Windows 8 ruin my motherboard

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ryanpermadi135, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    #41 pii, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    Dude nor is it mine.

You can have bad ram and never know it if you don't fill it to the point of the failing sim or memory location. But if for some reason (say installing a new OS) you use a lot of RAM and it hits that point BOOM.

I also noticed you said it was OLD so who knows maybe it was time for it to go to. :)

So it doesn't matter if this isn't your first go round with PC's what you posted is not proof win 8 broke your PC. It only proves the RAM SIMM was bad and you were installing Win 8.

Perhaps you can explain how it broke it if you think it did, failing that just explain how software could have killed your SIMM?

2. thisorthat

thisorthat MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2012
    #42 thisorthat, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    Frankly, I don't have the time nor desire to provide "proof" of what happened. I posted my experience in case someone comes across a similar issue.

I am out.

3. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Back when I was messing with OS X on my TravelMate 2480 laptop, the OS X installer itself would factory reset my BIOS. This was a common thing among other users and different boards too.

No idea if this is a similar case, but Windows 8 could of caused the OP's BIOS to react strangely.

4. chrisdeco

chrisdeco MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    It happened same phenomenon with my SAMSUNG RV520 and I try this like already said in some replies at this thread :

- Bios says (at bottom of the screen : "System resuming...") - F2 is not available. Ggggrrrr (I say Ggggrrr not bios :D)
    - stop the PC by long pressing of the power button
    - remove AC plug
    - remove battery
    - wait a few (30 sec)
    - reconnect battery only and F2 will reappear when pc restarts
    - when restarted reconnect AC plug

This works for my SAMSUNG RV520. I ignore what happens with others machines.
    Before I posted, I tried this several times and the result may vary according to the delay before reconnecting battery. Soory for approximate english (not native language...:rolleyes:)

5. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Just because "B" happened right after "A" doesn't mean A caused B. I, for one, don't care about proof. I just care that noobs might see the thread title and think that this is actually possible, whereas I am extremely doubtful that installing Windows 8 caused the motherboard to go bad.

Not trying to attack you, thisorthat, but if you're that experienced with computers, and I'm not saying that aren't experienced at all, then this wouldn't be the first time you would've experienced a coincidence like this.

I have 30 years experience and I still see computers with inexplicable behavior. One time a problem plagued me for months on two desktops on the same home network until I just happened to come across the solution when not even looking for it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Good idea since there is NO Proof.

All you can show is you had a bad SIMM that prevented you from installing Windows 8. The fact that you noticed it on your "old" setup during a W8 install is nothing more than a coincidence.

nuff said.