Windows 8 vs 7

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by anima, Jan 5, 2013.

1. a7medo778

a7medo778 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    well its only 15$, and its the NEW os from microsoft,
    sure some people find change hard, but we all gotta do it and i been a w8 user since beta 1 and once you get used to it its way better than win7

never trust the hype

2. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Its got nothing to do with change for me, i just do not want to go with win8. Ms can bring up all there psychological rubbish, but most do not want win8.

Ms where late bringing out win8 and most already have android or apple tablets, and most like win7 or winxp. Its there choice to choose, and i am staying with win7. Maybe i may look at win9 lol

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. anima

anima MDL Junior Member

Feb 17, 2011
    i have windows 8 from my company as a gift.
    But since you say there are troubles with drivers etc i think i will stay with windows 7

4. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    There are no troubles with drivers, unless you run a 10 year old unsupported PC then yeah maybe.. and some very crap OEM machines the OEM doesn't care about do not offer w8 compatbile drivers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    I will wait at least 6 months, I did the same for previous versions of Windows :D

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Truth is that much more 3. party device and/or equipment working "out of box" with Windows 8 than with any other version of Windows in the past and that includes Windows 7 as well! The downward compatibility is just excellent in Windows 8. Also there is at all times the choice to use Compatibility Mode if you really run in trouble with drivers.

The only Printer I wasn't get to work with Windows 8 (and also didn't with 95/98/2000/Millenium/XP/Vista/Windows 7!!!) is an old Xerox Wheelprinter Diabolo 630 from 1984! That Printer still works on Windows 3.11!!

7. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Windows 8 is okay if you get past the UI changes, which I should point out (like I have numerous times) that I don't really like! It could have been far better. The UI situation won't change anytime soon either. In fact, new information regarding SP1 for Windows 8 (will appear as a separate entity, much like SP1 for Windows 98 which was Windows 98 SE) is that they plan to neuter the desktop interface even more (make it more flat). I think they are really trying to push sales through their Metro App store for profit, and before people disagree with that, it's exactly what they plan to do hence the cheap upgrade prices!

So, if you want a good looking OS that is fast and stable, go with Windows 7. If you want a touch screen interface or a boring looking desktop interface, go with Windows 8. If you plan on getting Office, just make sure you check out Office 2013 first. It is the most boring interface of any Office for a long time, and all the whites and off whites can create eye strain if you have to use it for extended periods.

8. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    You can change the massive amount of white to greyish in Office 2013 which makes Office it easy on the eyes.
    Also styling is subjective, what one finds sexy is for another person very ugly, W7 is really not a prime example of "sexy" the Frame styling and Shadows are only minimal better to Vista, it's still not looking very good, but that's why ppl create and use custom themes for their OS of choice.

It's quite pointless to ask others whats better for yourself.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you use your computer for really and also hard working, go with Windows 8 and if you're user of Office as well, use Office 2013. Working with both will brings you quite a bit more speed and special MS Excel is working much much better and stable!

Also after getting use of the Windows 8 UI, it works in many means better than Windows 7 and again, more stable and faster! All of my customer's, without any exception who were changing from Xp and Windows 7 to Windows 8, wont go back any more.

10. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    8 is useless and the biggest spyware ever made with a stupid and annoying interface.
    Go with 7 if you still in the micro$oft galaxy.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Don't understand why you still post here if you had Windows 8 that much?! :eek:

12. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    It's cool to hate, didn't you know? :D

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    May have to be young for that? I'm to old already! And we're thinking a bit different in Asia!

14. bolthead

bolthead MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2007
    I’m still dual booting 8 & 7 but finding myself using 8 more often. With Start8 I can go straight to the desktop and skip metro (which I have no use for at the moment), no problem with drivers or the apps that I use, and at £25 a go I’m lucky enough to be able to afford a couple of legit copies.

15. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    I use metro and desktop both, once you get used to them there easy to use !! some times I catch myself trying to shutdown the computer in the lower left corner of the desktop :rolleyes: but other then that my games and utilities garman nuvi), printer(Lexmark) usb 3.0 all seem to work good, so I would go with win 8 :p

16. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Windows 8 is working well here. No issue of drivers on my Dell Inspiron N5110 (GT 525M). All my required applications are working fine in desktop mode, while modern UI provide me extra apps that often facilitate me in one or other way.... :)

17. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I have the same laptop here with few different conficurations but I can confirm:all works good in here!

18. Skillet

Skillet MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2013
    Never quite understood this commentary. "I love Windows 8! I made it look just like Windows 7!" :confused:

So, why not...

19. Sugadevan

Sugadevan MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2011
  20. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    That's what Microsoft describes as the "dark" theme option. And by "dark" they actually mean "still light farkin' grey that will affront your eyeballs." :biggrin: