Windows Sandbox, making permanent changes?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by no1special, Apr 27, 2019.

1. no1special

no1special MDL Junior Member

Jun 25, 2017
    I really like Windows Sandbox, but I wish I could modify its initial state so it has things like C++ Redistributables already installed. There are also Windows settings I would want disabled so it's not doing as much in the background, which makes tools like Process Monitor more useful.

Lastly it would be nice to have the Windows be activated so you could use Local Group Policy, which works better than registry edits in some cases.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this?

2. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    There's no point. Just use Hyper-V.

3. no1special

Jun 25, 2017
    I do use it, but Windows Sandbox is ran as a process rather than as a virtual machine. In many circumstances it is much more convenient. I just want to make it even more convenient.

I would rather this thread stay on topic and not turn into a discussion of Windows Sandbox vs Hyper-V.

4. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    I think bfoos was giving you a suggestion of what you wanted to do.

5. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    It's a virtual machine still, with all the typical VM characteristics. Since it has so many limitations and is in such an early stage, the suggestion of using HyperV was good, as it's basically the same product, but you actually have control over its settings and features. Sandbox is pretty cool, it's a one click "let me test random stuff" solution for people that don't feel like bothering with virtualization, but since you seem to desire control over what it does you're just not the intended audience.

6. no1special

Jun 25, 2017
    I know. But it's ran as a process rather than as a virtual machine.

I would rather this thread stay on topic. If no one knows a way to change the initial state of Windows Sandbox, that's fine.