Windows not genuine - Don't know what else to do

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Scylin, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Nope, but some software or drivers conflicting with an update could cause a fatal error restart which would cause startup repair to run. Sleep or hibernation is another thing that on some systems can wipe the SLIC from memory until the systems rebooted. That's fixable by changing the memory settings though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #22 PhaseDoubt, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
    My point about the first part of my comment is Microsoft is always trying to "beat the hackers". It's an officially stated part of their corporate culture. The reason they went to activation was to stop the practice of buying one license and installing a program on multiple computers. All that is very well known and has been "out there" for many years. Nothing new there.

What I'm interested in are any patently new things they are doing, comments by the gurus on the effectiveness of any new tactics and what can be expected in the near term. I already know about Microsoft's stated goal concerning what they perceive as "piracy". All indications are there's nothing new with Windows 7 activation and we all know about Windows 8.

3. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    @ PhaseDoubt
    Windows 7 won't change just like Vista didn't, and as far as Microsoft are concerned they've already killed loaders with Windows 8. They didn't really kill them though as I already have a loader that works for Windows 8, but I can't release anything due to the OEM DM keys being unique, plus the fact that it needs extra work to run on anything but a virtual machine. But my point is that they have Windows 8 out of the door and they're already working on Blue and 9.

Anyone saying MS are trying to kill loaders is just spreading FUD. And just to be clear, if some loader activated systems could be deactivated then it would also effect some BIOS modded systems.

Both the OP and "Ballbag" were fixed by following instructions that have been around for ages.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bobo66

bobo66 MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2009
    #24 bobo66, Mar 22, 2013
    Had the same issue this morning "not genuine" No update, no action other than logging onto this machine on W7 1st time in a while (been using Windows 8, this is more or less a test machine). Used the the suggestion in Post 11 and it worked.

Updated without any further issues.

It still really is getting to be time to migrate to Linx.

5. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #25 Daz, Mar 22, 2013
    Most likely that'll be caused by Windows 8 as it writes a new boot sector.

Things normally work best when you open up msconfig on Windows 8 and set Windows 7 as the default OS.

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I couldn't agree more. That's why when the claim was seemingly made, I was very curious. I wasn't going to immediately jump on the FUD bandwagon, but it sure came to mind.

7. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    No claims from my side

I still think that they will jump on it, like they jump on code's toolkit & other KMS solutions soon after win8 release... Before this, in my knowledge they never bothered to block client activated from Toolkit.....

8. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #28 Daz, Mar 22, 2013
    Microsoft have moved on with Windows 8, secure boot and new license methods, but the thing with MS Toolkit is that it activates their newest OS whereas the existing loaders can't.

Before Windows 8 was released and there was word of Windows 8 OEM systems using a unique key per system I'd said that KMS will be under fire next as that's what people will be using to activate Windows 8. I was right as that's what you're seeing now. So it wouldn't make sense for Microsoft to even bother with Windows 7 activation at this point as it functions nothing like KMS and they can't alter the OEM channels at all.

Windows 7 = An offline OS with offline activation methods.
    Windows 8 = Designed to be online and contains no offline activation methods.

The WAT update on Windows 7 targets ID's and system related activation files with modified permissions. Loaders don't modify file permissions or system files, and as they use OEM keys the ID's can't be blocked.

9. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    That is right but not complete, M$ acted on\blocked toolkit\KMS activation before Cody's newer release that can activate 8\2012
    Another fact is, what ever they did to block KMS activation. its still affecting windows 7 PCs not win8(even after 4 months)...

10. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #30 Daz, Mar 22, 2013
    You missed the other stuff.

The loaders a permanent offline method. KMS involves ID's, networking and it requires a service/scheduled task, so it's never going to be as secure as a loader.

11. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    No i did,t missed it i know all these, Thanks to you :biggrin:... I am silent reader of your thread since loader released. And other Winslic Loader, OM Dhar, forgot other...:p

I don't want to streatch it.... Coz its your project you know better than any one else....
    It was just thought coz it won't be hard to detect GRLDR & all that stuff.

12. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #32 Daz, Mar 22, 2013
    The OEM checks Windows 7 and WAT does are very basic. Anything that uses online activation methods or is permission related got the most attention.

The loader is hard to block, especially my version of it due to the encryption and how each users version once installed is unique to their system. It'd be a minefield for Microsoft.

13. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    #33 CaptainKirk1966, Mar 22, 2013
    There are, of course, legitimate uses of grub4dos, so the mere presence of a file named grldr would not by itself be an indication of an activation hack. Daz, however, gives his variation a random name.

14. woot332

woot332 MDL Senior Member

Feb 18, 2011
    So everyone gets unique binaries and encryption keys?, kinda sounds like polymorphic code:D.

15. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Random name, random encrypted data and the file size is also random. So it looks like any other file on the HDD to any file scanner. Then of course there's 2 alternate installation methods, which is why I say it's like a minefield for Microsoft.

I see the loader working for longer than most peoples hardware will last. In other words it's always going to work for as long as your hardware supports it.

@ woot332
    Pretty much. Every single time you install the loader it'll be different.