Windows and Toshiba laptop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Smart86, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

I'm confused here and I hope you guys can help clear things up . I have a 5 year old Toshiba laptop which has Vista Home Premium install . Now, I have lost the original disc and drive for it , so everything has changed there . I have an Vista home premium license keys but once I try to install at the install process I get I can not do an upgrade , that option is disable , only a custom install . Ok , but once I do such and finish the installment it shows up as an upgrade version under System , why does is show that and not just a normal full install ? Thanks

2. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #2 tonto11, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    Now I'm confused too. You lost the original disk, but you're attempting to upgrade it with something, you do not say what. I would get a fresh copy of Vista from the repository, right here at MDL:
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/44359-Official-Microsoft-Windows-Vista-Direct-Download
    burn it to a dvd, or a flash drive, and using a usb dvd drive or the flash drive
    erase the hard drive and do a clean install, and if the computer did not care to accept your key, use Daz's marvellous loader :
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/24901-Windows-Loader-Current-release-information

And read all about it before you start so you won't get lost
    ...T

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

#3 Smart86, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
    (OP)
    Sorry for that confusion ... I'm not trying to upgrade , I'm trying to install Vista Home Premium 32 bit . I'm trying to make the laptop legit by using the license keys that are underneath the laptop . I downloaded a Vista home premium version from this site . When I'm doing the windows installment part ? I see in the install process I can only do a custom installment , the upgrade part is greyed out and it say that the upgrade part is disable . So I'm only allow to perform a custom install which I ended up doing . Afterwards once windows is loaded and view the System info , it shows Vista Home Premium upgrade , so my question is why upgrade ? I hope this makes more sense ? In another word why does a full retail windows version show up as a upgrade and why is the upgrade part disable ?

4. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #4 tonto11, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @tonto11

That is wrong thread for the purpose; he needs to follow this.

6. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

#6 Smart86, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
    (OP)
    Which thread should I respond to for help in doing what you say I should do from that link over there or in here ? like where does one get this slic bios info at within the bios?

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  8. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

I hope this is the thread your talking about Tito ? Any ways I was looking at post #5 from Tito link and I don't understand what SLIC is or whether I have it in the bios . How can I tell whether I have it or not ? thanks

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    See the post above yours to download the tool to check SLIC. You also need to read this.

10. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  11. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

For me to understand this I'm going to use that toolkit to tell which types of keys I have , either SLP > System-Locked Pre-installation or Certificate of Authentication keys , Yes ? And afterwards then I will know which one of the two I have to use to make the right OEM disc ?

12. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

#12 Smart86, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014
    (OP)
    No offense redroad your post at the time I didn't have a clue what you posted but I see now this is not the case if I need to create the correct oem disc , I just though I could download a iso OS file and just use that , which would of been soooo much easier for me but I see that not the case

13. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #13 redroad, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  14. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

I did read what you gave me but I never understood it . That is another reason as to why I asked about having a dummies forum, that and to take things one step at a time for me to understand ... Pls forgive me again I don't get your above post . You say I don't need to create a OEM disk, right ? But then how do I install Windows or do what your saying in your post ? At the moment there is nothing on the laptop , the hard drive has been formatted .

15. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  16. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

#18 Smart86, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
    (OP)
  17. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

#20 Smart86, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
    (OP)
    Just so I can understand what I done . I used Utorrent program with a magnet . The magnet part are basically a file that one use's on a torrent program . But in my case that magnet wasn't a good one , because that windows version hash didn't match up with msdn website hash for that windows version ? In either case I'm still glad I'm learning something new and grateful to you for teaching me all this stuff . I try that link to download Windows and couldn't the first time , something about its been downloaded to many times already , it said to try later which I am now doing so . I also download that hash program . Yes, I do need to understand the hash part more but one step a time I will get there , thanks ... I will post back once I finish downloading and seeing the hash is good ...