Windows and Toshiba laptop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Smart86, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

I'm confused here and I hope you guys can help clear things up . I have a 5 year old Toshiba laptop which has Vista Home Premium install . Now, I have lost the original disc and drive for it , so everything has changed there . I have an Vista home premium license keys but once I try to install at the install process I get I can not do an upgrade , that option is disable , only a custom install . Ok , but once I do such and finish the installment it shows up as an upgrade version under System , why does is show that and not just a normal full install ? Thanks

2. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
  3. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

#3 Smart86, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
    (OP)
    Sorry for that confusion ... I'm not trying to upgrade , I'm trying to install Vista Home Premium 32 bit . I'm trying to make the laptop legit by using the license keys that are underneath the laptop . I downloaded a Vista home premium version from this site . When I'm doing the windows installment part ? I see in the install process I can only do a custom installment , the upgrade part is greyed out and it say that the upgrade part is disable . So I'm only allow to perform a custom install which I ended up doing . Afterwards once windows is loaded and view the System info , it shows Vista Home Premium upgrade , so my question is why upgrade ? I hope this makes more sense ? In another word why does a full retail windows version show up as a upgrade and why is the upgrade part disable ?

4. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
  5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  6. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

#6 Smart86, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
    (OP)
    Which thread should I respond to for help in doing what you say I should do from that link over there or in here ? like where does one get this slic bios info at within the bios?

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  8. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

I hope this is the thread your talking about Tito ? Any ways I was looking at post #5 from Tito link and I don't understand what SLIC is or whether I have it in the bios . How can I tell whether I have it or not ? thanks

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  10. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

For me to understand this I'm going to use that toolkit to tell which types of keys I have , either SLP > System-Locked Pre-installation or Certificate of Authentication keys , Yes ? And afterwards then I will know which one of the two I have to use to make the right OEM disc ?

11. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

#12 Smart86, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014
    (OP)
    No offense redroad your post at the time I didn't have a clue what you posted but I see now this is not the case if I need to create the correct oem disc , I just though I could download a iso OS file and just use that , which would of been soooo much easier for me but I see that not the case

12. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #13 redroad, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  13. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

I did read what you gave me but I never understood it . That is another reason as to why I asked about having a dummies forum, that and to take things one step at a time for me to understand ... Pls forgive me again I don't get your above post . You say I don't need to create a OEM disk, right ? But then how do I install Windows or do what your saying in your post ? At the moment there is nothing on the laptop , the hard drive has been formatted .

14. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  15. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

#18 Smart86, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
    (OP)
  16. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

#20 Smart86, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
    (OP)
    Just so I can understand what I done . I used Utorrent program with a magnet . The magnet part are basically a file that one use's on a torrent program . But in my case that magnet wasn't a good one , because that windows version hash didn't match up with msdn website hash for that windows version ? In either case I'm still glad I'm learning something new and grateful to you for teaching me all this stuff . I try that link to download Windows and couldn't the first time , something about its been downloaded to many times already , it said to try later which I am now doing so . I also download that hash program . Yes, I do need to understand the hash part more but one step a time I will get there , thanks ... I will post back once I finish downloading and seeing the hash is good ...