Windows Integration Guide - murphy78

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by murphy78, Sep 5, 2013.

1. spidernz

spidernz MDL Senior Member

May 20, 2011
    Hey Murphy,

was looking through your Windows Integration Guide for the part where you show how to command line extract a particular image (Such as just Win 8.1 MC Pro)into an iso from you 58-in-1 Aio or the Windows 8.1 8in1 x64 en-US Jan2015. I saw it written in one of your threads by you but I am having trouble finding it.

Could you please also add it to your guide.

Thanks for the 8in one updated iso and the guide its really helpful.
    You're Awesome :D

2. son goku

son goku MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2013
    Hello Murphy
    I was looking at this thread Creating a Windows 8.1 AIO with Media Center manually by ambidav and read at its 140+ page that it's not able to create a UEFI bootable Windows 8.1 AIO ISO eventhough the guide has instructions to make it UEFI/BIOS bootable. Do you know if that guide can really create a Windows 8.1 AIO ISO that is UEFI bootable?
    And by that, do I need to follow your guide here at your thread to make it a x86-x64 UEFI bootable iso?

3. sevenalive

sevenalive MDL Novice

May 14, 2008
    #783 sevenalive, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2020

4. ashish.k

ashish.k MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Sir, I was trying to run setup.exe from latest Windows 8.1 iso and nothing showed up. This problem is also reported on your torrent comments on kickass. Any idea what may be the issue?

5. Duckz

Duckz MDL Junior Member

Jan 6, 2010
    #785 Duckz, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hello everyone.

Just after a little help with trying to make a Win 7 AIO, both x86 and x84.

I'm doing everything manually (which I prefer). I've done a few images before, so I know the basics of what I'm doing, but I am having trouble trying to get Enterprise in.

DISM says the index of the enterprise wim is 1. I can export the x86 version, but when I attempt to export the x64 version, it tells when it has the same name.

Here are the commands in order I am doing:
    Code:
    imagex /export "x64\sources\install.wim" 1 "x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows Home Basic"
    imagex /export "x64\sources\install.wim" 2 "x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows Home Premium"
    imagex /export "x64\sources\install.wim" 3 "x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows Professional"
    imagex /export "x64\sources\install.wim" 4 "x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows Ultimate"
    imagex /export "x86ent\sources\install.wim" 1 "x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows Enterprise"
    imagex /export "x64ent\sources\install.wim" 1 "x86\sources\install.wim" "Windows Enterprise"
    I can understand why the error would be happening, because I have "Windows Enterprise" as the name for both x86 and x64, but during windows install, there is a column which has the different architectures, so I chose to leave them out of the name. Plus, if that's the case, why wouldn't I have to add x64 to the 4 previous commands for the other versions I have already exported.

Thanks for any help.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pricecaptain

pricecaptain MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2015
    Duckz, You must add something to make the names different, such as the 32-bit / 64-bit or x86/x64 at the end of the description name, duplicate names will give errors..
    Windows Enterprise x86
    Windows Enterprise x64

or
    Windows Enterprise 32 bit
    Windows Enterprise 64 bit

7. Poseidon-30

Poseidon-30 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2009
    Great post Thanks :worthy:

8. BaiginLong

BaiginLong MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2015
    Hello Murphy78! You have been my hero for some time now.

Firstly, I would like to say thank you for all the quality work you've produced and will continue to produce and release to us for free on a regular basis. You are nothing short of being a deity in the world of Windows deployments!

Now, for the first time, I hope I can offer you a small quip about your latest Windows 7 5-1 iso that may be constructive.

While most of the changes in this release are amazing, I find that having the wim reintegrated from being two "swm"s forces me to use NTFS, which rules out my use of YUMI for multiboot usbs. This is NOT because YUMI can't use the NTFS partition table, but because NTFS breaks certain distros of linux and rules out persistence altogether.
    Other than that one singular problem, everything you've done is amazing.

Also...perhaps it is a long shot request and mostly irrelevant for most people other than those who must work on legacy systems for a living...could you perhaps create a new release of Windows Vista with all of the new innovations that you have recently implemented (and splitting the wim into two "swm"s would be nice, but I'm not sure if that's possible on Vista)?

I humbly await your response and to be graced with the opportunity to influence a future release.

9. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. greenworld5588

greenworld5588 MDL Novice

Jun 4, 2014
    thanks, nice guide

11. PauliusPet

PauliusPet MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2015
    #791 PauliusPet, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    Hello, Murphy78

Not sure you are reading these posts or not, but let's hope... First of all, thanks for the job you do, it's a great stuff and you can feel yourself very well about sharing all the things just for 'Thank You'.
    However, I am facing one annoying problem with your Win7 SP1 images (not using much of others, might be affected as well). Last days I am trying to get rid of building bootable USBs everytime you release new image. So I boot destination PC with WinPE, map the shared UNC with your .iso mounted in it and then run the setup.exe. However, after a few clicks I receive 'Windows could not display the images available for installation' error - I guess this happens when I should see EULA page. I tried another image (had an untouched MSDN DVD from 2008) and that worked well. Of course I tried to search for a solution, but what I found was only cases when OEM media (link #1) was used to build images, that's not the case with your releases. 2015-03 (link #2) release was used and lead to mentioned error. Same with 2014 September, November editions. Any thoughts?

Regards,
    Paulius P.

Link #1: social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/07fe03dd-9798-4583-8d0b-dc963c95434c/windows-could-not-display-the-images-available-for-installation?forum=winserversetup
    Link #2: thepiratebay.se/torrent/11760241/Windows_7_SP1_5in1_x64_en-US_Mar2015_murphy78

12. tor2k

tor2k MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2015
    "diskpart import script", "Win8.x install.esd compression (Saving Space)" and "AIO (All-in-One) creation and scripting" I think was very useful for novice.
    I feel you've spent a lot of time to make such accurate instructions. Excellent work Murphy! :tea:

13. Capum130

Capum130 MDL Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Is there any requirement of installing Windows update agent package before everything, such as a order of things?
    Can I just pack all important updates (the recommended and optional I shall install manually) and integrate them on the image regardless of prerequisites ?

14. IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude MDL Member

Oct 12, 2011
    @Murphy78

Firstly, your work and this guide are an inspiration!

I started playing last year in small steps using your Jan2014 release as a guide and created my own SP1 AIO which I updated every so often.

I unknowingly overwrote my updated base wim recently with one of your older 2015 releases and have just come to realize the same issue as PauliusPet except I have Serva setup for PXE booting.

I grabbed your May2015 release to continue on with save me creating one all from scratch again and the problem is still there.

Have you any idea what causes it or if theres anything we can do our end?

I have tried several things I found on Google, including re-exporting each index to a new when setting new names and descriptions but no luck.

Many thanks, I've learned hell'ova'lot from reading these forums!

15. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
  16. IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude MDL Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Ill definitely take a look at that script but it does 'feel' a little OTT for a simple network install.

I say 'install' meaning using the 'normal' GUI way rather than a 'deployment'.

I've been able to teach my missis how to PXE boot and reinstall if she needs too but I think that would blow her mind lol

Id be most concerned with hosing the current partition scheme (C=60G D=xxxGB) and wiping out a partition of data but if I could get it to ignore them and only install to the first partition then I might have to go that route.

Do we know if theres a reason why it give the images error message?

17. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    You could have an install.cmd file in your winpe to:
    - FORMAT C: /FS:NTFS /Q /V:OS /FORCE
    - dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:Z:\Source\Install.esd /index:3 /ApplyDir:C:\
    - bcdboot C:\Windows

Assuming you have also mapped Z: and your wifes data is on D.
    Your better off using newer winpe which has updated dism..

I'm not familiar with the setup errors as I always use the dism method these days...

18. IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude MDL Member

Oct 12, 2011
    #798 IAmTheDude, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
    That sounds awesome! I'm slowly getting there, never really had the time to sit and play last time I did this and that was before I had the information I had now :)

I do have a small question though, integration related.

If I have a wim with five indexes and mount them all (D:\mount\1 D:\mount\2 etc) and want to remove features (say Games) from every index, is there a way to write the command to apply it to all mounted indexes with one blow or do you still have to do each one separately?

IE - Dism /image:D:\Mount\* /Disable-Feature ...

Actually, heres a better question that would help me no end:

Can you run Dism /Online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName: from SetupComplete.cmd?

That way I could have it disable all the stuff I dont want on any edition without having to mount each index!

19. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    #799 Flipp3r, May 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    You can mount multiple indexes but I would recommend you mount each index one at a time to service them.
    The dism /online /disable-feature would probably work too.
    Another option after you have applied the OS is to copy unattend.xml into C:\Windows\Panther (you may need to make the Panther folder).
    The unattend.xml can have your custom setup. Found this snippet through google:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
        <servicing>
            <package action="configure">
                <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package" version="6.1.7601.17514" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="" />
                <selection name="InboxGames" state="false" />
            </package>
        </servicing>
    </unattend>

20. IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude MDL Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Wow, finding out some really cool new stuff here that I hadn't come across!

I don't do much to the mounted wims bar disabling a few features and removing a couple of packages, If I can get away with doing it all through SetupComplete etc it means I can build a $OEM$ folder that I can drop into any iso/distro and have any edition setup the way I like it!

Cool stuff!

All that info is much appreciated! I've got some new stuff to play with over the weekend now :)