Windows 8 pro & older touch pcs will touch work or not

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by UTDKING, Nov 5, 2012.

1. UTDKING

UTDKING MDL Junior Member

Oct 26, 2012
    I have a packard bell touch pc that i wish to upgrade to windows 8 pro + WMC

I intend to do this via the windows 8 upgrade offer

so i obtain the windows upgrade assistant & ran it on my windows 7 all in one touch pc

and guess what it said windows 8 was not compatible with windows 7 touch pack

surely this is a slip up by M$ i have contact them via email to ask wether thay intend to offer support for the touch features on previous models of all in one pcs that were produce between 2009-2011

I suspect they will say touch is only compatiable wilth the RT version of Windows 8 For Tablets

I have done some checking online at various forums & Microsoft sites & some suggest the Microsoft Touch Pack for Windows 7 will fail to install on Windows 8

Just asking if anyone else is hit issuse with the touch screen dilemma

So i`ve decided to put on hold my purchase of the windows 8 upgade till i`ve done a test install on my system

I will restore my system as to when i purchased and make a system recovery image using acronis true image 2013
    That way i can back up the hiden partition
    Then install a small sofware prog say ccleaner
    Then restore from the backup i created with acronis 2013 to confirm it works ok
    then wipe the system & install the windows iso i have which is en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440
    Then check if the touch feature works or not
    If not then windows as gone backwards

If anyone else as any advice on this issuse or easy way to test windows 8 on my system
    thank you in advance

2. criztian

criztian MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2012
    I have a HP Tx2z-1000 Touchsmart, the compatibility test says that i will have a terrible touch experience because is not supported and designed for win8, but i install windows 8 anyway, works flawlessly, the touch screen response is great, beter than Windows 7, with native drivers, the only problem is the resistive screen, with a bad multitouch experience
    Sorry my english
    Regards

3. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    First you have to know, that Win8 with the Metro-Interface IS BUILT FOR TOUCH USAGE and the RT-Version you only get with a new tablet with an ARM processor and that the RT-Version is basicly a regular Win8 without a usable desktop because of the limited processing-power of the ARM-processor.

I think what the Windows8-UpgradeAssistant meant, wass that Windows 8 is not compatible with the Windows 7 Desktop-Apptlication "windows 7 touch pack". If you think about it, this wouldn't be a serious issue, because Win 8 has a built in (Metro-Interface) touch pack. With out the touchpack or a Stylus you are not very productive with touch usage in Win 7. Another thing would be if your touch-Pc is not a multitouch enabeled device. Then there are no specific touch-gestures (wipe-in, wipe-up, etc.) in the Metro-Interface and would be the same as if you would use a mouse.

So to conclude: With Win8 and a touch-device which has multitouch (and Windows 8 or the manufacture provides a proper driver for it - if packard bell doesn't provide a proper driver you have to blame them and not MS) you have the full Windows 8 experience without any additional tools or addons.

The best way to find out would be to install the 90 day trial-version of Windows 8 Enterprise. Then you would know for sure if touch works like you want it to work.

4. UTDKING

UTDKING MDL Junior Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Thanks for the replys but just one question for member BigW why do you say install the Windows 8 Enterprise Edition as the windows upgrade offer will only offer Windows 8 Pro

What the enterprise edition offer that the pro one does`nt as i have the untouched msdn image of that version

5. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    I meant that there is a legal trial version of Windows 8 Enterprise which lasts for 90 days (and then you realy need a clean install) For the purose of seeing if your hardware is usable with Windows 8 this version would be ideal.

For a "normal" private user and productive use of Windows 8 the Pro shuld be prefered and has all function you could need in Windows 8.

The Enterprise version has only a usage in corporate environments. You also only get to buy the Enterprise version if you have a volume-licence deal with MS. If you are in an Enterprise environment and you want to hassle free sideload Metro-Apps then the Enterprise version should be used.