Windows 8 Start Menu alternatives thread

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ineedh3lp, Oct 11, 2012.

?

What W8 start button solution do you prefer?

1. Power 8 (by Power8 Team)

9 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. StartMenu8 (by IObit)

12 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. Start Menu X (by OrdinarySoft)

3 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. Classic Shell (by Ivo Beltchev)

104 vote(s)
    33.9%
  5. Spesoft Free Windows 8 Start Menu (by Spesoft)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. ViStart (by Lee Matthew Chantrey)

3 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. Revel BringBack 2012 (by RevelSoftware)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Handy Start Menu (by HandyStartMenu)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Start8 (by Stardock Corporation)

97 vote(s)
    31.6%
  10. None / Not interested

79 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. mlauzon

mlauzon MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2012
    It's already listed in this topic!

On a side note, you've got over 20 posts, you don't need to use CODE, you can actually use the URL tags for any links!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bruce356

bruce356 MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2012
    I agree most strongly StartIsBack (by Tihiy) should be included, it IS the best, he has put a lot of work into this and $3 won't even buy you a good cup of coffee these days. I've tested most alternatives, had TiHiy not come up with this solution I would have used his Ex7forW8 solution.
    Just my two bobs worth.
    Thanks

3. mlauzon

mlauzon MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2012
    Guess you've never been to Tim Hortons!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Emy12

Emy12 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2012
    You're perfectly right, but $3 x with, let's say, a few hundreds thousands of users = nice income :)
    I am not using any of above, it's fine the way it is. If I need I have these options posted.

5. mlauzon

mlauzon MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2012
    #65 mlauzon, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Wentutu Start Menu for Windows 8:
    Code:
    wentutu.com/

6. ALeXTheGreaT

ALeXTheGreaT MDL Junior Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Have you find any free start menu that has fully native design like Start8?

Why none is doing it? One of Start8's greatest success is the native design...

7. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Stardock software is pure garbage. Its only a matter of time before it screws up your system.

8. stan27

stan27 MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2012
    thanks for the info....:biggrin:

9. mlauzon

mlauzon MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2012
    Check out StartIsBack.

10. jigo

jigo MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2012
    why is it that Start8 has a report in the virustotal? is this false positive or it really has something in it?

11. mlauzon

mlauzon MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2012
    It's a false-positive, because it's changing some minor things in Win8.

12. Belarathon

Belarathon MDL Senior Member

Nov 21, 2007
    StartIsBack is brilliant. After a few minutes of use, it became obvious it was a no brainer and I purchased it for a measly three bucks.

13. anonymous_user

anonymous_user MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2012
    Not free though:

14. mlauzon

mlauzon MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2012
    It [StartIsBack] is free for 30 days, just like Start8. I haven't used SIB, just S8.

After 30 days SIB costs $3 for a license, where S8 costs $5...you're telling me you don't have enough for either option?

15. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Care to explain? It seems just fine to me. I've also used several of their products and never have and issue.

16. TShadow

TShadow MDL Junior Member

May 21, 2007
    #77 TShadow, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
    It is not a question about if someone has $3 or $5 or even less, it's about that someone won't or can't buy over the Internet and wants to apply a cost free version.
    I think everybody should try all the different start menus and find out what suits him most.

17. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Microsoft made the right decision removing the Start Menu as Developers make use of a missing feature which isnt really needed but wanted by many, making a bit of money with it.
    In the end you can make Windows 8 already work just like Windows 7 with a bunch of Metro extras of wich a few are not skippable but part of how you use Windows 8.

StartIsBack is the best solution right now (as far as getting back the old startmenu), but if you plan on buying it for the purpose on using it on the next Windows version you should know that it's probably not going to happen, when Microsoft removes the bits that are still left right now, StartIsBack can no longer work like it is now. But thanks to it's very low price you are probably not going to really care :)

18. mlauzon

mlauzon MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2012
    #79 mlauzon, Nov 20, 2012
    ^^^^^^

We'll see:

Code:
    cio-today.com/news/Will-the-Start-Menu-Make-a-Return-/story.xhtml?story_id=0330041RIW6X

19. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #80 Shenj, Nov 20, 2012
    Another article with no base :)
    Adding back the Startmenu by Default will make Windows 8 so extremly confusing that i would go straight in and kill the Startmenu
    It's not about choice, it's about what makes sense.. There are few things in Windows 8 that kick you into Metro envoirment, so it's IMPOSSIBLE to completly skip Metro.
    2 StartMenus do not make sense and make for complicated behaviour, the Startmenu was already removed in a very early stage by design, not because of Sinofsky but because it simply makes no sense.