Windows NTFS Compression and Native Boot VHD/ VHDX? Issues or Conflicts?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by crashnburn, Jun 30, 2015.

1. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
  2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And why not to install CLEAN 8.1 in first place? 2 upgrades = something is likely to be buggered

3. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Dont have the time to reinstall all the apps and set them up the way I want to.. Outlook and 50+ applications and configurations.. :) So.. can you help me with the question I posted :) ??Please?

4. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Like Sebus said ... Clean install - If you have compressed the NTFS FS and upgrade all the way to 8.1 and you find at the end that VHD dose not like compressed file's you will have wasted a whole day for nothing. you would be best to uncompress ntfs fs and update to 8.1 and then create VHD . but for the time it take's you to install win 8.1 as a vhd right off the bat .... seem's stupid to me.
    you could have win 8.1 vhd installed in what 20-30 min and then spend all day putting your app's and setting's on you will have more fun this way than the other :)

Hope that helps see you around in MDL :) :hug2:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Soulfate

Soulfate MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    NTFS compression is reversible so you can test it by yourself and uncompress files if it has issues. I've compressed my Installer folder (and others) on my Win 8.1 without any issue.
    Sometimes MSI files are duplicated into "Installer" folder. With the help of a little search, you can find duplicated MSI files and replace its with Hard Links (one real file but it exists into several folders). This is also a tip to gain some MB and can be combined with compression.

6. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    I just did a trial run of Win 7 > 8 > 8.1 on another HDD. Worked fairly well. Will optimize it for my actual SSD Install.
    The last time I had to move from Win XP to Win 7 it took me more than a week... Because I wanted things a certain way, exactly how I want them :) Lots of path changes and what not.. crazy amount of time it took. Still stuff pending on that damn XP hard drive partition.

Hopefully this will get easier with the advent of Win 10. Trust me, it was not my idea of FUN. No way :) Ha ha! I even created a Guide for myself (on Google Docs) to refer to in the future.. I may do so for Win 7 / 8 / 10.. Maybe once its clean.. put it up online :)

I havent compressed anything yet. I was considering compression of some 'rarely' used folders. So, I asked if anyone had any 'experiences' with them. If I do try that thing out I will share and post back. But, thanks again for the caution and inputs.. haha! I cant stand fresh re-installing ... But, I think once I am on Win 10, I will consider doing a Fresh Win 10 install and doing a Win 10 (upgraded) to Win 10 (fresh) migration / mirror.

I like this guy :) haha! Thanks Soulfate..

I like this idea. I am curious about "your approach" to "search" for duplicated MSIs? What paths and what tools would you use?