Windows 8 Upgrade from Pirated Disk

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by dannymichel, Jan 6, 2013.

1. dannymichel

dannymichel MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2013
    My friend wanted to upgrade to a legit copy of Windows 8, so the plan was to download a copy of Windows XP Media Center 2005 OEM, which was the only legit Windows product key he had on an old machine. He downloaded what he thought was Windows XP Media Center 2005, but when he installed from the pirated disk, it never asked him for a product key. So he followed instructions to change his Windows product key. He removed the product key then tried to enter his legit version. The legit product key didn't work, so I recommended he right click my computer and confirm the version. We found out that the torrent falsely said it was 2005 and it really was 2002. So Windows now didn't have any product key installed(or at least hopefully. we didn't restart his machine after having removed the old product key from the registry).

We ended up just purchasing the upgrade and installing Windows 8 without putting another product key in. If somehow the product key wasn't removed, did we just upgrade some pirated Windows XP product key? Does it not matter what product key you were using with the previous operating system when you purchase and install Windows 8?

2. I966

I966 MDL Junior Member

Nov 28, 2009
    no

u even can install windpws 8 from dvd where on c: is empty folder called windows

and use upgrade key

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ljimbo

ljimbo MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2010
    As Pisthai posted.. get the RTM from the repo around here someplace ;)

I was using a Bios-Mod activated Win7 that was actually in a non genuine state because i reflashed with a new bios that wasnt modded .. and i was still able to buy a key for Win8 and ive done maybe 4-5 fresh installs using the RTM Dvd with no issues whatso ever.