Windows 8 Patcher

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Peter Kleissner, Feb 4, 2012.

1. x Finder

x Finder MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2012
    Peter,
    (as also anyone know / found a solution)

, please , when i modify shell32.dll (after taking permission) in windows 8 consumer preview (32 bit), then i rename the originall to C:\Windows\System32 , and copy paste the new one, when i restart system recognise the new one as not valid, so restores automatically to the most near restore point, restoring the file to its original version.

how can we by pass this?

it seems that when i modify the shell32.dll using resourse hacker or restorator, this affects to digital signature of the file if i am right. same happened to the expolrer file that exists to C:\Windows\
    (in older version 7995 there was not problem when i modified/rename the original copy paste the new)

any solution please?

thanks in advance.
    --------------------------------
    (excuse me if i use this thread for my question, but i thought it was the closest to be. if not i apologise. )

2. Peter Kleissner

Peter Kleissner MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2012
    @maya77: The patcher zeroes out the string in the .mui file, if it is used at another place than then watermark (e.g. in the System properties page) then it will also disappear there.
    Why should the program ask anyone for confirmation? If you download the exe and start it, you should know what it does / you expect to do it's job.. You also don't go to Mc Donalds order something and then expect the clerk to ask "do you really wanna order this?". To undo the changes you'd have to restore the termsrv.dll and the 2 mui files (copy it from an unpatched machine). My patch does not keep a backup, because there is no need to.

@x Finder: Are you modifying shell32.dll or shell32.dll.mui? Because my patch just modifies the mui files (which do not have a digital signature).

3. chevell

chevell MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    #63 chevell, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
    For me this patch prevents sfc/scannow from completing successfully which is to be expected but the bigger problem is that it kills off the user index score completely. No other problems besides that.

Is there a patch to replace the files that this patch deleted?

4. maya77

maya77 MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
  5. 2010gleek

2010gleek MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2012
    Hey Peter are you planning on updating this for the Release Preview?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    I am expecting to have Windows 8 Patcher to remove watermarks only...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Derson

Derson MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2009
    Yeah an update would be nice...:biggrin:

8. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    Try to find his mail. His last activity was 2 April.
    So doubt it..

9. Peter Kleissner

Feb 3, 2012
    Yup I'll take a look on it tomorrow and release an update as well as the current source.

10. 2010gleek

2010gleek MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2012
    Thanks Peter!! :D

11. cyberbot

cyberbot MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2011
    tried this works fine, removed the watermark!

12. Gohan6

Gohan6 MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2011
    Thanks Peter, nice to see you are working on it. Just for info, I've first used WCP Watermark Editor tool in order to remove it but the thing is it also prevents somehow some Metro Apps as Weather, News, etc.. from working. Hope yours will do the trick :)

13. Peter Kleissner

Feb 3, 2012
    I have just updated it to version 1.5. Check out the first post. I have also published the current source code.

Works fine for 32-bit (verified), should also work fine for 64-bit but I have to test it (currently downloading the iso). In case someone want's to add other languages for watermark removal, you'd need to modify the path in the source file Patcher.cpp (exchange the "en-US" with your language). I guess I could easily add support for all other languages in a generic way.. will do that for 1.6.

14. nash211

nash211 MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2011
    I am running windows 8 x64 the newest watermark removed only half, still have Evaluation Build. 8400 left on my desktop
    any suggestions

15. diando

diando MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2011
    Removed the whole watermark. Windows 8 RP x64. Thanks.

16. Peter Kleissner

Feb 3, 2012
    I have tested it now on 64-bit, works fine (removes entire watermark + terminal server patch works)!

@nash211: I assume you do not have the English build?!

17. neojudgment

neojudgment MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2010
    #77 neojudgment, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hi Peter,

I have the following errors when I try to build the project. I need other libraries in addition to the SDK?

Code:
    Erreur2error LNK2019: symbole externe non résolu _EnumProcesses@12 référencé dans la fonction "int __cdecl TerminateProcessWait(wchar_t *,unsigned int)" (?TerminateProcessWait@@YAHPA_WI@Z)C:\Users\Pascal\Downloads\Windows 8 Patcher\Windows 8 Patcher\Support.objWindows 8 Patcher

Erreur1error LNK2019: symbole externe non résolu _GetProcessImageFileNameW@12 référencé dans la fonction "int __cdecl TerminateProcessWait(wchar_t *,unsigned int)" (?TerminateProcessWait@@YAHPA_WI@Z)C:\Users\Pascal\Downloads\Windows 8 Patcher\Windows 8 Patcher\Support.objWindows 8 Patcher
    Sorry french VS 2010 ;)

18. kmotala

kmotala MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2010
    How to undo all changes ??

19. Peter Kleissner

Feb 3, 2012
    #79 Peter Kleissner, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Add psapi.lib to your project settings (Properties -> Linker -> Input -> Additional Dependencies).

20. sonic9

sonic9 MDL Member

Aug 4, 2009
    wow ! fast, thanks for your work!
    just patched x64 french version for termsrv
    concurrent differents sessions works but fSingleSessionPerUser=0 seems doesn't work ...