Windows 8 Manufacturer System Restore, UEFI missing...please help

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by takyon42, Feb 26, 2013.

1. takyon42

takyon42 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2013
    So...

a few days ago I posted on how someone had wiped this laptop, completely reformatted the hard drive(deleted all the partitions), and installed Windows 7.

I finally got the manufacturer restore disks for it(being under warranty, only $20), but now when I run the system disk(first disk in the recovery process), I get the following message:

'Restore fail: This recovery system can only be used on UEFI mode. Please press ok to restart the system immediately'

So...my question is, is there anything I can do?

I attempted to download an ISO of Windows 8, simply to retrieve the partitions, but to create a bootable ISO which includes UEFI, I need a 64 bit ISO. I do not want to purchase another license considering one already came with my laptop. I need a 64 bit iso, which I currently do not have.
    My laptop is a Gateway, and the restore disks are from Gateway(they are Windows 8 system disks).

Any insight would be appreciated. I just spent an hour and a half trying to solve this...

Thank you!

2. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Maybe UEFI was disabled Inside the BIOS to install Windows 7?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  4. 5856898

5856898 MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2012
    when your boot from your recovery disc, what option did you choose? I believe you must choose the non-UEFI one..

5. takyon42

takyon42 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2013
    @5856898

It lets me choose no option. The Windows 8 logo briefly appears, then the message pops up.

@Mr.G
    Thats exactly what I purchased, the eRecovery Media

@Anarathos

Thank you for the suggestion, I will have to see if I can access the BIOS to toggle UEFI...

To all, thank you for your help.

I will post results, and hopefully resolve this thread tonight after work.

6. vymrdal

vymrdal MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    Yeah, sorry, that is already way too late. Kindly read the manual to find out how to get the BIOS boot menu.

7. takyon42

takyon42 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2013
    Here is the most frustrating part:

When I go into the BIOS, and switch from legacy to UEFI, the recovery disks prompt me to boot them using legacy mode.

When I boot them in legacy mode, the disks prompt me to boot them in UEFI.

So I am no further -_-

8. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    There should be a function key to select the boot menu. On my MSI maniboard, F11 gives me the boot menu & I can select weather to boot the optical drive in UEFI or standard bios/legacy mode.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    As i understand it, EFI only works on x64 with Win8 and PCs. The x86 has EFI capabilities, but it only works on Mac systems. So, you have a few options. An x64 dvd would solve your problems, bios settings may help you with a legacy install, get the x64 boot files and replace the install.wim with your x64 one, etc.

You can also unplug your HDDs and boot from the disk, and see if the errors change. That would single out the HDD as a problem, so you could focus on the bios or DVD.