Windows 8 RTM bugs/issues/questions and findings

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by free1975yuly, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    I noticed my system would just become totally unresponsive (programs wouldn't do anything, but mouse worked) randomly while I was in the process of setting up a fresh install. The HDD light would be solid too during the time.

One of these things seemed to of fixed it though:

- Install SATA, NB, USB Filter, Display, HDMI, and IDE driver from AMD 9.00 unofficial beta
    - Disable HPET (disabled ACPI SRAT setting in BIOS)
    - Disabled unnecessary NTFS things in fsutil (8dot3, encryption, etc)
    - Disabled DEP (AlwaysOff from bcedit)

2. chinchin85

chinchin85 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    New Finding:

This is something i found while trying to take a system image backup using the Windows 7 File Recovery Tool in Control Panel of Win 8 Ent N x64 RTM. When one tries to create a system image , then an error pops up that there is insufficient space on your drive for the system image. This error is linked to the size of the System Drive (the extra drive other than C: Drive seen in Computer->Manage->Disk Management). Basically the System Drive should have atleast 50 MB free out of 100MB for successful creation of the system image in Win 8. But my System Drive showed some 30% of the drive free...so i googled and found the solution as follows (this also used to happen in Win 7):

1- Start>Run>diskmgmt.msc

2- Right click on the System Reserved volume ( or partition ) and give it a letter ( I've used the letter Z )

3- Start>Run>cmd

4- Fsutil usn queryjournal Z:

5- fsutil usn deletejournal /N /D Z:

6- Create the System Image Backup again

7- Repeat the steps 1 and 2 and REMOVE the letter from the System Reserved.

This deletes the content related to USN Journal from your system drive and gives an additional 30-40 MB space free.
    I dont know what the USN Journal content is (might be related to the journalling file system or something like that)

But the above procedure does solve the problem of taking the system backup.

Hope this helps someone.....

3. germulvey

germulvey MDL Novice

May 31, 2010
    After install of 8 RTM 64 bit I end up with a black screen, it seems the system is running but no visuals. The monitor stays on
    nvidia 550ti, fx-6100, 12 gb ddr3
    Any ideas?

4. RamGuy

RamGuy MDL Member

Jun 27, 2009
    I'm faced with a ridiculous issue whereas Microsoft force disables both the Intel X79 Chipset USB-drivers as well as the ASMedia USB3.0 drivers resulting in me not having any USB-device working at all on my system and there seems to be no way to override this stupid behaviour. Their reasoning is that there is some sort of known issues with these drivers so Microsoft has disabled them.............

5. robyyy

robyyy MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2012
    Installing Intel chipset driver solved that for me.

6. buksnatata

buksnatata MDL Member

Oct 22, 2011
    #28 buksnatata, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
    I normally shut down a pc. Then after new start computer turns off during boot in windows 8, then i turn it again on and load windows normally.
    UPDATE : After turning off hybrid boot everything boot normally.

7. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #29 derausgewanderte, Aug 17, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. caifan805

caifan805 MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    Activated but tiles not working for me. Don't display any info. Even the Bing tile doesn't work. Tried locations settings etc..nothing works.

9. RamGuy

RamGuy MDL Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Hmm.. Before I installed the latest GeForce drivers for Windows 8 my dual-monitor setup was configured so my right screen act as the primary screen, so both metro and games launched at my right screen being a 120Hz monitor this was exactly what I wanted, at the same time my left screen acted as the "focus" screen having all desktop shortcuts etc on it.

But now after rebooting with the GeForce drivers installed every desktop icon and everything is on the right screen instead, and when I try to manually set my left monitor as focus monitor it becomes the primary as well which I do not want. Does anyone have any idea how to separate the focus monitor from the primary one?

10. Lip

Lip MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    this isnt really a bug just an anoyance for me does anyone know how to enable thumbnail generation for mpg videos i get thumbnail generation on all videos apart from mpg. i did solve this with the release preview by using the media centre key

i hope there is a way round without getting media centre as i have no other use for it

11. doggod

doggod MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    #33 doggod, Aug 17, 2012
    @Lip

K-Lite codec pack will do the thumbnail generation for all forms of video file
    If running a 64 bit system install both the 32 and 64 versions

Personally i use XBMC for a media center software - far better than anything Microsoft provides
    i dont have Microsoft Media Center installed

below shows thumbnail of mkv file
    ht=tp://img51.imageshack.us/img51/8067/thumbnailoi.jpg remove = for link

12. Lip

Lip MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    #34 Lip, Aug 17, 2012
    thanks for the info doggod i tried K-lite codec pack installed both 32 & 64 versions still know thumbnail preview for mpeg vids just the normal media player classic logo

edit got it to work. well there's no need for me to get media center when its available

thanks doggod

13. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I have K-Lite mega codec pack and no problems.Just the damn resolution...:D

14. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    Something truely strange:I had yesterday install W7 but disabled Windows updates due traffic network limitations(mobile conection at my job here) and I said: ''Let us try to upgrade to W8'' just I did with few days ago but no issues.OK.BUT now setup allows me to keep my files,settings and apps just like ''old''W8CP 8400...I will try to install the upgrade and to see if it's working..BTW until now ,with 2 or 3 days ago when I had W7 with all updates installed the setup allowed me to keep nothing from W7....Then the upgrade has failed.

15. crazysharath

crazysharath MDL Member

Aug 13, 2012
    The live tiles sometimes doesn't work or work properly.

16. Senjutsusage

Senjutsusage MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2012
    A special warning to all. Absolutely do not attempt to install the Asus AI Charger software that is designed make your usb ports charge devices such as ipods, ipads or cell phones faster. To be more specific, do not attempt to install the Windows 7 version of this. Windows 8 will boot, and it will work completely fine, but you'll be totally unable to even use your usb mouse and keyboard. It's even impossible for you to at the bootloader menu to get into safe mode and somehow try to fix the problem. Unless you somehow have a touchscreen device, you'll have no choice at all but to reinstall the OS from scratch. I had to find this out the hard way. Usually installing incompatible software doesn't carry a consequence as big as this one, but in this case it did. So, don't do it. You have been warned :)

17. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  18. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Uh oh, that sounds scary. Does anyone know if the Gigabyte ON/OFF Charge drivers does this too?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...