Windows Server 2008/R2 Terminal Server Licensing

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by datapimp, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firebrain

firebrain MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2010
    Did click on link on first page

This method no longer works though is there any reliable way to get licenses

2. tbote

tbote MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2009
    You can activate the server without CALs, just as license server, so it will work in Terminal Server mode but the clients will only works for 90 days. When you reach that limit delete HKLM\software\microsoft\mslicensing in the client and you'll get another 90 days ;D Also you can make this every time Windows starts (with a script) and the "license" will never expire.

If you works with non-Windows clients, for example Thinstation, just use a prefix for the TS-Clients names, for example 001-xxxxx, when you reach the 90 day limit change it for 002-xxxxx....

It's just a trick, but works.

3. firebrain

firebrain MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2010
    which country and license did you use. PM me if you dont wanna post on forum

4. applegate

applegate MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I guess the country doesnot really influences the activation using a Select License. Other countries also worked.

See youre PM

5. steeb

steeb MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2009
    Still works on server 2003 r2....
    Search google page 2 ... Doenst matter country.

6. mafiasilk

mafiasilk MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2010
    help?

Anyone help me to add CAL's into my remote desktop server?
    I haven't got any agreement numbers and would appreciate the help

7. fedewt

fedewt MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    #48 fedewt, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
    This my first post, hoping to help who need.
    I found in google a registry hack that may help in this case, it have to be run in client pc and block the asking of server license in terminal services.
    I test in 2008 and 2008 r2 and work well.
    If someone interested and not break roles I can post it here.

PS:Sorry for my bad English... :p

8. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
  9. claude75

claude75 MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2010
    I found this tips on the net.
    It works fine and writen in another post you can script the reg key deletion.

•Reboot then login to the Windows Server 2008 computer using an Administrator account. Click the "Start" or "Globe" button on the PC desktop and then click the "Search" box. Type the "%WINDIR%\system32\lserver" path into the "Search" box. Press the "Enter" key.

Locate the "TSLIC.edb" file in the "Lserver" window and right-click on the file the select "Rename" in the drop-down menu. Type "tslic.old" into the tile name field and press the "Enter" key. Reboot the Windows 2008 Server computer.

Start one of the Windows Terminal Services client computers that established a Terminal Services connection to the Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services computer during the 120-day trial period. Login to the Windows Terminal Services client computer using the credentials of an account with Administrator permissions. Click the "Start" or "Globe"button on the computer desktop then click "Run" or Search." Type "regedit" in the "Run" or "Search" box and press the "Enter" key.

Click the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" folder in the "Registry Editor" window that appears then click the "SOFTWARE" folder. Click the "Microsoft" folder then click the "MSLicensing" folder. Locate the "CAL TS" keys in the right pane of the "Registry Editor" window. Right-click on every "CAL TS" item one at a time and click "Delete" in the menu that appears. Close the "Registry Editor" then reboot the Windows Terminal Services client computer.

Repeat the registry edit procedure for each Windows Terminal Services client computer that established a Terminal Services session with the Windows 2008 Server Terminal Services computer during the 120-day trial period.

10. ra303

ra303 MDL Novice

May 17, 2009
    tried with a few Select no. no luck..

11. M4Al

M4Al MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2011
    I too have been unable to find any working agreement number ...

12. M4Al

M4Al MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2011
    Let me amend that. I did found a good one, so it still works, just keep trying!
    It took me over an hour to find a working one.

13. kingwilliam

kingwilliam MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2009
    :eek: any member have valid select/enterprise agreement number can activate VDI cal :worthy:

14. mephistopoa

mephistopoa MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    any news regarding this? I need to test TS for some courses I'm doing but 120days it too short for what I need to do :/

15. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Read post #53 again

sebus

16. mephistopoa

mephistopoa MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    I've tried some agreement numbers released just a few months ago but no luck, always the same problem with M$ saying the details regarding the agreement number are wrong. I'm not sure which methods for it I should use lice how many cals, device ou user, or any other setting :/

17. Katczajk

Katczajk MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2010
    hi everyone,

its really funny, i've tryed to activate my windows sbs 2008 terminal server and it was done with status OK
    now i need TS-CALS for working, i've tryed a number around like 362547 with other option, next one i click on 2008 and ts per user, entered the number 50 and the server say 's
    your new license is installed now....

but now my question, why the server activates me 50 user cals without any valid number?

18. caiaphas_

caiaphas_ MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2011
    Hi All;
    I use "unlimited terminal services connections in windows terminal services 2000 and 2003" document and it works like a charm !!! Just Google it..... :worthy:

19. Katczajk

Katczajk MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2010
    there was an error during my post,
    i just tryed this number again and the server does not activate my license....
    i remind the number i entered before .....

Enter any license agreement with 7 digits, enter 3647589 -> click on license you want up to 9999 (not more posible during turn)
    Server 2000,2003,2008 + R2 does not matter
    and thats work.
    please give anyone feedback if this work or not?!?
    before you enter install license activate server the server automatic over microsoft.
    Enter Name A, Lastname B, Company AB, and your Land, the second page could be empty.