windows Server 2008 R2 vs DNLA

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by songa, Jun 13, 2014.

1. songa

songa MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2014
    Hello, its my first post in this forum...
    Could someone help me with the following:

The Samsung smartTV uses the allShare system to "see" all media in local network.
    Its DLNA compatible.

Configuring windows media player in Windows 8.1 through the STREAM
    option (WMP), setting the "Automatically allow devices to play my media."

In this way, I get to see the film through the Samsung SmartTV
    (by the wireless network).

OK, until this point everything is ok and everything works very good!!!

Problem:

In windows Server 2008 R2 standard had not windows media player and windows media services.
    Now I have both installed on 2008 R2. But the windows media player don't have the STREAM option, like windows 8.1
    'll be missing something? I forgot something?

I'd like to be able to leave the possibility to share these films by the server 2008 R2 Standard.
    In the same way as the windows 8.1

I read others posts in this forum, however I did not have any success.
    (I would have put the addresses of these posts, but I do not have the right to post links)

I know there are third party programs that do exactly that, but I would just use Windows services usually.

Could you help me with this?

2. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hey Songa,

I'm afriad I've got some bad news for you, your not going to get it to work (properly) the way you want.

We've two Samsung SmartTV's (series 6 and 8) and have tried most versions Windows Server as a 'Media Server' for the familys media.

It is possible to get your SmartTV and Server2008R2 or Server2012/R2 to work together. But unless your use a 3rd party media server as Sebus says. You'll have to use the TV remote to select the server though the 'Sources' button, then navigate through the UPnP file system levels to find the files you want. Only for the TV to moan about file compatibility. I've never got any version of Windows Server to 'Send' files to the TV's. (sidenote: rename any .mkv's to .mp4 and the TV will moan less)

My solution is similar to what your doing with Windows 8.
    All the media folders on my Server are shared out so everyone can 'Read' them. And I use a combination of WMP, XBMC, VLC and Nokia PlayTo to send the files straight from the Server to the TV's. This allows every PC, Laptop, Tablet and Phone in the house to send media to either TV. Plus a third 'Dumb' TV which has an Xbox360, which used as the 'Play To' target.

You could use an Essentials version of Windows Server, which would allow more devices will be able to see read your media files, but file navigation is still a pain.

3. songa

songa MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2014
    dear sebus, thank you for your reply...

Install Desktop Experience is mandatory when installing service.
    I followed all the posts to install the services... may be still missing something else!
    (I would have put the addresses of these posts, but I do not have the right to post links)

I know there are third party programs that do exactly that, but I would just use Windows services usually.

dear ZaForD, thank you for your reply...

I have some experience with this issue...
    A friend of mine has a server with windows 8 and I configured it to work with your (him) smartTV.
    Windows 7 and 8, configuring windows media player through the STREAM option, is
    all that is needed to be able to share films for smartTV.

I ask, why is not possible to install some services on the server and
    have the same opportunities that we have in windows 7 and 8?!?

I know there are third party programs that do exactly that, but it is not an option to me.

Please, teach me how to use this "Essentials version of Windows Server", that you suggested!!!

4. songa

songa MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2014
    dear sebus, thank you for your reply...

"Windows Server is not designed for media streaming." this does not mean that it can not do this!!!

Alias, yes it can:
    technet_microsoft_com\en-us\library\gg671020.aspx
    ...and a lot of other docs teaching how to...
    BUT! as I do not understand deeply this issue, I can not make it work properly as I want.
    The examples I've been seeing, it seems to me, that this stream that Technet teaches to do,
    is another kind of stream, different than I need. (I seem to be the same type that is used in radio).

"You do not like it, complain to Microsoft." Why do you say that?!? Made I some comment about it?!?
    (I think its kind of rude comment)

dear sebus, the goal of this thread is: trying to place a resource on the server, using the tools of the own manufacturer.
    I am not "scared" of 3rd party programs!!!
    They are fancy and such... They exist to make life easier for many people, I know that!!! BUT, it is NOT my scope.

dear sebus, think a little bit...
    If I open this thread, knowing that I can use the third part program... What sense would it?!?
    If I open this thread, knowing the solution, why I do this?! To make the MDL users spent their precious time with me?!

Thank you for trying to help me, but I will continue with my goal to not use third party programs to solve my problem.
    (Unless someone who knows the subject well tell me that there is not a way to do this)

5. songa

songa MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2014
    ...Just for the record:

there was a user with nick sebus, but it seems he decided to take his comments.

6. Bytebuster

Bytebuster MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2013
    ...happens.

Btw, you could've used eg. the Reply With Quote button instead of the Reply button.... ;)

7. songa

songa MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2014
    dear Bytebuster, thank you for your reply...

Sorry for my ignorance and thank you for your support! :)
    (I'm not very familiar with existing resources)

8. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    As I understand it there are different types of UPnP server. The one that Windows Server uses, is a basic one that just 'Serves' Which makes sense as Windows Servers are intended to be used 'Headless' so there'd be no one at the keyboard to do the 'Streaming'
    The Windows Clients version has more options, including 'Streaming' and 'Redirecting'
    (by redirecting I mean sending the files from the Server straight to the TV, without them passing through the PC that's controlling the process)

As for why its like this? my guess is, its just down to the fact that the UPnP Service is thrown in as a freebie. Windows Server was designed and has been developed over the years. To be a Secure, High Level, Business tool. Integrating something as in-secure as DLNA UPnP services isn't something MS or their business customers want.

There are versions of Windows Server that are aimed more to the SoHo market. Which have extra or what MS call 'Essential' services added to the Standard versions of Windows Server.
    I can't find the name of the Server 2008 version, but the Server 2008 R2 version is 'Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials' and the Server 2012 version is 'Windows Server 2012 Essentials' for Server 2012 R2 versions you can install the 'Essentials' feature once the Server has been installed.

But all these really add is a dashboard to make controlling the extras easier. You still only get a basic UPnP server, meaning you won't get it to work the way you want.
    The only way you'll get it to operate that way is by adding a 3rd Party server, which I know you don't want to. But you'll have to decide, whether you want 1. No 3rd Party Servers and Basic Functions or 2. 3rd Party Servers and a Fully Functioning media server.

My Server is running 'headless' and I don't want to have to login to adjust any 3rd Party Servers, so I use the basic server options and UPnP players on my devices to 'Redirect' my media to the TV's.