windows host, multi guest virtualizer comparison

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by Baloo, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Baloo

Baloo MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2016
    I would like to get some educated opinions on what would be the better hypervisor to use for my situation. The host will be windows 10 Pro - stable branch. My options are:

Virtualbox for everything
    Hyper-V for everything and "deal with it" on Linux guests
    Hyper-V for windows and Vbox for everything else

My guests will for sure be Parrot OS and Windows insider fast ring. Eventually I will be testing Kaosx and I will probably try to run a game on Ubuntu or mint but Windows and Parrot are the most important.

In the past I've tried the following but couldn't get it to work.
    ps If you're are a fanboy then great just back-up your opinion.

other ps I searched for this but the last thread I found was 2012 and thing must've changed since then.

2. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    IMO, I would choose one and stick with it instead of having multiple hyper-visors to manage. If you don't wanna pay for VMware Workstation, Virtual Box and Hyper V are a good alternative. You need to ask yourself what you want to accomplish with the VMs.

If you just wanna have Windows as you main machine and spin up a VM every now and then for testing; any of the hyper visors will accomplish this.

There are some UI differences between each hyper visor however they would all accomplish the same take. Best bet is to test each one out and find one the suits you.