Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter and File Sharing Server (SAMBA / CIFS)

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by RamGuy, Sep 22, 2013.

1. RamGuy

RamGuy MDL Member

Jun 27, 2009
    I just migrated my Windows Server from Windows Server 2012 Datacenter into Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter, going from a 8x Western Digital RE-4 2TB hard drive configuration in RAID1+0 into a 10x Western Digital RE-4 2TB hard drive configuration in RAID5 while I was at it as we needed to expand our storage as we had about 150-200GB left.

Made a backup of the server contains, updated the motherboard BIOS, made all up-to-date drivers ready to get going with a Windows Server 2012 R2 installation. It all went smoothly, there really isn't much difference setting up Windows Server 2012 R2 compared to Windows Server 2012 so I made a full EFI installation, tossed all the drivers in there and started adding my file server features and roles to get this puppy up and running.

Unfortunately I have ran into some snatches along the way.. After configuring the new hard drive lineup using the Storage Pool feature in Windows Server 2012 R2, creating a RAID5 configuration, formatting it as ReFS and restored all the data from the backups we are starting with the whole file sharing (SAMBA / CIFS) nonsense with all it's share permissions and NTFS permissions (yes, we still have NTFS permissions even with ReFS) which can prove to be a pain in the butt at times.

I configured it exactly like I did with my previous Windows Server 2012 installation so one would figure that wouldn't prove to be a problem, but it seems to be something off with my configuration at some point:

I've got four shares;

- Multimedia
    - Downloads
    - RamGuy (My private share)
    - KristinElida (Girlfriends private share)

All shares are configured with everybody @ read / write access + my own and my girlfriends login's with read / write access. It's just simpler to make the share wide open and do the filtering through NTFS permissions.

On the Multimedia folder I got my own user with full control, my girlfriends with read + execute (no messing up my metadata or anything..) and everyone with read + execute. On Downloads everyone and their mother have read + write, and I've got full control. On my private folder everyone expect myself are blocked, and I've got full control and on my girlfriends private folder it's the same just with her account having full control and everyone else blocked.

This should be all good and dandy, right? Well, something is clearly off. I am the only one being able to access anything, when using my girlfriends account she can access the server and see the folder but not accessing any of them, it just times out. Same goes if I try to connect our network printer (HP LaserJet Pro M276NW) or anything else to any of the folders, even the download folder which should be wide open.

The funny thing is, if I try to connect using IP-addresses instead of server-name it is working flawlessly for everyone besides our OS X systems. So there seems to be some IP / name resolving issues going on, but it's not affecting my desktop only all other systems for some inexplicable reason.

And for some reason my OS X systems are not able to connect at all, not by server-name or IP. It's the same thing going on here, it's able to access the server but not accessing any of the actual folders.

All this was working flawlessly on Windows Server 2012 with the same settings, so what might I be doing wrong here for it not working at all this time around? It's not that big of a deal not having the name resolving working, as long has I can access using IP-addresses that's good enough, but I have no clue on how to get my OS X system connected as they don't working with neither IP or server-name...