Windows 8/Server Virtualization

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jyaniv, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Pegatron

Pegatron MDL Member

Jul 5, 2010
    You have to replace the install.wim inside the ISO you already have.

2. Pegatron

Pegatron MDL Member

Jul 5, 2010
    It's all good. Threads are good.:thumbsup:

3. Dodge34

Dodge34 MDL Junior Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Ok, thanks, will do that and try again soon,

4. andykn

andykn MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2009
    And maybe we've already found posts on how to install on VMware, seen the supported software includes VMware Workstation 7.1.4but can't find any meaningful information on this error:

[msg.log.monpanic] *** VMware Workstation internal monitor error ***
    vcpu-0:NOT_IMPLEMENTED vmcore/vmm/intr/apic.c:1903

Having VMware worksation already we don't want VMware player, Virtualbox or to have to boot frm a separate VHD. And don't particularly want to upgrade to a beta of VMware 8.

If you have an answer for this error on this software apprently supported by Win 8, please chip in, if you don't, please don't.

5. Gilpinreid

Gilpinreid MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2011
    ISO Native Support for Windows 8

In a latest disclosure made by Windows 8 Engineering team, it has been confirmed that Windows 8 OS will come equipped with built-in ISO mounting and VHD (virtual hard disk) features.

According to Microsoft, both these features will come as integral components of the Windows 8 Explorer ribbon menu, and mounting of a VHD or ISO file will be as simple as opening a file with double-click.

As of now, the Windows platform allows a user to read an ISO file only when burnt onto a CD or DVD, and then inserted into the computer’s optical drive. Another popular method included the use of a third party application such as Daemon or ISO Buster, which enabled users to read ISO files without requiring them to burn the file onto an optical disc.

In addition to the enhanced ability to read ISO files, Microsoft Windows 8 will also be featuring native support for Virtual Hard Drives, which work on the same line as the former, but with the added advantage of allowing users to modify or edit files as if they were being operated from a physical drive.

However, according to experts, these features are primarily aimed at the more advanced features and not something that all users will be using on a regular basis. The trend of incredibly large and small form-factor hard disks means we can store ever increasing amounts of data without worrying about running out of capacity. Windows 8 enables easy access to the contents of two important storage formats, ISO and VHD files. While we generally think of these formats when they appear on media, they are also very useful as files within a file system and that is where native support in Explorer comes in handy.

6. Windows4live

Windows4live MDL Addicted

Jan 31, 2011
    If you have nothing to do :D

7. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Did you expect a "No, we don't want you to post the shots!"? :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Windows4live

Windows4live MDL Addicted

Jan 31, 2011
    Canouna: Do you know if Win8 running itself as a hypervisor as well?

9. tejaaus

tejaaus MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2011
    yes.. me too. I am going test it

10. jean_phile

jean_phile MDL Junior Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hi all,

FYI, works fine on windows vmware workstation 8.

excuse my English, I'm french.

Jeanphile.

11. sararocs

sararocs MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2008
    Yes, workstation 8 came out today and I installed the Windows 8 Developer Preview Build 8102 M3 and so far it has worked very well.

12. razionut

razionut MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2011
    Also Windows Server works fine on vmware 8:biggrin:

13. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    I'm aware (through other posts on the Building Windows 8 Blog) that Second-Level Address Translation (SLAT) and 4 GB of RAM are a minimum for Hyper-V (and that the first limits it to, on the Intel side, LGA1155 on the desktop- in other words, the requirements are stricter than those for VT-x). Are there minimum requirements as far as which Sandy Bridge (LGA1155 only) CPUs and chipsets support Hyper-V? This is important to me personally as I'm cross-grading to i5-2500k and Z68 (ASUS P8Z68-V LX); however, I seriously expect others with interest in desktop virtualization would like to know how cheapskate they can go with Hyper-V, simply because Hyper-V has quite a few options VT-x lacks.

14. PGHammer

Oct 14, 2011
    With the lack of Windows 8 Server leakage (OS) and the current lack of SLAT/EPT support of my CPU (Q6600 currently), I've substituted Windows Server 2008R2 with SP1 for Windows 8 Server. It includes Hyper-V (as does Windows 8, both Server and Client) - however, unlike Windows 8 Client (and like Windows 8 Server), it forgoes both the SLAT/EPT processor requirement and the 4 GB of RAM requirement for the host. Unlike VirtualPC, it supports x64 guests (Windows and certain Linux distributions for now). That means that, at least for Windows guests/VMs, it (Hyper-V) can replace VirtualPC and VirtualBox.

15. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    It depends on how you're using the system. Unlike VMware or VirtualBox, Hyper-V runs the host OS itself ("parent partition" in Hyper-V terms) on top of the Hypervisor, which is fine for using it the way it's intended (server virtualization and VDI). Using the host OS as a general-purpose workstation though isn't a usable option, in my experience, as it cripples multimedia performance, and you get lags on simple video or audio playback.

Perhaps this is no longer an issue with SLAT-capable CPUs and the RemoteFX improvements of SP1, but unfortunately I'm lacking the compatible hardware to try it out. I am therefore using Hyper-V only on my servers (2008 R2 Server Core), and VMware on my workstation.

16. PGHammer

Oct 14, 2011
    Targets for Windows 8 Server?

That's why I'm not running this on a primary OS (which you don't want to do with any hypervisor in any case, currently) - it's not a problem unique to Hyper-V (both Xen and vSphere have the same issue). Right now, I don't know of a single hypervisor that *doesn't* have the issue.The very reason I'm curious about Hyper-V is that it replaces XPMode (and VirtualPC) as the base level of desktop virtualization for Windows going forward; like yourself, I don't have a SLAT/EPT-compliant CPU *yet* (most of the LGA1155 CPU crop, including my eventual choice of i5-2500K, is SLAT/EPT-compliant), hence my adding first Server 2008 R2 SP1, then Windows 8 Server, as a secondary OS.However, I'm curious now more about what Windows 8 Server is targeted at - is it Windows Home Server? Is it the weird server-as-workstation OS crowd (including those that run 2008 R2 as an overgrown hypervisor)? Or is it a different market altogether?

17. elhassan

elhassan MDL Member

Dec 9, 2011
    last virsion of VB is compatibe with windows 8