Windows Isn’t a Service. It’s an Operating System

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Mr.X, Dec 31, 2018.

1. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Off-topic (sorry Mr.X): Amazon overtook Microsoft today to become the most valuable company. MSFT is now currently #2.

2. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    Seeing as a Number 2 is having a :poop: thats very appropriate.

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Service on the go?

4. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    Service down the poe. :laie:

5. BigRedSun

BigRedSun MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2017
    I'm literally overwhelmed by the amount of Windows 10 types of ISOs available and without a clear purpose. Entreprise, Enterprise N, Buisness, Consumer, LTSC, LTSC Consumer, LTSC 1809.111....Fall Creators, Creators Fall. I just want a new LTSC iso because the one from october I installed is really buggy. Instead I need to get a degree on MDL and a mastery on Microsoft Business model to get it right.
    Seriously microsoft, life should not be this complicated
    - Download ISO
    - Pay for it or KMS
    - Install
    - Move on with life

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    At the moment there are only Enterprise 2016 LTSB (+N), Consumer (full AIO), Business (full AIO) and 2019 LTSC iso's, no separate N (except 2016 LTSB) or enterprise iso's. And no 1809.111 either.

7. BigRedSun

BigRedSun MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2017
    Not sure if bait..but I'll bite. So many versions of something end up confusing people, Also current LTSC seems to be 17763.195

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Officially released 1809 iso's:

1809 build 17763.1 and 17763.107:
    Code:
    Consumer
    Business
    2019 LTSC
    1809 build 17763.194
    Code:
    Consumer
    Business

9. BigRedSun

BigRedSun MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2017
  10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Your "point" is not factual, that's my point;)

11. BigRedSun

BigRedSun MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2017
    Of course it is, you are an idiot, that's a fact.

Another fact would be its not practical to have an OS with this kind of fragmentation, that's easy to understand...even for you.

12. oilernut

oilernut MDL Senior Member

Jul 8, 2007
    It is simple, Microsoft only offers 2 versions to the general consumer, Home and Pro. The others are business versions, and businesses will have more knowledge in which version they need. Don't get mad at Microsoft because you want to run a business version and not willing to educate yourself on the differences.

13. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    #35 Krager, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    I'm actually surprised by the lack of difference between consumer and business editions. The business editions still have a lot of useless crap that is just unprofessional fluff for a serious business environment. Even LTSC which is their most hardened business edition still has too much gay fluff in it. Really bugs me actually, MS has always been mickey mouse to an extent, but they've outdone themselves.

Yeah some day I'll run a real operating system full time like BSD. I should have done it this time, but I bought a laptop computer unfriendly to Unix. I swear this is the last Windows machine I buy (how many times have I said that already, but I keep coming back for more torment).

14. Windows_Addict

Windows_Addict MDL Expert

Jul 19, 2018
    LOL, MS literally can't make it any simpler than it's already for the end home users.
    Here how it goes,
    Type, Windows 10 on google,
    Goto the first site,
    they already made a simple guide on how to install/upgrade windows 10.

Any other info regarding editions is meant for corporate admins, you shouldn't expect MS to explain it to the home/nontechnical users.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. BigRedSun

BigRedSun MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2017
    You sure know a lot about software for business, take any GNU/Linux distro you have regular OS / Server OS, that's a much more intuitive way to approach it. Besides, even if you would want to ''educate yourself on the differences'' they are not clear at all.
    Also, I said LTSC not a consumer edition, I don't want auto update features and not being able to disable completely those updates, It's not reasonable to use .bat and forum made workarounds for something that should be OOB.

I wouldn't recommend you BSD as your daily driver, unless you run some variant like MacOS. Which in fact is easier, and a hell more expensive, but they make it easy for the end user.

16. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    #38 Krager, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    On a personal level I've been using Linux and BSD since the i386. I've also used commercial versions of Unix in a professional environment. About the only thing you can't really do with BSD is computer games, though there are some, but very limited. There's also some specialized software not available for those platforms. So it's why I've always used Windows as my primary system. Windows still is the defacto OS for software developers.

The point is that with every new version of Windows I'm getting more and more willing to take that hit on software availability to get MS out of my life. Lots of people have done it and I can imagine it's liberating.

The big caveat is you have to buy hardware supported by those systems which I failed to do before jumping into win10. Had I known I would have bought a BSD friendly laptop computer. So I'm stuck with win10 until I buy a new machine.

17. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    For me, Windows 8.1/10 is a service. Windows 7 not.

18. BigRedSun

BigRedSun MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2017
    Windows being the defacto OS for soft development is kinda an outdated idea, not even games. Everything is going to a more cross platform environment, i.e Chrome OS running Android apps or MacOS trying hard (unsuccessfully yet) to use iOS apps.GNU/Linux been working this way since the dawn of mankind, i.e Wine or any other software for GNU/Linux has a Mac/Win port.

Plenty of laptop makers that support GNU/Linux, mostly Ubuntu or System76 with their Pop! OS which is based in Ubuntu anyway, as for BSD, they are on the other side of the spectrum, servers are their thing and they do it quite well, i.e FreeNAS, of course if you like it you can use it but it will be a hassle to get the right hardware and make it work. I don't advocate for software masochism.