Windows 8 - UEFI Install - File more than 4 GB - How?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by valued17, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
  2. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Once set up (imo) my way is :
    -easier as it doesn't need a 2nd flashdrive
    -you don't have to ever access the fat32 partition
    -minimal files on the fat32 drive (only refind, no boot.wims or setup files)
    -not sure how to word this, but less use of install.wim autodetection if the booted boot.wim is in the same dir as install.wim

Quick spiel for refind...
    -by using refind you have the option to boot infinite bootx64.efi files. It autodetects mac and its recovery, Windows and its recovery,Linux, any .efi file in a directory in \EFI, legacy bootloaders (with csm), syslinux efi, grub2 efi, various Windows efi bootloders for boot.wim, Ubuntu, etc.
    IMO refind is EFIs best friend, especially when using clovers ntfs.efi driver. It even boots with Secureboot enabled if you use shim.

3. cengizhan

cengizhan MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    any tutorial to use refind with secureboot and shim ? do we have to add custom certificate to efi bios ?

4. devdevadev

devdevadev MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2013

Hello Sir,

I am a regualar user of 'E2B'. I am also interested in 'Mac'. As far as I know no one can help me other than 'HALIKUS' and 'Steve'. After lots of search finally I found a expert ( i.e. 'HALIKUS' ) who already did each and everything what I always want to use.

So I want to use both 'Modified E2B' and 'rEIFind' according to your method. So please give me a simple Tutorial for both.

My Email ID is - krishnadevanand92 @ gmail . com

Thanks for such a great 'Modified E2B' ....................

5. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
  6. devdevadev

devdevadev MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2013
    Hello Sir,

w__.easy2boot.com/add-payload-files/adding-windows-install-isos-without-needing-a-helper-flash-drive/

rmprepusb.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/mpicloverpacklite005-bugfix.html

Actually I am currently using Steve 'Method 3' in order to UEFI booting of Windows 7/8 installers with >4GB install.wim files. 'Method 3' explained by Steve is limited to Fixed Drive only.

i.e.

\_ISO\WIN\Win8_1.imgPTNLBAa - contains CSM and Clover files
    \_ISO\WIN\Win8_1 - contains image of Win x64 ISO installer
    \_ISO\WIN\Win8_1.txt - (optional) replacement title

But I have to split the install.wim file (Method 1) in order to UEFI booting of Windows 7/8 installers with >4GB install.wim files for Removable USB Drives.

I want a method which works for both 'Removable USB Drive' and 'Fixed Drives'.

If your method also works for Removable USB Drive, then please tell me about the necessary files which I have to put within 'FAT32' and 'NTFS' Partition Images ?

i.e.

\_ISO\WIN\Win8_1.imgPTNLBAa - ?????????????????????????????????????
    \_ISO\WIN\Win8_1 - ?????????????????????????????????????

How I can use your Stripped Version in order to install Mac OS (.dmg and .iso) ?

Please tell me about advanced feature of 'Stripped Version' other than of 'E2B' ?

I need your Gmail ID so that I can communicate with you via mail too.
    Please send me a mail in my Gmail ID - krishnadevanand92 @ gmail . com

Thanks for Quick reply...............

7. devdevadev

devdevadev MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2013

Hello Sir,

I like above feature too much. But Emergency never provide sufficient time to create \sources, \boot\ and _ISO dirs within Internal or External HDD.

Is it possible so that 'Modified E2B' scan all HDDs (both internal and external) and FDDs for ISOs, IMGs, Windows ISOs, etc ?
    So that I can utilize
    ISOs, IMGs, Windows ISOs, etc within from Internal or External HDD or FDD without any limitation of creating \sources, \boot\ and _ISO dirs.

Currently 'Modified Stripped version of E2B' does not scan External HDDs for possible \sources, \boot\ and _ISO dirs. Please do something so that I can also boot ISOs, IMGs, Windows ISOs, etc within from an External HDD too.......................

Thanks for your Unique and Great Work..............

8. Jametmy

Jametmy MDL Novice

May 31, 2014
    its works fine on 1 usb stick {dual partition}
    the question nowis . How can I create a dual system, that both Windows 7 and Windows 8 can install from the usb stick

9. steve2926

steve2926 MDL Member

Nov 13, 2010
    It will only work with a dual partition if the usb stick is of the 'fixed-disk' type. If the usb stick is of the 'Removable' type then Windows won't see the 2nd partition.

To install or run multiple Windows installers in both MBR and UEFI mode from a USB drive, try Easy2Boot.

10. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #90 LiteOS, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    use setup.exe /installfrom
    place the install.wim on usb
    usb need be also fat32 ?if u boot from dvd?

11. Jametmy

Jametmy MDL Novice

May 31, 2014

@ lite8
    @Steve 2926

I know, one fixed disk, 1 partition fat32 and 1 ntfs (diskpart).
    On the fat disk all the folders, but in the source folder only the install.wim.
    On the ntfs partition all the folders from de dvd so it can also be used for a legacy boot
    This al on one 64gb usb stick

But what I mean is, how can I have more than one installation on my USB drive, {for example} Windows 7 or I can choose for Windows 8 or 32 bit or 64 bit installation
    I know that the Windows image is in install.wim file.
    Can i put a second install.wim file in the source directory.
    Do i change then the boot.wim file?
    Or should I create/download a new install.wim file with both image?
    After changing de install.wim file must i also change de boot.wim or any other file?

I want to have an opportunity to choose from more installation
    I have more than enough space free on my USB drive

12. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #92 LiteOS, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    i made aio but its not UEFI
    cos need 32bit boot.wim and 64bit boot.wim
    try this cos i didn't try that yet i gonna soon...

add to bcdstore the second boot.wim
    like boot64.wim and Windows Setup X64 [UEFI]
    its will install from install.wim which contain both 32-64bit

and if its bigger then 4giga just lite or use installfrom

dont get the hype around uefi my pc just take 4 secs more to boot camper to uefi system

13. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    UEFI has no size limitation. If you have a 3TB Hdd, you can only use 2TB in bios/legacy mode. The remaining 1TB is not usable.
    OA3 for Win8 requires UEFI & Windows 8 Enhancement be enabled in the BIOS(Well, it's not a bios,it's UEFI)!
    UEFI logo support for OEM's.
    Fast boot options. If you have a lot of devices plugged in, card reader, etc. This does make booting to Desktop much quicker.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Jametmy

Jametmy MDL Novice

May 31, 2014

More then 4GB is no probleem on the ntfs partition, my install.wim {Windows 8.1 + office en more stuf} is about 7,6 GB and it is working perfect on the usb stick.

But i want more than that.

Any ideas how I can do this?

15. Jametmy

Jametmy MDL Novice

May 31, 2014

I found out when I just replace the install.wim with one of windows 7, it starts with the appearance of windows 8 BUT the next step is that I can choose from a Windows 7 installation. (32 bit or 64 bit }

all under a UEFI bootable usb drive

I believe in the boot.wim must come a rule that he must also look for (example) install1.wim

is there a way to customize the boot.wim file?

16. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Can you be more specific as to what you want?

17. Jametmy

Jametmy MDL Novice

May 31, 2014
    I want to have a Multi boot usb drive.

I want to be able to choose between different boot image from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and between 32 and 64 bit
    Choosing between legancy And UEFI, or more than 4 GB that's not a problem

I found out when I just replace the install.wim with one of windows 7, it starts with the appearance of windows 8 BUT the next step is that I can choose from a Windows 7 installation. (32 bit or 64 bit }

all under a UEFI bootable usb drive

I believe in the boot.wim must come a rule that he must also look for (example) install1.wim

I
    s there a way to customize the boot.wim file?

18. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    #98 murphy78, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    As far as using 2 different boot.wims and install.wims on the same image, It's not impossible, it's just a bad idea.
    You would have to hex edit a lot of things to change install.wim calls to instal2.wim or something with the same amount of characters.
    But then the signatures wouldn't match, so you'd get an ugly yellow unknown program UAC prompt when people try to run it in upgrade mode.

Upgrades also present their own problems when hybridizing x86/x64 or win7/win8.
    I think that you're experienced enough to know that you don't want to use the upgrade optional sources files though, and just stick to boot installs.

I honestly couldn't tell you how to modify the setup files since I've never done that for the methods other than x86/x64 hybrid.
    You will need to play with bcdedit and make new entries for the 2nd boot option

Here's my old notes from x86/x64 hybrid modding, you can use that as a reference and perhaps use the setup.exe methods to modify the setup.exe inside boot.wim and sources\
    x86/x64 Hybrid notes:
    Code:
    Navigate to \boot\

bcdedit /store bcd /copy {default} /d "x64 Recovery Mode"

This command shall tell you the GUID of the copy made, make a note of it.

Next set the new loader to load the 64 bit PE by executing:

bcdedit /store bcd /set {GUID} device ramdisk=[boot]\sourc64\boot.wim,{7619dcc8-fafe-11d9-b411-000476eba25f}
    bcdedit /store bcd /set {GUID} osdevice ramdisk=[boot]\sourc64\boot.wim,{7619dcc8-fafe-11d9-b411-000476eba25f}
    (Replace {GUID} with the GUID you noted down, keep the {}s)

Finally, alter the boot timeout by executing:
    bcdedit /store bcd /timeout 5

Win8 set legacy mode (may have to do on BOTH boot options. I actually removed x64 upgrade from a win7AIO image using easybcd
    then added the new one using this method)
    bcdedit /store bcd /set {GUID} bootmenupolicy Legacy

Stage 4: getting upgrade to work
    Now, the one problem left is upgrade installs on 64 bit. This involves hex editing files, and so breaks the digital signature, causing the ugly yellow UAC prompt. This is, I am almost ashamed to say, the first of two such cosmetic glitches.

Now first open D:\AIO\DVD\setup64.exe in your hex editor. Search and replace all instances of the unicode string "sources\" with "sourc64\". Although this breaks the signature, it does not break the program, because both strings are the same length.
    Now, open D:\AIO\DVD\sourc64\autorun.dll, and replace all instances of the unicode string "sources\setup.exe" with "sourc64\setup.cmd"

Now, create a file in D:\AIO\DVD\sourc64 called setup.cmd containing exactly this:

setup.exe /installfrom:\sources\install.wim

This is the cause of the second cosmetic glitch. A command prompt is briefly visible before setup is launched.

Now, the autorun.inf must be modified so that it runs setup64 on x64 systems. Modify it so it contains:

[Autorun.Amd64]
    open=setup64.exe
    icon=setup64.exe,0

[Autorun]
    open=setup.exe
    icon=setup.exe,0

19. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    lol, just for this reason I decided to separate architectures, for UEFI/GPT and BIOS/MBR capable AIOs.

20. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    #100 murphy78, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017

Attached Files: