Windows Server 2008 R2 as Desktop OS

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by albsat, Aug 12, 2009.

1. moosh101

moosh101 MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2009

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. shahed26

shahed26 MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2008
    Server 2008 R2 is more stable and faster than windows 7, even with all workstation stuufs enabled.

Am currently using R2 as my main OS, with all those windows 7 features enabled (as workstation) and it runs slighly more faster and also more responsive as well compared to windows 7.

Sure windows 7 is a great OS, but server R2 has that slight advantage in terms of stability, responsiveness, and overall performance..

3. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Once you can prove that with numbers and statistics i'll take it... until then i do not see why people like to run a Server OS as Desktop Client :confused::confused::confused:

4. k2wl

k2wl MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2009
    problem with tv tuner card on server 2k8 r2 !!!!

i cant run tv tuner in my 2k8 r2 ???? drivers installed fine.....
    but applicatio for tv tuner cant run or detect the tv tuner ???
    any body hav solution

5. k2wl

k2wl MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2009
    thanks for answer!!!!
    i will try and let u know !!!

6. yaluza1967

yaluza1967 MDL Member

Jun 6, 2009
    because i have a key for R2.

7. relung

relung MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
    Hi,
    Need some advices on how to set the TCP/IP (addr) for accessing the web and other 2 client under same DNS.
    or perhaps refer me to other Tutorial URL plse.
    or need to enable the DHCP server in R2 to manage them.
    Thx

8. blackcobra

blackcobra MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2009
    Even I need to know...in XP we can go CP..-->Network Connection --> LAn connection etc etc ....

How do we enter IP address or TCP/IP properties

9. 22TKD

22TKD MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2009
    I use windows 7 at home and use server 2008 R2 at office ,very good

10. moosh101

Jul 13, 2009
    Hi,

1. Open Network and Sharing Centre in Control Panel
    2. Click the Local Area Connection link. This will open the Local Area Connection Status window, similar to the Windows XP Network Connection Window.
    3. Click Properties and this will display a list of the current protocols.
    4. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
    5. From here you can enter your IP address details.

I have attached a image of where the link is located in Network and Sharing Centre.

I hope this helps,

Shane.

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. EtherealMonkey

EtherealMonkey MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2009
    After reading Shane's response, I can also add:

<win>+<r> ("windows key")
    "cmd"
    "ncpa.cpl"
    (there may be a prompt for elevated privileges)

---

I didn't add this before, because I have never used 2008, but I recognize the panels are definitely Vista-esque. And, I know that ncpa.cpl is still available in Vista.

12. blackcobra

blackcobra MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2009
    moosh101 , Thanks a lot for the help... I could figure it out yesterday..:)

13. neige

neige MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2009
    R2

I use R2 as workstation everyday and it is damn lot faster than 7 !

Nothing to say !

There is a R2 release around on the web, it's already converted into workstation with 7 boot screen and ..... !

Regards.

14. moosh101

Jul 13, 2009
    #35 moosh101, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
    Server 2008 R2 v.s Windows 7

Interesting responses about 2008 R2 being faster than Windows 7. I have used both, Server 2008 R2 as my main workstation and now Windows 7 Professional x64.

I found the lack of prefetching and Superfetch in 2008 R2 made the operating system slightly less responsive than I now find Windows 7 with Superfetch. Don't get me wrong, Server 2008 R2 is a great, very stable, and very reliable operating system that runs well as a workstation, but I think Windows 7 has a slight edge over it in terms of operational performance.

Server 2008 R1 was way better than Vista as a workstation and many that used it as such claimed it was the Vista they always wanted, or Vista as it should have been. Since then, however, Microsoft has addressed many of the bugs that plagued Vista and has remoulded it into Windows 7. At the same time Server 2008 R1 has been enhanced to provide even better server productivity, sustainability and reliability, which of course means that Server 2008 R2 is less geared towards being converted into a workstation as its predecessor, hence the lack of prefetching and Superfetch. (which aren't at all useful in a server environment). I guess what I am saying is while Server 2008 R1 and Vista were intended for the Server and Client markets, the new release operating systems are even more geared toward their respective markets than there predecessors. This of course means that there is less reason to run Server 2008 R2 as a workstation as there was in converting Server 2008 R1.

If you have the option to run Windows 7 as your main workstation operating system I think this is the best bet. However, I do not think that Microsoft should be charging the full price for an operating system they should have released in the first place. Yes, for new systems without an OS, or those upgrading from Windows XP, but for all of us who had problems and nightmares with Vista, Microsoft should be giving it to us for free, or at least for a minimal upgrade fee. (just as Apple charges a minimal upgrade fee for those upgrading from Leopard to the new Snow Leopard).

Shane.

15. ioniancat21

ioniancat21 MDL Member

Apr 27, 2008
    #37 ioniancat21, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
    I have a friend who's using 2008 R2 on a laptop as a workstation and has no issues. For me, selecting an OS is about need, so if you want a workstation OS along with some server-based tools and services, this should be your move. If you don't need or want server tools, I'd opt for a Windows 7 Ultimate instead as I'm not into bloat and it would be a waste of your resources to have all these additional services running if you don't need them. In other words, I wouldn't use 2008 R2 if my interests were to play games and listen to music as Windows 7 has more available in the way of media playback with the Media Center and compatibility for your games.

Also note, their will be extra configuration you'll want to do to make your 2008 R2 server more workstation oriented like disabling the Shutdown Tracker, enabling Desktop Experience settings, enabling the Themes service, etc. while Windows 7 is ready to rock out of the box. Food for thought........

16. elrashidy

elrashidy MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2011
    after installing it a password was required to log on as admin what can i do

17. vrosa

vrosa MDL Member

Jan 31, 2011
    I used Windows Server 2008 R2 as a workstation for quite a good time and I loved it, but now I'm back to Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64. The only problems I faced with 2008 R2 were some issues with ATI Catalyst Control Center.

18. applegate

applegate MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I Like the Terminal Server options in Server 2008 R 2 as a Client Desktop in my domain.

Thats why I prefer server and not W7.

So i f you do not want to use media center, the server options comes with a lot of nice extra things you can use that are not available within W7.

But, both Server and W7 are great stable and reliable products.