Windows 8 product key blocked after refresh

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kronpas, Oct 22, 2013.

1. kronpas

kronpas MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2011
    As title said, my previous installation getting slowed down so I decided to refresh it. Things went smoothly, until the "add product key" step - I skipped it, only to find out later my copy is not activated! Now I'm left without inactivated Windows 8 and have no clue how to reactivate it, as I bought my key by using a trick to upgrade a random windows 7 product key to shave off $25 (by upgrade assistant). I tried to search the inbox but the only email I found contained the promotion code to upgrade to windows 8 :\

Please help.

2. adit123tya

adit123tya MDL Senior Member

Oct 25, 2012
    probably M$ figured out your trick

3. kronpas

kronpas MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2011
    #3 kronpas, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    (OP)
    hey, its not helpful. I refreshed it just fine 2 months ago. In fact I refresh my installation so often I dont even think of it being blocked at all.

edit: oh and I forgot i just upgraded to windows 8 2 days ago with this very key -.-'

4. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    dude, did you try inserting your key? should activate, if not try phone route. You will be ok.

5. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    @kronpas: The title of your thread is misleading, your product key is not blocked, you are just unable to find/remember what is your product key. Based on your description, your upgrade wasn't a "trick" but a legitimate Windows 7 to Windows 8 upgrade. Try and find any proof of purchase you have (invoice, credit card bill, whatever) and phone up Microsoft. They will help you out if you can prove your purchase.

6. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Yes agree with kelorgo's suggestion.. make sure to make backup..including a pid.txt thereafter...:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. kronpas

kronpas MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2011
    #7 kronpas, Oct 22, 2013
    (OP)
    Well, its "blocked" as thats what I read on the screen. Anyhow, I guess I'm out of luck since I cant for the life of me remember the original Win 7 key I used to upgrade it. It might even be a random win key I got from this forum's loader lol. Will try the OEM key on my old laptop when I pull it out of the junk house tmr.

Thank for the help guys. A lesion learned. $15 for a year's use is worth it still :cool:

8. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    If it's just Windows 8, use the MTK to insert a VL key and activate with KMS for 6 months a shot

9. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    #9 kelorgo, Oct 22, 2013
    You said that when you refreshed, you chose to skip the step when asked for a product key. This means that Windows has inserted a generic, default key for you, and is NOT using your own personal product key. The "blocked" message you are getting is because of this: the generic key is blocked and can't be used for activation. Your own personal product key (should you ever recover it) is still fine and not blocked.

I would strongly suggest you try and look for any form of confirmation of your purchase (email or whatever), even if it doesn't contain the product key. Phone up Microsoft and talk to them, giving whatever details you can from that email. If you purchased a product key, you are fully entitled to it, and you shouldn't let go of it. The current retail value of a Windows 8 Pro product key is around $150, so just because you only paid $15 for it, doesn't mean your loss is small.

10. kronpas

kronpas MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2011
    #10 kronpas, Oct 22, 2013
    (OP)
    edit: Didnt think its went up to over $100 :eek: . And yeah, I skipped product insertion step when reinstall Windows, assuming it used my current legit code.

Thank for your $100 worth of help kelorgo. I digged into mail box once again and this time manually opened every single mail containing "Microsoft". Turned out the code was in a mail with subject written in Thai for whatever reason.

//solved. Thank again!

11. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    The old Windows 7 key only allowed the discount code... - get the proof of purchase rather

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Windows 7 keys can only activate Windows 7....

13. kronpas

kronpas MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2011
    #13 kronpas, Oct 22, 2013
    (OP)
    Copied my edited post here. Thank for all the help guys. Call me an idiot or w/e, I deserve it...