Windows Blue will be available via Store for free

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by moderate, May 14, 2013.

1. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Does anybody know how they are going to deliver it?
    Is it like a service pack? Because i activated my Windows 8 with MAK.
    So i doubt that i will be able to use that same MAK to activate a freshly installed Windows 8.1.
    But if it is just like a service pack my system should stay activated. Afterwards I could probably make a backup of tokens & co and use that to activate a freshly installed Win 8.1

2. trlkly

trlkly MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2010
    In what way do you have to give personal information to sign up for a Microsoft Account? I sure didn't. The store is worth it. Honestly, I see no reason to have upgraded to Windows 8 if you aren't going to use the Store, as that's the only thing that makes it different from Windows 7. Even fast boot is available in Windows 7--it's called hibernate. (Plus UEFI support, if your system can handle it. UEFI support has existed since Windows Vista.)

Unless you install Metro apps by other means, of course.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Just use any E-Mail address and sign for an new MS Account and get access as needed! Easy task and fast way to go!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. zeeus

zeeus MDL Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Taking about account, would it be advisable switch from Local Account to MS Account? I mean, to prepare the "Stage" to the 8.1 update !!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I would think it's the only way!

6. MeMy&Myself

MeMy&Myself MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Why would the EU do a lawsuit because the need to sing in with an ms account? It is nonsense, oh wait... that's why. Anyway, we all knew SP has been always free and yet ppl loved to speculate about w8.1 Price. We all know there will be an standalone fot IT and yet we make fuss about Windows store. :confused:

7. ms-7

ms-7 MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2011
  8. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    It is more likely and I fully agree here :)

9. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    No, that is incorrect. You can associate a MSFT account with the Windows Store while still using a Local Account for login. I, for example, use a Local Account for the system login and within that login, I have a MSFT Account for Windows Store apps, and a different MSFT account for the gaming stuff.

10. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    No, I was refering to #44 and meant using a MS a/c as a user account.(like what #50 says)

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    OK, how to log on to store? I could log on to my different MS A/C's from within IE or Chrome (and other browsers I guess) but try to open store on an computer with local account, I could not get store open, also not an option to use an MS account!

12. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    What are you talking about? Use the Store app.

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That was the Store Apps from Start Screen of Windows 8 Pro legit! Windows were used with an local, non-ms account!

Is that clear enough?

14. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Your Install is glitched. The store App always worked on local account and still does.

15. ms-7

ms-7 MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2011
    #56 ms-7, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
    If you are on Windows Local Account and want to Login into Store Only (because you can't download any metro app without MS account) try this...

Store > Settings Charm Bar > Your Account (1st Option) > Sign in button

So in this way Store with MS account Connected can be used with Windows Local Account.

Right but you can't download Store Apps without MS Account. Once an app is downloaded you can sign out of Store if you want in Windows Local account, your app will work fine unless it require Your Store Account to be connected (Example is Some XBox Live Games).

16. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    #57 bchat, May 17, 2013
    It does for me, at least for getting free apps, which the 8.1 update is supposed to be.

MY BAD - I d/l from GAMES, not Store.

17. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @Shenj: Sorry, my install was/is NOT "glitched", it's just that I couldn't download from Store without MS Account!

@ms-7: I could not test that at this time because I'm still in the hospital (2-3 weeks). At my laptop, which I use now, all is working fine while using an MS Account only.

18. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #59 Shenj, May 17, 2013
    Windows does not require a MS account to use the Store App.

The Store App requires a MS Account to download apps, it asks you for one if you try without, so whatever you said before just makes no sense.

19. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    What pisthai meant was if he use a local account as user, then he was unable to use his MS account to download from Store, even if he was able to log into hotmail, skydrive, etc.

A remote possibility is because a MS account can only use a app for 5 pc's, and when he tried to download an app when in local account, it so happened that it was out of quota. :p