Windows 8 Reboot Loop

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by santoshcoolhere, May 15, 2012.

1. santoshcoolhere

santoshcoolhere MDL Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Ok let me get this straight, i installed win8 consumer preview on my PC....worked fine for a few days....but suddenly it started restarting everytime during OS boot....i didnt change any hardware/software but still i cant get it to work....on the other hand my hackintosh(sorry apple cant afford to buy a mac) works perfectly....searched everywhere but cant get a proper fix....

my specs:

Core i5 2500k 3.3Ghz
    Asus P8 H77 M-Pro Motherboard
    8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
    ATI 4670 1GB DDR3 Graphic Card (soon to be updated to ATI 6870)
    500GB Primary Disk Running WIndows 8 as the main OS
    160GB Secondary HD running OS X Lion 10.7.4
    500GB External Backup Drive thats plugged into a usb 3.0 controller.....

can any one solve it ??
    btw reinstalling is not an option...did it once but same thing happened...

2. ashmicro

ashmicro MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Turn on AHCI? I installed Win8 with AHCI ON. If I turn AHCI OFF in BIOS, I get a boot loop. If I turn it back on, it boots fine. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that your AHCI has been turned off in error. Worth a go I reckon.

3. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #3 nexus76, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012
    First of all I'd try to boot from the Windws8 DVD/USB and start a command promt with SHIFT+F10.
    Try chkdsk and have a look at your disk's consistency. If the filesystem is whacked * you can go on with chkdsk /F.
    If everything's okay try to repair windows with the system file checker
    at the command prompt with sfc /scannow. Try to reboot and if everything's okay you're done. If not ...

Try system restore to an early point ... if not ...

You can install Windows 7 in a VHD and boot from it (google a howto). Then you can use vmware converter to convert the physical disk
    into a vmdk which should be bootable at least in virtualbox.

Ugh!

That's why I don't use Windows 8 as a primary OS.

PS: I'm suggesting your harddisks are old!? If it's fact then think about a diskdump with ddrescue onto a fresh, big HDD * before chkdsk /F,
    or you could loose important data. Summertime is HDD crashtime.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...