Windows Integration Guide - murphy78

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by murphy78, Sep 5, 2013.

1. kastrel

kastrel MDL Member

Mar 7, 2013
    #101 kastrel, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    WHY WHEN I TRY IN THE MODE AUDITY CTRL + SHIFT + F3 I CANT DOWNLOAD UPDATES IN 8.1? IS LOOKING FOR ATUALIZATION ... 5hrs AND NOTHING!

THIS IS NORMAL?HOW HAVE SOLVED? OR MS FINISHED WITH THE PARTY? ....o_O

2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Normal way with 8.1 , you can abort :D

3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    MS has disabled it for Audit mode. That's why I'm integrating updates to my install.wim...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Win8.1's Windows Update actually has 2 new things:
    1) First time you boot into windows after installing, it cannot download and install any updates. You have to reboot after installing if you want to update.
    2) Audit-mode updating is disabled. Much the same way it is blocked on first boot, it is blocked in audit-mode. There is a workaround, and it's a pain in the ass.

Audit-mode updating:
    -Install system and create a temporary user
    -Reboot after everything is fully setup and logged on
    -Run Windows Update after the reboot
    -Install any software while you're at it if that's how you prefer prepping your capture
    -Run %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep /audit
    -After rebooting into Audit mode, go to control panel and delete temporary user account from control panel (delete all the files option)
    -Use the sysprep window and either generalize or don't depending on whether you want to clear hardware information or not
    -capture

5. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    You say it can't update on first install, that's interesting. It did take a long time on my last test, but I believe it did start after 30-45m, without a reboot. Next time I'll throw in an extra reboot before updating, just to be safe.

About the pain in the ass: I use an autounatted.xml for the first (clean) setup that automatically creates a user with admin rights, with autologin. This way, it's actually not that much trouble. Just one extra step (the extra sysprep /audit). All the rest can pretty much be automated.
    And the .wim from this procedure installs much faster in my tests!! (faster than injecting with DISM)

6. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Well... What I meant to say is that it cannot update the first time it *checks* for updates...
    In your situation, if you leave it long enough, it will retry eventually after timing out.
    You can also run "net stop wuauserv" after checking for updates and it will fail, then you can retry and it will work on OOBE mode

7. BIG-BIN

BIG-BIN MDL Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Great write up.

8. kastrel

kastrel MDL Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Thanks murphy 78, that command...
    dism / online / cleanup-image / startcomponentcleanup / resetbase...
    I do it before or after updating?

9. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    It depends if you want to make the updates non-removable.
    The whole point of the resetbase command is to delete the uninstall information and make the updates permanent

10. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    If your user is "Administrator", can't you sysprep /generalize & capture? I would think the user would be removed & you don't need to back to Audit mode...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    As you might have read, in my testing I did use the Administrator account to do the updating ("user" mode, not audit mode). So now you say I could even skip the "sysprep /audit" step and go straight into "sysprep ... generalize - shutdown system etc" and capture.
    Interesting... I'll test that next...
    I would still like to hear from others if setup from "sysprep" wim is faster for you than "dism inject" wim. (For me it is! 5 min instead of 11 min in one test on a slow laptop- after apply/copy stage).

12. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    No. It will give everyone the option to try to log onto that temporary admin-based account, and fubar their options.
    You have to go into the real admin account using sysprep /audit and remove that account

I've found a better way of including the GA stuff.
    We know it sets things to pending status integrating 2883200, but that's not too bad actually if you don't mind doing a sysprep capture afterwards.
    You can do it straight into audit mode with ctrl-shift-f3, resetbase it and then generalize/shutdown sysprep.

I've been doing this in VirtualBox. I tried mounting vmware disks to my system but it always failed to actually let you read/write the data.
    So in VirtualBox I created a vhd-based vm.
    I went around integrating all of the available updates including the 2883200.

Mount the vhd in diskmgmt.msc, and capture using dism after deleting the administrator account folder
    I've also had to re-do all this for the newer VL re-releases because when you actually try to include the vl versions mixed with updated non-vl versions it is extremely large.
    They don't mix.
    It's like oil and water. The x64 version was like 4.2 gigs or something. That's too large.

I've played with the x86 versions using all original versions, dism integrated updates, and audit-mode to clear the pending status for resetbase.
    I've gotten the x86 aio down by 300-400megs over a mix between old/new
    So there is a mix of superficial changes inherent with the re-issue.
    Probably has to do more with the file properties than the actual files.
    You guys can test hashes if you're really bored.

If there was really any problem with the older files they'd re-issue the non-vl versions.

13. kastrel

kastrel MDL Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Still no there solution for WU works in audit mode with an administrator account?(without create a second account user)....it will be forever this way?:(

14. eric33

eric33 MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2012
    hi murphy78: can i do Prepare/Capture Creating Bootable VHD instead of creating a new partition or using another hard disk

15. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    #117 abbodi1406, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    You can install windows on vhd using offline install mode
    meaning using Dism (or imagex) to apply wim image to mounted vhd file
    then add the vhd to the boot menu using bcdedit
    e.g.
    Code:
    @echo off
    setLocal EnableDelayedExpansion
    echo.
    for /f "tokens=3" %%A in ('bcdedit /create /d "VHD Test" /application osloader') do set guid=%%A
    bcdedit /set %guid% device vhd=[C:]\Files\Test.vhd,locate=custom:12000002
    bcdedit /set %guid% path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    bcdedit /set %guid% locale en-US
    bcdedit /set %guid% osdevice vhd=[C:]\Files\Test.vhd.vhd,locate=custom:22000002
    bcdedit /set %guid% systemroot \Windows
    bcdedit /set %guid% bootmenupolicy Legacy
    bcdedit /set %guid% detecthal Yes
    bcdedit /displayorder %guid% /addfirst
    echo.
    endlocal
    pause

VMWARE supports using vhd file as harddisk :D
    but you have to create it separately using diskmgmt.msc or diskpart

16. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    #118 murphy78, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Confirmed. Just created a VHD, went into properties and initialized it as MBR (probably not necessary), then added existing VHD drive to VMware 10.0.1
    Thx abbodi1406, yer the man...

This is a way better solution than using virtualbox.
    Virtualbox seems to hate when ANY other programs are running.
    Likes to fail booting and resetting if you have a web browser or a game open or anything...
    It's just too picky to multi-task...

17. eric33

eric33 MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2012
    thanks murphy78 for the fast reply

18. kastrel

kastrel MDL Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Murphy i would like to know if I can use this wimscript.ini in windows pe to capture the image of windows 8.1?
    if this is not the wimscript.ini to windows 8.1 what I can use?:confused: THanks!
    [ExclusionList]
    BCD
    BCD.LOG
    ntfs.log
    hiberfil.sys
    pagefile.sys
    swapfile.sys
    "System Volume Information"
    RECYCLER
    Windows\CSC
    [CompressionExclusionList]
    *.mp3