Windows 8 ruin my motherboard

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ryanpermadi135, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If the HDD of your Acer Laptop still have the original Recovery Partition, You should be able to access that using Alt + F10 and you'll get the choice to "Reset" the Laptop to Company default.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pajoas

pajoas MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2009
    I have trashed my computer a few times were it hang at boot, couldn't access bios or nothing. Usually when i was playing with multi partitions etc, Turned out i trashed my hdd in some way. once i unplugged the hdd i could access the bios and etc. How I always fixed it was unplug drive boot up with a linux live disk, then plug in hdd and format the bugger. Then it was all good again.

3. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    @ryanpermadi135 (OP)
    BIOS is stuck when some hardware is not responding/faulty/under or over volt. Reset your BIOS in following way:

-Remove battery
    -Remove CMOS battery
    -Unplug from AC source
    -Keep power button pressed for 2 minutes continuously

-Plugin AC source and try to power on

If
    Power on properly = insert both batteries
    else
    Acer centre is right = $320 injection

BTW, the commands you have mentioned and used has nothing to do with hardware fault. Commands which can damage hardware are restricted in running Windows OS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Wow 320 Bucks!

Luckly, in Thailand such repair would cost THB 2,464.00 incl 7% VAT If the Mainboard need to be repaired. And if they couldn't repair, they would change to an new one. OK, that for MB's only, in other cases they'll charge for Spareparts and a fee of THB 800.00 for Service. US$ 1.00 = THB 31.00!!

5. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    The OP him/herself is unsure about it. How a US $600-700 laptop cost you $320 for mobo replacement :eek: The mobo replacement is expected around $80-100 at max. Perhaps OP wants to get rid of this laptop and have a new touch...you know surface...:p

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    A friend has an Timeline (Acer) and the Monitor was death as he was travel in Europe. The replacement had cost him € 355.00 in Colonge. In Thailand he would have paid THB 4,000 incl. Service! Both by Acer Service Center! So, why that?

Is it a rip off? If you buy a new car in Europe you pay, let say € 20,000.00 and if you buy the same car but assembled, just all the parts, how much it would cost? 10-15 times the cost of an ready made car! Also a rip off? There many examles about cost of an finish product and cost of the spare parts!!

7. tgquan67

tgquan67 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    I think it's not about the part, but the service. The part isn't that expensive, but the service, err, I'm not sure if it's cheap everywhere :sticktongue:

8. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    If he screwed the BIOS why not reflash .

I still wonder why he did a GOOGLE to find some shutdown option.
    when all he had to do was command prompt
    shutdown /?
    PS: Acer also has this info
    power up plugged in....
    1. removed battery(s)
    2. press and hold start button until shutdown
    3. removed power plug
    4. removed HDD
    5. plugin power cord
    6. press and hold power button for 2 or 3 s.
    7. if needed press power button again to start ....
    it should auto boot into BIOS....

9. thisorthat

thisorthat MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2012
    Windows 8 damaged some hardware on a spare motherboard I had. It is an old Epox board with an AMD Athlon cpu.

Briefly here is the way things played out:

I had just started the Windows 8 installation and then about 2 minutes into it I received something to the effect of "Please restart computer due to error detected." It gave out some error codes in Base16 language.
    After that it failed to restart.

I had to disconnect the battery from the BIOS and move some memory chips around because the initial memory configuration (memory chips) never worked again. After some trouble shooting I got it working again with different ram.

Before this happened that motherboard,cpu,memory configuration had been reliable.

Hard to believe but true.

10. michelan

michelan MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2012
    FOR MY SELF._°

I have a asus maximus Gene V and to acces bios option I need to launch a software that let me acces bios boot option after restart.
    for me is "asus boot setting" this software is needed only if your install windows 8 using UEFI
    boot setting.jpg

without that software I can not acces BIOS that's why is bios secure.

11. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    is windows 8 still available to run? I have noticed with win8, that sometimes you cannot get to the bios at boot unless I go into "msconfig" and change the settings around and then put them back to "selective startup" and tick all 3 marks. that includes boot original config. AND sometimes I need to do it twice before I can get into the bios. FYI if you can still boot windows.

12. tgquan67

tgquan67 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    I think a full shutdown will help you access the BIOS, rather than the hibernate-shutdown hybrid.
    And to perform a full shutdown, I permanently disabled hibernate :D

13. turyalay

turyalay MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2010
    i was just wondering if you managed to fix your acer as i have the same problem with mine

14. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    #34 pii, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
    300+ because they aren't going to install it for free.

If he can do it himself though I'm sure he can save some $$.

OP have you tried going online to get your manual and see if you can reflash the bios somehow?
    Also like someone else said a bad drive can make it appear you are hung at BIOS screen as it tries to find your dirves. Have you waited long enough to be sure its hung?

What was that command supposed to do just boot to the BIOS? If you can't reflash your BIOS you can always buy a new BIOS Chip fairly cheap and just pop it in (if its not soldered), just google BIOS chip replacement.
    You may want to ask the repair place if they can replace BIOS chip first if you don't feel good about opening your laptop yourself.

Oh and Win8 didn't mess up your Laptop, you did :)

15. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    #35 pii, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
    "Windows 8 damaged some hardware on a spare motherboard I had. It is an old Epox board with an AMD Athlon cpu.

Briefly here is the way things played out:

I had just started the Windows 8 installation and then about 2 minutes into it I received something to the effect of "Please restart computer due to error detected." It gave out some error codes in Base16 language.
    After that it failed to restart.

I had to disconnect the battery from the BIOS and move some memory chips around because the initial memory configuration (memory chips) never worked again. After some trouble shooting I got it working again with different ram.

Before this happened that motherboard,cpu,memory configuration had been reliable.

Hard to believe but true. "

Hardly proof win 8 did the damage. Matter of fact it sounds like you just had some bad RAM.

16. rjk123

rjk123 MDL Member

Apr 29, 2011
    It really depends on the optional hardware you have installed.

Software can control the data lines on a parallel port. Switching of parallel port could be used to initiate launch of nuclear missile. Missile fails to launch, detonates in silo, launch site destroyed, software destroys hardware. :biggrin:

17. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    You might find it useful to search the "bios mod" thread for acer. I'm sure people have modded bios and got themselves into trouble. If any recover methods are available they will be discussed there. ...T

18. thisorthat

thisorthat MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2012
    Dude, this isn't my first go around with computer systems.

That motherboard/cpu/ram combo was running perfect up to the second I tried loading Win8.

19. vacaloca

vacaloca MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2008
    What OP should do is to re-flash his BIOS using the recovery procedures built-in. (replace hxxp by http to get the links)

ryanpermadi135,

Download the latest BIOS from Acer for your system from here: (make sure that the link below is the correct model number for your Acer notebook! -- assuming Aspire 4755G as you posted)
    hxxp://support.acer.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=3803

The service manual for your notebook is here:
    hxxp://support.acer.com/acerpanam/Manuals/acer/2011/ServiceGuides/SG_Aspire_4755_4755G_BOOK_20110616.pdf

On page 160 of the above PDF, it talks about recovering the BIOS using the DOS image file that I mentioned earlier, as well as some other EFI files... however, I haven't been able to locate these files online, but I only looked for a few minutes.

A similar thread on a 4750 BIOS recovery is here, but the OP never responded what worked for them to restore the BIOS:
    hxxp://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/39630-Acer-4750g-BIOS-RECOVERY-PLS-HELP

Regardless of all the (not entirely useful) research, go back to the service center and have the guy do a BIOS crysis disk restore... something tells me they did not do that to begin with.

20. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Wow, went the extra mile.