Windows Developer Preview build 8102 Discussions

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Skylined, Sep 14, 2011.

1. bedrock

bedrock MDL Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Does this build have Hyper-V included?

2. segobi

segobi MDL Addicted

Jul 14, 2009
    Yes it does...just go to software / features and enable it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Thomas1124

Thomas1124 MDL Junior Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Same here, completely annoying.

remove/rename windows \ system32 \ shsxs.dll...

4. antip0q

antip0q MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Slow & buggy. Not impressed at all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I saw right now the store is not available right now....:D

6. ReelFiles

ReelFiles MDL Addicted

Mar 30, 2011
    wondering how i can rdp to my server since i used live id for my user acct. Also how the hell do you exit an app?

7. Zukariji

Zukariji MDL Member

Mar 11, 2011
    You can't exit a Metro-style app without using task manager... It's ridiculous, I know. They should add the option and make it compulsory for all apps, like in the context bar (Win+Z/Rightclick), would be much less of a hassle than opening task manager... BUT on the plus side, at least when you don't have a Metro app in use, it's not actually using any of your system's power, because it's suspended. It does use a small amount of RAM though still which is a bit annoying but chances are you won't really notice it.

Um, question for anyone who knows, but when I press Win+F to show files, and I click files, despite having a large number of files on my system, absolutely nothing shows. Just the green background and "Files" in the top left. Can I fix this? Using apps to upload stuff (EG using Socialite to upload photos), the Files thing shows files fine, just not when I try to view them on their own...

8. nosferati87

nosferati87 MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2011
    It wouldn't much of a problem if apps that are not visible do not consume much memory and CPU time. The real problem is that these still show up in the list when you switch apps (swipe to the center from left border).

Btw I found out how to add custom app tiles to the start screen. Add a shortcut in the startmenu folder (usually C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu). Programs that add a shortcut to startmenu when they are installed therefore show up automatically in the new UI.

9. poedoom

poedoom MDL Junior Member

Sep 15, 2007
    #29 poedoom, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
    Running smooth for me x64, i really like the new ie, haali splitter installs and plays mkv,s but cant get no DD or DTS ive tried ffdshow but no joy :( Have not tried any games yet which should be interesting with the new ati driver on windows update, my xfi card works now which did not work on previuos build for some reason....again had driver off win update, will let u know how it games if i ever get around to fixing audio probs. So far alot better than old build for me

Update sorted my DTS and DD i was using x64 ffdshow like a plum lol 4got media players 32bit.

10. nosferati87

nosferati87 MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Can't find a way to show pictures or play music or video in the new UI. Has anybody found that out already?

11. Fchioa

Fchioa MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2011
    I can't find it too:(

"Now playing" "Video" and "mail" apps

12. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    The most important Apps are missing in the WDP xD
    You could Program your own Photo viewing application etc, then you have on in metro style :3

13. ReelFiles

ReelFiles MDL Addicted

Mar 30, 2011
    I found most programs automatically got pinned to the start screen. But if it doesn't, just right click on the .exe and 'pin to start menu' makes it happen.

CoreAVC 3.0 was a no go, but 2.5 worked even though it gave errors during install. Ac3Filter seems to work fine, still no .mkv thumbnails.

14. akim14

akim14 MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2011
    is there some xbox support already?

15. jangle

jangle MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2011
    Ati Radeon Graphics drivers

hey all the preview runs fine on my pavilion dv6qe however the only issue is with my graphics driver i have a radeon hd6400 and i cant seem to get the drivers to install can someone help

16. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    You need to enable .net frame work 3.5.1, uninstall the engineering samples driver first, then install your driver.

17. thientruc

thientruc MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2008
    I cant change the display brightness on my laptop? Is there any way to sovle the problem ?
    I'm using Windows Developer Preview English, 64-bit (x64)

18. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    Go to your system setup - hit F2 or Delete key when boot up, change video brightness there. Also right power icon, go to power options, and change there.

19. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    .NET Framework v3.5 not included on this build ;

Ask for connect on Windows Update to enable :(

20. jblues

jblues MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2011
    Can you guys play flash in the Metro-style version of IE? I just downloaded Flash 11 RC and it still does not recognize Flash.