windows boot manager on wrong drive

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mreyna16, May 3, 2013.

1. mreyna16

mreyna16 MDL Novice

May 3, 2013
    a lil background...

i have an acer 5 ultra and used a tutorial (that i cannot post a link to because i dont have 20 posts) to install windows 8 via usb and succeeded but with problems... somehow i when i was moving the boot files from the ssd drive to the hdd drive i instead moved them into the usb drive....

for some reason i cannot upload the pictures to show some information when i use the bcedit command and also images of my partitions using the disk management app on my windows but if you want to see them they are on page 4 of that link (i also posted there), one of the pictures also shows another problem i have which is not being able to delete or reparation one of the volumes i made

so in a nutshell, i have to have my usb plugged in in order for windows to boot and i want to move the appropriate files needed from the usb to the drive so i dont have to need to plug in my usb everytime i wanna use windows and also get rid of that volume that im not able to

if you need more info bout my partitions and stuff like that ask me, but i think that should tell you how it is

Attached Files:

2. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Theres lots of different ways involving the cmd, winpes, etc that others will add im sure after this post, but the easiest way for me to explain and for you to do is to download "EasyBCD" (free) and delete all entries and then rebuild the BCD in tools while you are booted in Win8.

Another way is to remove the usb, and boot from a DVD of Win8, and do a repair boot. It should repair the bcd store.

3. mreyna16

mreyna16 MDL Novice

May 3, 2013
    can you show me how to do it step by step with easybcd? i have it installed as i knew there was a way using that tool but to be honest i dont know how to used it correctly and im scared to try because last time i used it it messed up my whole system

ohh and i dont have a cd drive nor do i have access to an external cd drive

4. mreyna16

mreyna16 MDL Novice

May 3, 2013
    @halikus

took your advice and used easybcd to install on my c: drive successfully

question is, is it directly in my c: drive and can delete all the other partitions? including the partitionon my sdd drive?

5. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
  6. mreyna16

mreyna16 MDL Novice

May 3, 2013
    I merged the partitions on my hdd disk and now I'm stuck on a black screen with movable cursor right after my system logs me In my username

7. mreyna16

mreyna16 MDL Novice

May 3, 2013
    I think it has to do with some driver because right before I merged the partitions I was installing and updating all my samsung drivers and I also believe that because if I press ctrl+alt+delete I get the menu to start task manager

8. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Hmm. I don't have any SSD drives, so im not familiar with the approach your updates took. If you get the task manager, it leads me to believe you are logged in to the desktop, but something is either paused or corrupt in the startup process that is interfering with explorer loading. In taskmanager, try start new process and type explorer. It may finish booting to the desktop. Also, a good old "sfc /scannow" in cmd may help. Logging in with the admin account rather than your user account may help. Because you merger partitions, its really tough to know what exactly is causing your problem. Mentioning the software or updates you did before stuff went buggy may help also. Oh, and you can try booting to safemode.

For what its worth, i'll assume if it logs into your account, you at least got the original BCD part working. The BCD would also have nothing to do with a blinking cursor on the desktop.

9. mreyna16

mreyna16 MDL Novice

May 3, 2013
    First of all, thanks for your help...

I can only see the menu, clicking on task manager doesn't do anything. Is there a way to log in the administrator acct without having it enabled? I can't log in safe mode, for some reason pressing shift+f8 doesn't do anything... I read somewhere online that u have to enable that feature but of course I can't because I can't use my desktop. Also, since I cabt boot from usb because somehow when the boot files got installed there by accident now I need to re do the windows usb to try n fix errors on my comp and I need my bros password to use his comp and make it...

10. mreyna16

mreyna16 MDL Novice

May 3, 2013
    I reinstalled windows using the other guide and it work, I was under pressue because I have college final exams this coming week and maybe that's why I messed up so much... ill read the entire thread of the guide to see what partitions I can delete and which ones I can't and if I have any questions ill post em up here since this is a more active thread