Windows Defender - The worst AV ever?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Windows_Addict, Feb 7, 2020.

1. emet

emet MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Sorry if I'm asking this on a wrong topic, but what is the best AV to use for free? :dontgetit:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Windows_Addict

Windows_Addict MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2018
    This is very subjective and for me, the deciding factors are performance impact/resource usage, number of ads for their paid products, and the intervention it requires for a lifetime of working.
    Regarding threat detection and self-protection, most major av's brand perform well enough, I've my analysis here, your mileage may vary.

3. motoad

motoad MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2010
    What version of WFC are you using. I have an old version running on my Win7 machine. Waiting for my new Win10 laptop. I am running version 5.0.0.2. After that version the company was sold. I di not like the changes that were later implemented in WFC, so I still stick with that 5.0.0.2 version.

4. LiteOS

LiteOS MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2014
    same

5. drew84

drew84 MDL Addicted

Mar 13, 2014
    Script was last updated 26th Nov. 2020.. is probably the best solution for managing Defender, currently

From the script itself

6. excalibur2

excalibur2 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2015
    For me it was choosing between very good, free, bitdefender and avast and only chose Avast because I could temporarily disable it for erm cough, cough, opening certain programs.

7. Space Dandy

Space Dandy MDL Junior Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Not sure I understand right here but if you mean turn off bitdefender protection shield you can do so easily and quickly in Bitdefender free and you can make exceptions to files and folders too?

8. Iftekar Khan

Iftekar Khan MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2019
    compare to other free antiviruses Bitdiffender/AVG/Avast.. I see WD is performing much better, I only replace WD if I have either BitDiffender Int. Sec or Kaspersky Int. Sec or Total Security, ... I see WD is walking step by step and improved a lot over time and considering the Microsft Windows Operating echo system, having a hasslefree antivirus free of cost is more than that a user can expect ...

9. emet

emet MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Are you serious about that? :huh:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. excalibur2

excalibur2 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Well Russian Kaspersky total security used to be free from Barclays bank UK and they stopped it, whether they knew something that we don't...who knows. Was Barclays pressurised by US or UK governments? Again who knows?

11. ohenry

ohenry MDL Member

Aug 10, 2009
    The way I look at it goes something like this. If I were working on some top secret, super sensitive project for the US Government, something that Vladimir Putin and the Russians really wanted to get their hands on, then I would probably not use Kaspersky. Not that I think Kaspersky is in cahoots with Putin, but as they are based in Russia, they might be subject to pressure from their government.

I do not think Kaspersky is evil, or bad, I don’t think they are interested in stealing my banking information and making off with my paltry savings. So I am perfectly content using Kaspersky on my personal computer. I have been an Eset user for many years, but last year when my subscription expired, the best deal I could find on Eset was twice as much as the best deal on Kaspersky, so …

Which comes back around to the best AV for free. If you’re not willing to pay a few bucks (Kaspersky cost me $15 last year on sale), then just go with Windows Defender. It is “good enough”, at least in my opinion.