Windows 8 Pro Upgrade need OS while installing?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by FattysGoneWild, Oct 21, 2012.

1. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Is this true? I have Windows 7 for example right now. I cannot install Windows 8 clean off the disc only? The only way is having Windows 7 installed and then doing Windows 8 upgrade clean install?

2. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    Not trying to hijack, but I've been wondering this too...

I've seen some OK deals for the Retail disc pro upgrade and have been trying to figure out my options so I too have a few questions....

1) Can a full, clean install from the upgrade disc be done (without needing to install Win7)?
    2) Can the upgrade work off the OEM Slic info of the BIOS, or must you use the printed Win7 key off the certificate?
    3) Can the upgade be installed on more than one PC? (can the upgrade be done with multiple Win7 keys, or must you have multiple Win8 keys?)

If not... How does the full install version of the retail CD work?... the same?

I was going to make my own thread, but this one was too close to justify it I thought.

3. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
    Why not just boot from your windows 8 media and clean install?
    People make so many stupid mistakes by trying to install an os while in windows from there desktop!! if i wanted to upgrade i would run setup from my desktop!! but if i wanted to clean install i would boot from the media

4. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    But this is what we don't know yet about the Windows 8 upgrade. Can you install straight from the disc booting up and clean? I know for a fact when doing the actual upgrade with in said current OS. It does allow you to select a clean install. I was hoping to hear from someone that got a copy early from retail and can tell us.

5. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    Part of the reason I was asking, is that I seem to recall being able to a full install without OS off an upgrade disc... from either Win98 or WinXP. If I remember, all it required was entering the previous version Windows key... but of course that was ages ago and I may not remember correctly.

6. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    From what I know the "upgrade key" can work with the MSDN ISO's, i.e. you can just simply apply the key to your running win8, or install with a MSDN ISO.

Of course atm nothing is 100% sure, until somebody actually gets a key and try it out. :D