Windows 8 OEM recovery

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by saggyN73, Dec 11, 2012.

1. athon34

athon34 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    Try this stuff :
    SLIC_TOOLKIT_ v 3.2 (in MDL)
    and then export the key from bios into a file.

2. saggyN73

saggyN73 MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2008
    Thanks..I will try it out..

3. saggyN73

saggyN73 MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2008
    Got some key, and its matching to one I found using Magic Jelly Bean Finder. But getting error inserting that key using slmgr command..SW LIC Service reported that Prod Key is Invalid... I had installed Windows 8 with following ei.cfg file...:
    [EditionID]
    Core
    [Channel]
    OEM
    [VL]

4. 5856898

5856898 MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2012
    You can't legally activate your laptop by usig MSDN ISO since MSDN ISO doesn't include the image that match your OEM Key(Single Language Edition), To find the OEM Key, try RW-Everything Tool and go to ACPI-->MSDM.

If you want your laptop legally activated, only way I think is use the correct Recovery Media.

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Magic jelly bean and slictookit are useles and will not export the embedded key do as already advised a few times use RW-Everything Tool.

6. harrismail

harrismail MDL Member

Mar 28, 2010
    This tool sounds interesting - which function of the RW-Everything tool can show the embedded key? The SMBIOS Structures menu?

7. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    acpi > msdm

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. athon34

athon34 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    No embedded key in acpi > msdn
    Under ACPI there is not a msdn sub-menu

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Its not MSDN, its MSDM. Do you have Windows 8 pre-installed with pc??

10. harrismail

harrismail MDL Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Oh well seeing that I get asked to set up mainly Dell PC's, I'll get a new Windows 8 Dell Laptop and set it up with all the necessary software (Windows tweaks, customisations and Office etc etc) and then save the whole HD image with ATI and use that on any subsequent Dell PC's.....

That should stand a good chance of working seeing it "should" be the exact same SKU version of Windows 8 on all of them - as long as they all just have "Windows 8" and not the Pro version?

It at least should save me having to do every Dell PC manually..

11. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    That should work, but the iso should be uncompressed to external HDD, then when you boot to BIOS, and select RESTORE/RECOVERY OPTION, it should not ask for a KEY it simply reads the edition to load as selected by the key in BIOS .... (if it is anything like my HP), the Recovery Restore Option is OFF by default .... TURN IT ON... it should read the uncompressed ISO as the RECOVERY Disk.
    I have updated several from Core to Pro using the add features and enter the Pro Key. then make the recovery disk for Pro... and your good to go. It is called "Recovery Drive"
    PS: FOR OEM:

[Channel]
    OEM

[VL]