Windows Explorer has stopped working......

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Hannibal Lecter, Jan 28, 2011.

1. FukenGruven

FukenGruven MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter MDL Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    #22 Hannibal Lecter, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
    (OP)

Good morning, I hope I am rested a little now.... ;-)
    I was hoping that either the repair disc or the Windows 7 new installation disc itself would simply repair or exchange "C:\Program Files\Win7codecs\filters\DivXMFSource.dll", as this is the problem? That shows you how much I understand of software, because I saw that was the problem.......
    I did find another person who had the same person and he was told to: "On the MKV TAB, choose to disable the DivX MF splitter. " But of course without saying how to do that.

If it is the codecs, fine with me. I can simply delete one of them and, as I found out, all that happens is that the thumbs will no longer appear, which is perfectly fine with me. I found:

K-lite Codec Pack 600 Full installed (which I did), and also Windows 7 Codecs v254, according to the Advanced Uninstaller..

I have now done what Enigma wrote: "Since you obviously installed this as a part of a codec pack instead of from the standalone package, open up an elevated command prompt. Type:
    regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Win7codecs\filters\DivXMFSource.dll" and the computer answered, that it has done as told.

Does it make sense also to uninstall one of the codec packs? And if yes, which one?

And FukenGruven I already checked the start up, and the only non-MS that is activated is my Avast...
    And that has re-installed itself properly again and is running again, so the command prompt must have done the trick already..
    Now I tried that autoruns software, and I find about 75 entries in "codecs".... how do decide which ones to keep?
    Under logon in autoruns also, only avast shows up...

And finally Kouryu, sorry for feeling rude, but simply pointing out the .dll file was no help, I needed to be told what Enigma wrote...

So, thank you all very much, and please accept my apologies
    And let me know if you think I should delete one of the codecs sets.

Everybody have a nice weekend, HL

3. myluck1990

myluck1990 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2009
    to uninstall win7codecs
    go to start
    all program
    to the shark700 codecs folder
    open that folder
    right click on setting application inside that folder
    run as administrator
    pop up window appears
    there are a lot of buttons on the pop-up window
    click on uninstall button
    then uninstall shark700 codecs freeware
    done
    window explorer will be back to normal

good luck

4. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    he's going to have to try that in safe mode, and if the uninstaller won't run in safe mode, he's going to have a hard time getting that to work in normal windows
    you can't click on "start" when explorer isn't running!

5. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter MDL Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    No, no, it is fine now, Enigmas help was what I neended....
    command prompt. Type:
    regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Win7codecs\filters\DivXMFSource.dll"

everything is working again. It was no virus, it must have been a corrupted movie mkv file

So I should indeed still uninstall win7codecs? I have the choice, I can uninstall that one, the k-lite one, or, as everything works fine now, I can simply leave it as it is... that "Win7codecs\filters\DivXMFSource.dll"" has been removed by Windows 7, it should no longer give me trouble.... ???

6. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
  7. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    That's irrelevant. This problem is Explorer crashing (not locking up). And the crash report specifically points the finger at a third-party COM DLL. These are two completely different issues, not related in any way other than the superficial fact that both affects Explorer (through very different means, I might add).

8. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    I know it is
    and I had that high cpu usage problem before... and I had NO wav files on the desktop, but I did have a corrupted icon (due to some poorly built XP app)... I found some other article that broadly states "media files", so it could possibly fix that too
    regardless, applying the hotfix worked for me, and it won't hurt for him to use it