Windows 8 upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by psychok9, Nov 13, 2012.

1. psychok9

psychok9 MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2009
    I've I bought Win 8 pro x64 upgrade version, and I'm in panic because I don't want lost activation (I'm still with Win7 at the moment).
    Many people told me to back up, but I did not understand what is the most "correct/best" procedure or program.

Any help?

I'm using SLICed bios/Z77 motherboard.

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Why panic? simply do a complete backup of your 7 with Acronis for example and then upgrade to 8. If it fails, remount your backup and you're back with your 7. Btw: didn't you do any backups in the past?

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. psychok9

psychok9 MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2009
    I thought that Windows did not ask me to activate the key online, but directly from the installation (iso/usb boot).
    This means that I can re-install it as many times as I want? :confused:

5. Kamar

Kamar MDL Junior Member

Dec 24, 2009
    If you bought upgrade key ,then you don't have to worry about activation ! No more Mr. Nice , asking you to activate your copy of window . On first connecting to Internet , It first goes home to activate the copy , without informing you or asking for permission !!

If you are on same computer , No you wouldn't even know .

Best App is Acronis True Image and worth every cent.

Do a fresh Install and backup up the Image . I make Image after installing all my essential apps. Then reload whenever needed.

One thing keep in mind . During Fresh install win7 creates a 100 mb system folder. And Win 8 will install on that existing 100 mb system folder . But if you format and delete the 100 mb folder and offer unallocated space , win 8 creates a 350 mb system folder .
    this creates a mismatch in size of system folder . Probably acronis can handle it . But just try it before you put final trust in it .

6. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
  7. psychok9

psychok9 MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2009
    @rrohela

But can I restore, If the original DVD ask me the key before the installation process?
    Thanks a lot