Windows Home Server RTM, where??? (read inside)

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by FaberfoX, Sep 15, 2007.

1. FaberfoX

FaberfoX MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2007
    Has anyone seen an RTM version floating around? It went gold on July 17 but so far no scene release according to nforce or isonews. I'm running an RC build with 3x500GB drives and it's working beautifully but I'd like the (relative) peace of mind the RTM would bring...

I can't believe there's not more interest on WHS, I've been using it for a while and is IMHO the finest done by MS.

For those who haven't heard of it, it's a customized server 2003 with mainly two features:
    1-Automatic daily backup of all your networked pcs (in a really clever way, where if you have 3 xp machines, the windows folder will be on the backup only once). You can mount old backups as a new drive letter and restore the machine in case of a crash booting from a cd.
    2-Adding new HDs as you see fit, with the capacity going to a pool. A bit more expensive than RAID 5 but much easier to upgrade / maintain. You enable duplication on the shares you want and whs makes sure there are copies in at least 2 disks. When you add a new HD (internal or external) the existing data gets 'migrated' to balance the free space on each drive.

The RC is available on public trackers, you can install without a key for 30 days and get 180 more days by getting server 2003 trial, I'm sure we'll see a key/crack/workaround as soon as it gets in the open.

If anyone can get a hold of the RTM I'd love to learn about it. I'm even seriously thinking about buying it ;) but it's not for sale yet.

2. FaberfoX

FaberfoX MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2007
    :(
    No RTM for me? Can't believe this hasn't been leaked yet...

3. Shadowman2oo7

Shadowman2oo7 MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2007
    There is an OEM available on Demonoid but comes with no key.

4. XeoNoX

XeoNoX MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2007
    just use server 2003 enterprise, it has everything the home edition has plus more

5. daymang

daymang MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2007
    #5 daymang, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
    What is WHS?

Server 2k3 enterprise has lots more than WHS, as WHS is a castrated version of Server 2k3 SBS, with a simple front end for home bozos, sorry! Users. No way does enterprise have the Bozo front end.
    The front end is useful for non tech users as it doesn't have drive letters,
    just a 'lump' of storage. Install more drives, bigger lump of storage, with redundancy. Sort of castrated software RAID 5!
    I quite like it!!!
    Simple is GUUUUUD, cos it don't make my brain 'urt.
    The install is a bit tortuos, it must reboot about ten times before it is available!!
    And it it needs a 65Gb+ partition!!
    Here are some working Keys:
    P2H7J - VDDX2 - KKVFY - TVWKK - F43JD
    CFT77 - 7RWGK - KQ7MW - K8CYX - DVRVY
    DK6PM - CQW9C - X7CY9 - BFKVY - X3TRB
    W4777 - J2W8T - C4KQF - 78GXJ - KRVMM
    VQ3PV - TPCD4 - DVQ7D - M8GBM - V89FB
    JDX4J - J4KVB - VT9V6 - H6RYK - MMKFB
    Then you need the AntiWPA hack to stop it asking for activation
    Just google it!