Windows 8 or Windows 8 System Builder? (I know how much this is asked, but pls help)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by drd0ctor, Oct 23, 2012.

1. drd0ctor

drd0ctor MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2012
    First of all, I know this question has been asked to death but I've been researching all day and still cannot find a straight answer, I'm fatigued and asked everywhere. I just want to pre order Windows 8 and be done with it :annoyed:

I do not have an activated version of Windows 7, and I am currently running an inactivated Windows 8 RTM. I intend to purchase Windows 8 (or pre-purchase) on Friday. I have no idea whether I should buy Windows 8 (upgrade?) or Windows 8 System Builder
    My BIGGEST concern is whether System Buillder willl be locked to my specific motherboard (the way W7 OEM works) or whether I can transfer my license to a "new" system (if I happen to format, which I do a lot, or upgrade my motherboard)

tl;dr: Is the only viable option the "System Builder" copy? Or can I buy the boxed Windows 7 Pro "upgrade" copy?
    Is the System Builder locked to specific hardware as OEMs are?

I'm really disappointed in retailers/Microsoft for the poor description of this product. It's very confusing and not clear.

2. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    For ehat I understand :

- Retail : No more
    - Upgrade : REquire to have a previous version installed. Will be bind to that computer only
    - OEM : Bound to one computer only. Officially, can not be bought by an end-user
    - PUL : A OEM version sold to end-user. Bound to one computer only also

I think taht we won't be able anymore to create migrate Windwos 8 from computer to computer.... be I was not able to find the full EULA text, so I may be wrong... :S

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    #3 AnarethoS, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Forget what I said. Here is the text I found

Code:
    In other words, you can remove the Windows 8 upgrade from an original PC and then install it on another PC, assuming the new PC has a license that qualifies it for an upgrade. Likewise, you can completely remove the PUL System Builder software from a self-built PC, a VM, or a partition and then install it in a new physical or virtual PC. 

There is no limit on the number of times you may do this type of transfer, providing you follow the rules I describe later in this section. That means hobbyists who like to tinker with PCs can relax. If you buy a System Builder copy, you can move (not share) that license from an old PC to a new one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. davejunia

davejunia MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2012
    Well, even in the OEM / System Builder versions of Vista, 7, etc. You could call MS up and tell them you upgraded your motherboard. They will activate it for you.

As the post above suggests, they have officially relaxed it.