Windows not waking monitor unless I press ctrl alt delete on wife's user account

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mixolyd, Oct 2, 2015.

1. mixolyd

mixolyd MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2015
    Hey guys,

Having a strange issue on my desktop (Win10 latest Insider build) and not sure how to troubleshoot. On my user account, when the monitor turns off due to idle, I can wake it just fine with mouse/keyboard. On my wife's user account, once the monitor turns off, the only way I've found to wake it is to hit ctrl+alt+delete. Both users have admin privileges... I have latest Radeon drivers (although I doubt it's a display issue). Anyone have a clue why this would happen? I submitted feedback to MS incase it's a bug but curious if anyone else has run into this.

Thanks

2. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    had the same bug with GTX970, had to change bios wakeup params to solve it

3. mixolyd

mixolyd MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2015
    You had the same bug where it affected only one user? What wakeup pararms did you change? I have Gigabyte mobo

4. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    I think you'd be better to post the model, as every gigabyte has different UEFI/BIOS options. This way anyone can look at what you have in your UEFI/BIOS.

5. mixolyd

mixolyd MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2015
    Oh, sure. it's Gigabyte Z77X UD3H.

I'm wondering how it could be bios related if it only affects one user. I'll try anything though. This is pretty annoying :eek:

6. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Thank you. Have you set their account as a admin / adult account, so they can change sleep pattern in windows ?.

7. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    You only have - Power On By Keyboard, and the ErP settings, -Determines whether to let the system consume less than 1W power in S5 (shutdown) state. (Default: Disabled)Note: When this item is set to Enabled , the following functions will become unavailable: PME event wake up, power on by mouse, power on by keyboard, and wake on LAN.

These will not have affects per user in windows.

8. mixolyd

mixolyd MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2015
    Yes both accounts are set as standard account with admin privileges.

9. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Under wife's account go to control panel, mouse, hardware tab, highlight mouse and clock properties, click change settings, go to power management tab, uncheck allow this to wake, reboot and do the same but check allow and reboot.

Is the mouse on a PS2 or USB 3.0 or 2.0, can you put it on the real 3.0/2.- top port.

10. mixolyd

mixolyd MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2015
    Thanks for the help. I was able to fix by deleting the user account and making a new one. Working fine now :clap: