Windows 8 vs 7

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by anima, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Netbanshee

Netbanshee MDL Junior Member

Dec 26, 2009
    If I had a touch screen PC, hmmmmm. MS is positioning itself to cover all bases. Very smart move despite all the negativity. For me I just install 3rd party apps to get it where I like it.:smokecowboy:

2. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    or a laptop. try getting a x200t to work...

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That shouldn't be a problem. But you'll need drivers for the 3G Module (F3501) and the Ricoh MMC/SD Cardreader. All other should work out of box!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MaSSaSlaYeR

MaSSaSlaYeR MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2013
    Worst of Win 8: VPN NOT WORKING!!!

5. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    :eek: Why is then Hamachi working for me?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    Windows 7,hands down :spoton::worthy:

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Also RAdmin just works very well! But it's Payware!

8. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    #108 parapher, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
    PS: is it just me or are StartIsBack and StartMenu8 (by Iobit) exactly the same app? I just saw the Iobit one went final, tried it, and even the settings menu looks very similar to StartIsBack. What's the deal? However, StartMenu8 is free.

9. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    While StartMenu8 uses several own background services to run, StartIsBack reactivates the start menu code which is still part of Win 8 and requires no additional services to work.

10. parapher

Nov 6, 2012
    But one of these apps is clearly based on the other, right? Because the design seems almost identical. I guess what I'm asking is: are the same people working on these apps?

11. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
  12. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Similiarities are only optical. StartMenu8 needs 5 (when counted correctly in Taskmanager) processes to work, while StartIsBack need none.

13. parapher

Nov 6, 2012
    OK, I saw the processes running in Task Manager, and that alone is enough for me to never consider the Iobit app :) Still, strange how similar these apps look! I would still say the people making these apps either know each other or are ripping each other... Or did someone make a universal Start Menu App Template somewhere and I just didn't know about it? :D Thanks for the info, though!

14. hazelkid

hazelkid MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2010
    Windows 7 is still the best IMHO.

15. Fast-007

Fast-007 MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009

if you are using Windows 8 with 10 other applications just to make it look's like Windows 7 GUI (Graphical User Interface) whitout AERO Glass... and you say its faster/smoother/cleaner, don't you think you are only fooling yourself a little?? ..
    im sure that you only wait for some prog/hack to use AERO to modify even more your "faster/smoother/clenaer" Windows 8 ..

there is no prof that Windows 8 is better/faster/smoother/cleaner/secure or stable, it's only a psychological illusion becuse you make a "fresh install" and it have a different GUI (Graphical User Interface) that don't use AERO Glass
    if you install fresh copy of Windows 7 with Classic Interface or Basic Interface and make some tweakreg it use less resource and less memory , you make it like 10 times faster than Windows 8 .

and it only have a minor kernel update, it still use the same kernel NT 6.x ... in fact Windows 8 is Windows 7 SP2 with metro UI and whitout start menu source code ...Microsoft never gonne release Windows 7 SP2, they want to make money making new versions so people can spend money ... Service packs have always been free to download but everyone knows that a Service pack is a new OS .. and it cost money to make and for Microsoft is better to "release" another version

i wait for a mayor kernel update (NT 7.1) NT6.X Version dont change much .....maybe Windows Blue comes with mayor kernel update....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and now answering this thread (it looks like some people have forget was it was made for, i dont mean ace2 just Quoted his answer)

IMHO :

if you like the start button :orb: and you like the start menu and you like AERO GLass, stay with Windows 7 SP1 (NT 6.1) it's rock solid, fast and secure .......

if you dont care about the start menu and want to learn something new and experiment with a new OS and want to use the ONLINE STORE and spend money try Windows 8 (NT 6.2) ...(it could be useful for you ..you never know if you never try)

if you later don't like it i recomend "StartIsBack" ....

16. parapher

Nov 6, 2012
    #117 parapher, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
    When I use Win7 (and I also do on several PC's) I use Classic Shell to get the classic start menu back, that was in Windows XP and still existed in Vista. So by your logic that would mean I should use Vista because you won't allow me to use Classic Shell in Windows 7. Do you see how that is not a fair thing to say? Just as Windows 8 is not only the lack of the Windows 7 start menu, so is Windows 7 not Vista but without a classic start menu. So I think it may be more fair to say that there are people who are annoyed when people using third-party apps to make using Windows 8 more to their liking, forgetting that most power users also set Win7 to auto login (skip logon screen), replace start menu, apply 1000+ tweaks and add context menus, etc., etc., to get things the way they prefer. So it is for people using Windows 8. So far, I have spent more time and applied more tweaks to Windows 7 than I have to Windows 8. So it proves nothing.

There have been some early tests that show Win8 is a bit faster in some select areas, but the differences are minute, if they even exist anymore at this stage. As McRip in the Win7 hotfix repo also commented, they are now slowly incorporating Win8 hotfixes (paraphrasing) into Win7. That just goes to show how similar and close the two OS's are. But kernel updates are *usually* for the better where it comes to speed and efficiency. I think most people confuse the 'flat' interface of Windows 8 to be a 'Basic' visual style, and that therefore the GUI behaves quicker/snappier than visual styles with Aero glass. But Windows 8 does not run a Basic style, it runs Aero. The only difference is that the glass effect has been taken out, but it is still running Aero. And only the speed/snappy difference between a Basic and an Aero theme is what is noticeable, not just the absence of glass. Again, Windows 8 does not run a Basic theme (although it may look like it). So I think the implication that Windows 8 seems faster in the GUI because it doesn't use glass is not necessarily correct. So I'm not sure how a 'different GUI' gives people the impression the OS or GUI is faster, as you say.

Vista was also 6.x kernel, so I'm not sure what you mean...

I really, really don't think so :)

17. Fast-007

Fast-007 MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009

yes, Windows NT 6.x kernel havent change much since first vista kernel NT 6.0 , its the same CODE with minor updates .....
    better wait to a mayor update, Windows NT 7.0 (codename Blue) to come, Microsoft have allready said Windows 8 wont have a Service pack , only updates ... ..... until then Windows 7 is the best choice if you want to have "start button" , "start menu" , Windows AERO Glass ...

18. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    how come that mister 007 knows about Windows blue to have a new kernel named NT7.0 ?
    MS issued W8 quite recently and did a great effort to do so and now you think or believe that they come with blue this summer having a new kernel? nah, this takes quite a while and will be introduced other wise, believe me :D

19. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    DEAR LORD! How do i appreciate these refraining people, trying to tell me, that if i want a start menu i have to go back to Se7en :doh:.
    I´m using the best of both worlds and i´m very comfort with this :D. Reactivated start menu code via StartIsBack and a solution for the glass-effect is work in progress.
    Btw, nice to state, there are only minor changes in kernel. Afaik some of the improvements in response times of Win 8 are based on a way better implementation of graphics cards usage in dwm process.

Using bold letters definitly won´t make your comments more convincing :D.