1176 elementinsane, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2012
    ^ is where I am downloading from...is it the final build?>

Can someone plz check...THANX!

17. dosibox

dosibox MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    #1177 dosibox, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  18. Vantage

Vantage MDL Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hi guys!
    How to remove from context menu of recycle bin the option "Pin to Start Menu":rolleyes:
    I found a key in register but I don't know where is that
    {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}
    Please help :D