Windows 8 in netbook

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by izh34, Nov 29, 2012.

1. ashmicro

ashmicro MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Realistically, I have found that this is true. It will run with less RAM, but is very slow.

2. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Yes, that is realistic that is 100% correct. 32 bit requires Minimum of 1 GB of RAM. If you only have a GB of RAM to load the OS and you want to open programs the require a good amount of RAM up, its going to take memory away from the OS and slow it down. The paging file and ready boost also do not seem to help either. Same goes for 64 bit for this situation.

3. Akko

Akko MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Netbooks are made eg for travellers. You can't set up a dual monitor in a train.

It is one of the many poor design editions in W8, that other small devices are supported, but not netbooks with 1 GB RAM and 1024x600 display.

Although the M$ propaganda for W8 so much eleborated about how many W7 aspects have been improved when developping W8, W7 still runs better on _most_ platforms. W7 is even "snappier" when you turn on the classic windows style.

4. andrew222

andrew222 MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2011
    Hi everyone.

Regarding "It is one of the many poor design editions in W8, that other small devices are supported, but not netbooks with 1 GB RAM and 1024x600 display.".
    I have an Asus EEE PC-1015PN netbook with stock 1GB RAM and native 1024x600 display, installed Windows 8 Enterprise evaluation, and everything is working just fine, smooth as expected.

Regarding "W7 is even "snappier" when you turn on the classic windows style.".
    Sorry, but have to disagree with that. Tried many W7 installs, including a custom, lighter version (read:bare-bone, 700MB install!) on my netbook. All of them, compared to W8 were heavier, even with classic style enabled. For me, W8 is the way with my netbook.

Note: with normal W8 install, drivers, everything updated, not tweaked at all, runs smoother than tweaked W7, and in IDLE there is 280MB RAM consumed, whereas W7 stayed at 400MB+.

5. Akko

Akko MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    No flame or other bull...t intended, the EEE PC-1015PN is a rather modern device with dual core N570. It comes already preinstalled with W7 and Office 2010. So in fact it is more of a laptop.

Do Metro apps run in 1024x600 resolution?

On my AOD-250 display downscaling to 1024x768 looks plain awful and fuzzy. Congratulations if your EEE display looks better.

6. andrew222

andrew222 MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2011
    No no, I did not meant to say something bad either, just stayed the facts, actually much more experience, rather than anything else.

And no, standard Metro Apps doesn't run in the native resolution. Everyone of us get used of programs which fulfill their needs, and I'm no exception. So I am not worried about those apps, since I don't use them anyway.

Of course, on our devices everything off native resolution looks bad, but that's the price we pay for portability. To be honest, I don't really think my 1024x768 looks better than yours.

All I'm saying, for the sake of this thread, that a netbook with similar components like mine, is more responsive with W8. Hope it does help others when considering about to switch to W8.

7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    eeepc 900 HD runs much better here than it does with Win7, aside from the resolution issue with apps, but.. XP is perfect for the little thing anyway. 1gb Ram and 900mhz and surprisingly snappy with win8 though.

8. Akko

Akko MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Then W8 on netbooks is like driving a car with locked passenger door.
    Okay if you drive alone all the time. :biggrin: