Windows 8 vs 7

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by anima, Jan 5, 2013.

1. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Windows 8 is for the younger generation. I've been in the IT era since 1986 and for me, Windows don'tis the biggest fail ever. If I want a phone I buy one, but I don't like to be forced on me.
    I read the "boot up and shutdown times are faster". Well, I boot only once and only reboot when required by Windows updates, so those Windows 8 "features" don't interest me that much.
    The flat interface is also boring as hell, I don't care it has a "small memory print" when I have 8 or 16 GB RAM.
    MS designed Windows 8 as a front for their online store. Apple started this "user dumbing trend", but MS perfected it.
    Soon, we'll have no desktop and if this trend goes on, will have just PC-terminals with everything stored on some MS/Google server. We'll become the brainwashed workers of the hive, while the queen (MS+Google) will keep feeding us with "new toys".

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. romprod

romprod MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    Install either Classicstart or Start8 if you can afford a few dollars and everybody's half arsed 'issues' go away, I really don't see what the fuss is about.

3. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Yeah and your content gets created out of thin air :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nice_guy75

nice_guy75 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2010
    Windows 7....................

5. pusakindo

pusakindo MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2012
    In my opinion, it's still to early to use Windows 8 as your main OS. Even it has a faster booting and shuting down time, there are still plenty of Software and games which incompatible with Win8. So, i prefer Windows 7 x64. More compatible, n stable. :D

6. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    That's cause MS removed certain features from Win8, such as DirectDraw for example, which means that some Games and Programs that depend on DirectDraw will not work at all. Unless the company of those games and programs release a patch, to fix the issue.

7. Dawks

Dawks MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2013
    I'm using windows 8 as my main OS because I needed to do a fresh install and decided I want to go with something new, rather than the same old 7. Immediately after installing I installed startisback. This is a MUST. Metro is still there of course and you can take full advantage of the metro UI and apps with a quick touch of a button OR if you're more desktop inclined ignore metro completely and do all your work from there. There are other great start menu options too such as start8 but personally I like startisback the most out of all that I tried. Been using it in a VM for months and on the desktop for a few days and so far I haven't encountered anything 8 can't handle. All my old programs work, ui looks nicer, less memory usage, optional access to windows store, fully compatible with metro apps, some additional administration tools (though maybe I just never noticed in win7 lol) and of course that nice feeling you get when you use something new. Now I _KNOW_ there are certain technical things that I'm not mentioning that may be important for extreme power users. But so far I've not run into any trouble and my honest opinion of windows 8 is: "slightly faster version of windows 7 that can do more stuff."

8. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
  9. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    That's quite wasted, the bottom left hot corner is the Startbutton.. it even shows you a Startscreen preview, just move your mouse into the corner.. there is basically no point in wasting the precious space on your Taskbar with a useless replicated button :D

10. parapher

Nov 6, 2012
    Well, as I mention in my post the hot corner is not as quickly accessible, and, in fact, will mess up if you don't click-and-time it just right (try to do it fast and you'll inevitably see what I'm talking about). Like I said I'm a fast clicker and that hot corner is just not up to the task. Secondly, I've never really pinned that many items to the taskbar, so for me it's not getting crowded down there (yet) :D

11. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    What? It's very easy to quickly access.. way easier than trying to hit some button, you can always bring up the Startscreen through the hot corner even blind. I have no issues doing it fast.
    It's simply you not handling your mouse properly, you don't need to double click anything on the Taskbar, so you shouldn't have to double click. If you click several times you are actually inpatient and the cause might be your slow pc and applications not responding fast enough, so you click more even though clicking more doesn't result in any gain

You are not a fast clicker, you are a button smasher ;) You should learn to control what you are doing, if you double click stuff there is no point double clicking on you are just wasting the lifecycle of your hardware switch inside your mouse :D

12. parapher

Nov 6, 2012
    #52 parapher, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    My point in the post I shared was of course that the hot corners are already part of Win8, and since so many still don't like those or the lack of a button, I mentioned that the "Show Start" utility is a good option :) I would not want the hot corner not to be there, but rather to have options. That is the main gripe I initially had with Win8 (and still do to some extent); MS needs to give people more options, not take options away or replace them entirely.

Hot corners are fine, but then again on the Start Screen they don't mind giving a 2"x2" square for a tile app, but then what leads to the start screen can't have an item/button on the taskbar when they've trained people to look for it for ages? It's natural to have a visual representation of what you're doing, hence I find the Show Start a good option to have. I wasn't campaining to get rid of the hot corner, it is just not as reliable and accessible to me, I want to see what I'm clicking on before I click on it :D But you're right to an extent, it is not that hard to activate the hot corner, but what can I say, personal preferences are just that, preferences. Also, since I've been working in VM's a lot (and sometimes Win8 inside Win8, as it were) and you work in windowed mode than you'll see just thrusting your mouse cursor into the left bottom corner will land you outside your VM window :D (and then you'll see that the hot corner is decidedly smaller than the Show Start or Classic Shell start button, whichever you prefer, or both).

Main thing is, you have to find what works for you, hence it's good to share posts about your findings/experiences. I know it's easier to nitpick at other people's post and be reactionary, but what good is that? By the way, you list of conclusions about how I click and how fast or slow, it is a bit funny -- and, I might add, more than a bit presumptuous :biggrin3:

13. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

You've spoken just like an apple employee when the users where complaining about purple photos with their iphone.

NTS: Remember to finalize my courses in Windows 8 mouse handling technique with magna cum laude if possible. :D

14. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    #54 bk109, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
    [joke]Err,don't know what you're smoking,but can you let the rest of us have a puff [/joke] :p

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    blue = Windows Blue

Next version between Windows 8 and Windows 9 (maybe!)!:D

16. parapher

Nov 6, 2012
    Windows Blue won't be an 'all new' OS, MS basically started a new OS update scheme that will see larger OS updates or refreshes if you will. Windows Blue has been rumored to basically still be Win8: still Modern UI, still no start button, and perhaps they will take transparency for the taskbar away as well. However, Windows Blue will sport kernel 6.3, and that in itself is major because Win8 vs Win7 saw kernel 6.2 over 6.1, so in that sense it is more substantial than a Service Pack.

17. thisorthat

thisorthat MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2012
    Bingo!!!!!

18. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    People actually did not know that ¿ ^o^

19. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I istalled W7 yesterday on ather machine and now I can see the average speed from Windows 8 is not big deal..In many circumstances W7 can beat 8...
    BTW: W7 SP 1 fully updated..:eek:

20. M&J

M&J MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Use Windows 7 my friend
    there are drivers probems in W8
    NO DVD Movie Maker in W8
    ------------------
    the ONLY things i like in W8 is the theme and iso mounther
    WHAT is it about W8:mad: that is better than W7?
    GO for W7 SP1:) and save your time.