Windows 8 Licenses still say PreRelease

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by CODYQX4, Aug 8, 2012.

1. segobi

segobi MDL Addicted

Jul 14, 2009
    lol no. 16384 is the real RTM

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. secretromeo

secretromeo MDL Addicted

Mar 30, 2011
    All my licenses say RTM...

3. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #43 derausgewanderte, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
    interesting, while I was installing WHS 2011 connector on my Win8 Pro 64 bit system (activated) yesterday it did warn me in the final steps that I am installing this on a PreRelease of Windows and if I am sure to continue....
    I didn't think much of it and thought they sure will update the connector software until I saw this thread. If it's just a different version of the OS it's complaining about it shouldn't really say PreRelease.

still, I have no doubt what is out there is the final RTM and all symptoms are normal

thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. supdrmann

supdrmann MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Yesterday i've instaslled and activated BitDefender Internet Security 2013 on Win 8 Pro RTM. After i've typed in the activation-key, the setup showed up a screen for thanking me for the activation on Windows 8 PreRelease. Sorry but haven't take a screenshot of it but you can try yourself.

5. Zukariji

Zukariji MDL Member

Mar 11, 2011
    9200 obviously isn't the final build that's put on a disc and sold in stores or I will be extremely disappointed with Microsoft. They were supposed to include a tutorial as to how to use the new Metro system (I personally know how to use it but the average user won't and it'll be confusing as f**k), all we have in 9200 is a half-completed introduction that says "move your mouse to any corner" but in fact only shows what happens if you move it to the top-right corner and doesn't even explain what to do.

Poor show MS, poor show.

6. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    It was the same with Win7 SP1 leaked iso's - nobody believed they're final because of RC licenses and USB drivers bug and old dism and what not... Yet they WERE...

7. MORRISMAN

MORRISMAN MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2008
    You will find the same situation if you look at Windows 7 licences. The evaluation ones are still in the folder of the RTM. So the RTM does in fact show evaluation licences as well.

8. MORRISMAN

MORRISMAN MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2008
    Also for those who are installing software that is reporting Win 8 as pre-release ,please remember that technically the RTM is indeed pre-release until its general availability. The software manufacturers will have to tweak some of their products to suit Win 8.

9. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Given that MS wants to eradicate Aero, the fact that it's still there during install is a bit strange. Looks half finished to me.

10. FiB3R_OPTiC

FiB3R_OPTiC MDL Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Yeah and the fact they they still couldn't be bothered to put USB support in Hyper V makes me wonder what have they been doing all this time.

11. joenamond

joenamond MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2012
    they obviosly rushed out the rtm. you can see that a lot of things are being patched already by the leaked updates.
    Unfortunetly no bugs I've discovered yet. 9200 rtm runs great here.

12. Berny

Berny MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Windows ME and Vista too were rushed and unfortunately everybody knows the results :(

13. anxiousape

anxiousape MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    I noticed while installing, the terms and conditions to agree were just one or two lines. That is kind of odd.

But the installer looking so bland and 2D compared to win7 installer, well now that I'm in the OS it makes sense that everything is bland. Imho, Windows 8 is like Windows 3.11 with touch interface. That's the reason it has fast reaction compared to Win7. :busted_blue:

14. kocoman

kocoman MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2007
    I found this same issue in the WHS 2011

15. prathaprabhumicrosoft

Jan 20, 2012
    9200 is the final RTM - WZor doing this leak ever since XP started. But i would still appreciate the ISO which is going to show up on MSDN/VLSC.

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

16. fma965

fma965 MDL Junior Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Hmm i don't see why they would release a not final RTM.

17. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    "they" - Microsoft - did not release it. It was leaked.

"RTM" - Released to Manufacturing - does not mean "Manufactured" or "Shipped" so there can be changes which don't necessitate changing the build number as no binary files will change. Replacing a placeholder EULA with the correct one, or adding an EI.cfg or pid.txt would be such a change between "RTM" and "Shipped."

What has been leaked is the Volume License media for Server and Enterprise, and an "all-in-one" for Client. The retail and OEM versions are likely to be slightly different. Also likely there will be a separate Pro version for Volume which doesn't contain the other SKUs and doesn't prompt for a key.